• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Olympic throwing event?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
obviously the javelin, you use your whole body in rhythm and unlike a discus you can actually kill things with it. Evidence below.

also this is probably a general sports thread

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
obviously the javelin, you use your whole body in rhythm and unlike a discus you can actually kill things with it. Evidence below.

also this is probably a general sports thread
I feel like a discus to the head or shotput could probably kill, but the javelin would be a easier weapon

Teja.

Global Moderator
Shotput seems like an interesting sport, the best women do only slightly worse than the best men and the top 25 throws has multiple women.

Also the woman's all-time world record is higher than the winning score for men in the 2016 Olympics.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Shotput seems like an interesting sport, the best women do only slightly worse than the best men and the top 25 throws has multiple women.

Also the woman's all-time world record is higher than the winning score for men in the 2016 Olympics.
Do men and women not use shots that are different weights?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Do men and women not use shots that are different weights?
They certainly do. In my youth I was in an athletic carnival and entered the shot putt. Many years later, when teaching, a student produced a programme for the current athletic carnival and my name was listed as the record holder from years ago. I didn't have the heart to tell him I used a ladies' shot on the day as the heavier shot wasn't available. I wrote to the organising association and informed them of this but received no response.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Shotput because it is one that NZers do well in and can beat drugged up Eastern Europeans.

I'd like to see this in the Olympics one day though:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I got thrown around a bit by a Norwegian gymnast after meeting her at a bar in Darling Harbour one night during the Sydney Olympics. That remains my favourite throwing event to this day.