• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft idea - bid for position

ataraxia

International Coach
I'll take Barry Richards, Hedley Verity, and Denis Compton.

My next pick won't be made for at least 10 hours in all likelihood.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ataraxia's team shaping up to be one of the best so far.

KingKallis > ataraxia > Pothas > JOJOXI up next.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
All I can do is sit and watch - cursing that I missed some real talent in my rush to complete an XI. Still, it's fun commenting.

ataraxia

International Coach
Dudley Nourse

1. L Hutton* / pt
2. BA Richards /
4. DCS Compton / pt
5. AD Nourse /
8. H Verity o
9. MD Marshall o
10. CEL Ambrose o
11. GD McGrath o

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Picks so far:
kingkallis: Don Bradman, Gary Sobers, Fred Trueman, Arthur Morris, Jim Laker
StephenZA: Jacques Kallis, Sachin Tendulkar, Joel Garner, Brian Lara, Allan Donald
Pothas: Imran Khan, Shane Warne, Jack Hobbs, Dennis Lillee, Wally Hammond, Steve Waugh
JOJOXI: Sydney Barnes, Dale Steyn, Steve Smith, Adam Gilchrist, Pat Cummins, Gordon Greenidge, Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid
trundler: Richard Hadlee, Sunil Gavaskar, Viv Richards, Waqar Younis, Bobby Simpson, Everton Weekes, Allan Border, Andy Flower, Clarrie Grimmett, Andy Roberts
ataraxia: Malcolm Marshall, Glenn McGrath, Curtly Ambrose, Len Hutton, Barry Richards, Hedley Verity, Denis Compton, Dudley Nourse, Neil Harvey
ankitj: Muttiah Muralitharan, Herbert Sutcliffe, Ricky Ponting, Graeme Pollock, Greg Chappell, Mike Procter, Shaun Pollock, Michael Holding, Bill O'Reilly
honestbharani: Wasim Akram, Kumar Sangakkara, AB De Villiers, Aubrey Faulkner, Shakib Al Hasan, Ken Barrington, Frank Worrell, Alan Davidson
Line and Length: Keith Miller, MS Dhoni, Ravi Ashwin, Richie Benaud, Ian Botham, Matthew Hayden, George Headley, Ray Lindwall, Graeme Smith, Clyde Walcott, Courtney Walsh

StephenZA
ankitj (2 picks)
StephenZA (2 picks)
honestbharani (3 picks)
Pothas
kingkallis (2 picks)
StephenZA
Pothas
StephenZA
kingkallis
Pothas
kingkallis (3 picks)
Pothas (2 picks)
JOJOXI (3 picks)
StephenZA
trundler
ataraxia (2 picks)

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Neil Harvey

1. L Hutton* / pt
2. BA Richards /
3. RN Harvey /
4. DCS Compton / pt
5. AD Nourse /
8. H Verity o
9. MD Marshall o
10. CEL Ambrose o
11. GD McGrath o

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That completes my XI which is probably the best I have put together in drafts.

Herbert Sutcliffe
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting (c)
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell
Les Ames (wk)
Mike Procter [2]
Shaun Pollock [3]
Michael Holding [1]
Bill O'Reilly [5]
Muttiah Muralitharan [4]

Batting is full of greats of the game with added x-factor of Sehwag who can take game away in a session or 2. Bats down to #8 and even Holding at #9 has 6 test fifties. Quite thrilled with O'Reilly Murali combo in the spin department which will make it a lethal attack on spinning wickets. Pace bowling is very capable and diverse in style. Only thing missing is a top tier pace bowler (Marshall, Hadlee, McGrath kind). Part time bowlers in Chappell and Sehwag can chip in although shouldn't be required. Ponting is captain (not sure if Chappell likes that).

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Very impressive ankitj. I too am quite happy with my line-up.

1. Graeme Smith (vc) 9,265 runs @ 48.3 - 27 centuries
2. Matthew Hayden 8,625 runs @ 50.7 - 30 centuries
3. George Headley 2,190 runs @ 60.8 - 10 centuries
4. Clyde Walcott 3,798 runs @ 56.7 - 15 centuries
5. M.S. Dhoni (w/k) 4,876 runs @ 38.1 - 6 centuries. 256 catches & 38 stumpings
6. Keith Miller 2,928 runs @ 37.0 - 7 centuries. 170 wickets @ 22.9
7. Ian Botham 5,200 runs @ 33.6 - 14 centuries. 383 wickets @ 28.4
8. Ravi Ashwin 2,389 runs @ 28.1 - 4 centuries. 365 wickets @ 25.4
9. Richie Benaud (capt) 2,201 runs @ 24.5 - 3 centuries. 248 wickets @ 27.0
10. Ray Lindwall 1,502 runs @ 21.1 - 2 centuries. 228 wickets @ 23.0
11. Courtney Walsh 519 wickets @ 24.4

My openers are 2 of the better more recent opening batsmen as their records indicate. Headley was regarded as "The Black Bradman" and fits seamlessly in alongside fellow West Indian, Walcott.
Dhoni has one of the more impressive 'keeper/batsman records and regularly batted at number 5 or 6 for his country.
Miller and Botham rank highly among the ATG all-rounders and I have the luxury of batting them lower than they would normally appear.
Ashwin, Benaud and Lindwall ensure there is no real tail.
The attack has the Lindwall/Miller opening pair that was so effective with the durable and reliable Walsh and the attacking Botham providing plenty of new ball options. The two spinners provide the offie/leggie combination.
When selecting Benaud I overlooked fellow leggie Clarrie Grimmett. In Ashes Tests, Benaud has a superior bowling average and his astute captaincy made him an easy choice.

Last edited: