• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft idea - bid for position

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
That completes my XI which is probably the best I have put together in drafts.

Herbert Sutcliffe
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting (c)
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell
Les Ames (wk)
Mike Procter [2]
Shaun Pollock [3]
Michael Holding [1]
Bill O'Reilly [5]
Muttiah Muralitharan [4]

Batting is full of greats of the game with added x-factor of Sehwag who can take game away in a session or 2. Bats down to #8 and even Holding at #9 has 6 test fifties. Quite thrilled with O'Reilly Murali combo in the spin department which will make it a lethal attack on spinning wickets. Pace bowling is very capable and diverse in style. Only thing missing is a top tier pace bowler (Marshall, Hadlee, McGrath kind). Part time bowlers in Chappell and Sehwag can chip in although shouldn't be required. Ponting is captain (not sure if Chappell likes that).
I wouldn't say you "lacked a top tier pace bowler". Holding wasn't called "Whispering Death" for nothing and Mike Procter was tough to handle. Pollock completes a solid trio.

I think Greg Chappell would be happy to serve under Ponting. Ian might have been another story.

Good luck with your side. It will take some beating.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Simon Katich
David Warner
Ken Barrington
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
AB De Villiers (wk)
Shakib Al Hasan
Aubrey Faulkner
Frank Worrell
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
Neil Adcock

Will post a write up by tomorrow. Tied up with work and can't give it the time it needs. Just chockful of options and almost everyone can bat and bowl. Very happy.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Should perhaps make it clear that those are Dhoni’s figures in ODIs.

Edit: that was supposed to be in reply to Line and Length’s post of his XI’s averages.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Stan McCabe, Charles Macartney, Denis Lindsay to be my final 3 picks.

CricZo XI

Arthur Morris /
Geoff Boycott /
Don Bradman / ©
Stan McCabe /
Charles Macartney / o
Garfield Sobers / o
Denis Lindsay + /
Harold Larwood o /
Jim Laker o
Fred Spofforth o
Fred Trueman o

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Remaining picks:

Pothas (2 picks)

JOJOXI (3 picks)
StephenZA
trundler
ataraxia (2 picks)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alastair Cook and James Anderson

All got a bit English at the end there.

Jack Hobbs
Alastair Cook
Wally Hammond
Virat Kohli
Javed Miandad
Steve Waugh
Alan Knott
Imran Khan
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
James Anderson

Warne will be delighted to see Waugh in the side, better give the captaincy to Imran.