• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The balls of the century

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What an unspectacular number 2. It was just an off cutter that gripped and Laxman played a terrible shot to it.
Yep, just your standard 130kph delivery that ripped in more than most spinners can even turn it

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I love how Asif's cricinfo profile write-up starts:

Few Pakistani fast bowlers have been as wily and smart as Mohammad Asif, though fewer have been as prone to scandal and controversy off the field. Neither claim can easily be made given the rich competition.

OverratedSanity

I don't think it's even a cutter. It just jagged back in off the shaky seam a mile imo. The article mentions Asif saying swing and cut/break numerous times but it might just be a language issue.

TheJediBrah

I don't think it's even a cutter. It just jagged back in off the shaky seam a mile imo. The article mentions Asif saying swing and cut/break numerous times but it might just be a language issue.
The word "cut" can mean a few things. A lot of people refer to movement off the seam as "cut". That was always the case when I was growing up.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah his bowling was super reliant on the wobbly seam. Swing/seam/cut are very interchangeably used in Pakistani commentary.

trundler

It's just an odd comparison. The 2 balls don't have anything in common except for deviating sharply. One was a fluke because it hit a crack and the other wasn't. To say Asif's one went like an off break would be selling it massively short.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The word "cut" can mean a few things. A lot of people refer to movement off the seam as "cut". That was always the case when I was growing up.
Just bolwing with a wobbly seam won't do that anyway. There needs to be a little bit of 'sideways' on the ball so it actually deviates when it digs into the surface.

TheJediBrah

It's just an odd comparison. The 2 balls don't have anything in common except for deviating sharply. One was a fluke because it hit a crack and the other wasn't. To say Asif's one went like an off break would be selling it massively short.
Tbf the Asif one was largely a fluke as well. There's no way he planned for that ball to do exactly what it did, just landed it on the wobbly seam to see what would happen.