• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The balls of the century

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why is the Mushtaq ball better than the one to Strauss? Both are bowled to left-handers from round the wicket and spinning out of the rough; if anything Warne's ball is fuller and wider and has to be spinning at virtually right angles (therefore more sharply) to clip the leg stump.
I never said it’s better..

I am saying you guys always talk about it.. but mushy did it years before him and yet none of you knew about it.
Could it be because he is a subcontinent player? Maybe who knows.

Take away his ashes wicket, warne is a bellow average at best!! Mind u.. those English players always struggled to play spin!!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I never said it’s better..

I am saying you guys always talk about it.. but mushy did it years before him and yet none of you knew about it.
Could it be because he is a subcontinent player? Maybe who knows.

Take away his ashes wicket, warne is a bellow average at best!! Mind u.. those English players always struggled to play spin!!
ironically Mushy's biggest fans for a while were probably living in Hove, England

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of the ball of century!!!

why this doesn’t get the same accolades as the Shane warne one???

That is ****ing ridiculous!

- Against one of the elite players of spin
- And mosy importantly off the pitch, not off the rough

I's say this should take the nut if Murali's one to Ramesh doesn't.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is the Mushtaq ball better than the one to Strauss? Both are bowled to left-handers from round the wicket and spinning out of the rough; if anything Warne's ball is fuller and wider and has to be spinning at virtually right angles (therefore more sharply) to clip the leg stump.
Mushtaq's one is off a ripe SSC pitch. No rough whatsoever as this was an ODI.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
While many similarities between Warne's and Mushtaq's balls, there are some differences :
- Warne's ball turns more acutely than Mushtaq's
- Warne's ball has Strauss not offering a stroke, Flower does offer a stroke but misses
- Warne's ball hits about middle of middle and leg stump (comprehensively castled), Mushtaq's clips top of leg stump
1. Because it is off the rough
2. Flower is ridiculously better plater of spin that Strauss
3. Ditto, which shows Strauss' was a bad judgement error, while Flower's was a bloody good delivery just missing pads and just clipping the stumps.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Having said that comparing Mushy to Warne is not even funny. Warne was a way better bowler.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was really referring to the Strauss one mate!!!

My personal take is that Warne has been gassed up as this great bowler.. when I personally would pick Murali, kumble and hell even saqalin (only in odi) over him.
You should join my "What the hell is he smoking" draft. You're obviously into some pretty mind altering stuff.

This ball didn't spin anywhere near as far as the Warne ball. It happened in a series that nobody gave a **** about and it was a worse error of judgment than Strauss'.

I rate Kumble as a spinner but frankly compared to Warne he was garbage. Outside of India you'd take Warne every time and twice on Tuesdays. He still has a better overall bowling average than Kumble if you take out every wicket against England (though why you'd do that is beyond me).

Aaron510

Having said that comparing Mushy to Warne is not even funny. Warne was a way better bowler.
I have not said anywhere that mushy is better than warne!!! Neither I am compering them. All I am saying that Warne is overrated and he is rated very highly by Aussies, English and white ppl.. and rated very unfairly..

when in reality, Murali was miles ahead of him.. better than him in every format.

some of the classic balls that they that r calling ball of the century.. many spinners bowled them in their best days.

they just don’t get mentioned anywhere because they want u to believe the almighty Shane is the greatest!!

Aaron510

You should join my "What the hell is he smoking" draft. You're obviously into some pretty mind altering stuff.

This ball didn't spin anywhere near as far as the Warne ball. It happened in a series that nobody gave a **** about and it was a worse error of judgment than Strauss'.

I rate Kumble as a spinner but frankly compared to Warne he was garbage. Outside of India you'd take Warne every time and twice on Tuesdays. He still has a better overall bowling average than Kumble if you take out every wicket against England (though why you'd do that is beyond me).
sir calm down. I can tell why u r passionate about this!!!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I have not said anywhere that mushy is better than warne!!! Neither I am compering them. All I am saying that Warne is overrated and he is rated very highly by Aussies, English and white ppl.. and rated very unfairly..

when in reality, Murali was miles ahead of him.. better than him in every format.

some of the classic balls that they that r calling ball of the century.. many spinners bowled them in their best days.

they just don’t get mentioned anywhere because they want u to believe the almighty Shane is the greatest!!
I do agree Warne is overrated, espcially in ODIs. However I think is is rated appropriately in tests.

And yes, I agree, some classic balls which are called "balls of the century" has been reproduced before or after by some bowlers at their peak.

Ones that cannot be reproduced are the ones off cracks and rough. We produce same type of leg breaks bowling to the edge of the pitch (which usually has a bit of a ridge of one or two centimeters) to crash in to lefties off, middle or legstumps, sometimes to hit the head. It required bit of skill and truck loads of luck.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think youre talking about the doosra he bowled to Dhoni in his 7fer at Delhi. Insane delivery which for some reason has never been posted on Youtube.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
All great deliveries are worthy of accolades. This isn't about which bowler is better and where ... it's about superb deliveries that were almost unplayable.

Last edited: