• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Maybe because he averaged 17 the only time he faced a full strength attack here? Boycott was marginally better. Both horrible blokes, obviously.
Boycott’s average in Australia was 45. If you exclude the tour while WSC was going on, his average there was 60.

AndrewB

As a vague tribute to John Reid, a "not related" XI:

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith*
Richards (IVA)
Steve Smith
Sid Barnes
John Reid
Tim Ambrose+
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Sydney Barnes
Bruce Reid

12th man: Hamish Marshall

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As a vague tribute to John Reid, a "not related" XI:

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith*
Richards (IVA)
Steve Smith
Sid Barnes
John Reid
Tim Ambrose+
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Sydney Barnes
Bruce Reid

12th man: Hamish Marshall
I'm sure there should be a few "not related" Khans you could put in there. Interestingly the other John Reid (NZ player of the 80s) is related to Bruce.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I keep seeing Barry Richards selected in ATG Test teams. Not his fault obviously, but he played only 4 tests with an impressive record of 508 runs at 72.57 with 2 hundreds

Well guess what, Sunil Gavaskar after only 4 Tests had 774 runs at 154.80 and 4 hundreds....so who was the better opener after such a small sample size?

Why are people convinced he was a proven Test star when he may have become a Hick or Mark Waugh at Test Level? It's like picking Sobers in an ATG T20 XI

Last edited:

h_hurricane

Vinod Kambli made a huge mistake not retiring after 4 tests. Was averaging almost twice as much as Barry Richards at that point:laugh:

Also averaged better than Richards in his first class career.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In terms of pure strokeplay you would be hard pressed to find someone better than ABdV but based on test matches, he cant displace Tendulkar or Sobers. I feel like picking somebody with barely a test career ahead of guys who achieved so much is a bit disrespectful. Gavaskar and Hutton were once in a generation cricketers and nobody has come close to bettering either between or since their careers. It's okay to pick Cowie for the NZATXI based on the fact that he got Bradman out in some FC match one time but when you can pick from 143 years of test cricket, why not go for blokes who did it for 20 years and proved their mettle against everywhere. For that matter, Bruce Mitchell deserves to open with Smith in the SAATXI on the back of being SA's rock for so long IMO.

bagapath

International Captain
In terms of pure strokeplay you would be hard pressed to find someone better than ABdV but based on test matches, he cant displace Tendulkar or Sobers. I feel like picking somebody with barely a test career ahead of guys who achieved so much is a bit disrespectful. Gavaskar and Hutton were once in a generation cricketers and nobody has come close to bettering either between or since their careers. It's okay to pick Cowie for the NZATXI based on the fact that he got Bradman out in some FC match one time but when you can pick from 143 years of test cricket, why not go for blokes who did it for 20 years and proved their mettle against everywhere. For that matter, Bruce Mitchell deserves to open with Smith in the SAATXI on the back of being SA's rock for so long IMO.
for a post 1995 XI (from the past 25 years, that is)

Lara, Tendulkar and ABDV should make up the middle order in terms of all round batsmanship.

Throw in Anwar, Hayden, Stokes, Gilchrist and you have a top 7 guaranteed to produce stroke filled innings in most conditions against most attacks. with Akram, Ambrose, Steyn and Warne to be the bowling attack matching the batters in terms of cricketing genius

TheJediBrah

Vinod Kambli made a huge mistake not retiring after 4 tests. Was averaging almost twice as much as Barry Richards at that point:laugh:

Also averaged better than Richards in his first class career.
Actually a perfect example if someone was trying to talk down B.Richards

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In Michael Bevan's first 4 tests he passed 70 three times(the same amount as Barry Richards)

Bevan was facing Wasim/Waqar

Barry was facing Mckenzie\Connelly

Bevan has a higher FC average than Barry

Burgey

As good a time as any to analyze this I think:

7:36 is vs Lillee I believe
Toughest shot to play in cricket. Bar none. Which is why you hardly ever see it.

He played and missed at the first ball he faced that day apparently, prompting Marsh to say "I thought this bloke could ****ing well bat." Watch the last ball of the day apparently after he hit Lillee back past him to the boundary to walk off on 325, Inverarity walked over to Marsh and said "I think he goes ok"

Last edited:

h_hurricane

In Michael Bevan's first 4 tests he passed 70 three times(the same amount as Barry Richards)

Bevan was facing Wasim/Waqar

Barry was facing Mckenzie\Connelly

Bevan has a higher FC average than Barry
And Bevan had played more than 50% of his matches away from home unlike Barry who played all those matches in his backyard.