• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Howsie

International Captain
No point playing the two quickest bowlers in domestic cricket if your going to give them mud pits to bowl on. Swap them out for the likes of Jake Gibson and Brett Randell, guys who can bat a little but don’t bowl any quicker then 130, ie Verma.

Flem274*

123/5
im really really really bored so i thought i'd do some best elevens during my cricket watching time for each team. players will be given to who you'd associate them with the most (so styris = nd) unless they're not required for their ideal team. heavy weighting given to international success.

auckland

tim mcintosh
matt horne
martin guptill
lou vincent
colin munro
colin de grandhomme
adam parore
kyle mills
andre adams
will somerville
lockie ferguson

northern districts

daniel flynn
dean brownlie
kane williamson
scott styris
hamish marshall
bj watling
corey anderson
daniel vettori
tim southee
daryl tuffey
trent boult

central districts

jamie how
peter ingram
mathew sinclair
ross taylor
jesse ryder
jacob oram
kruger van wyk
doug bracewell
adam milne
michael mason
ajaz patel

wellington

mathew bell
michael papps (canterbury don't need him lol)
devon conway
neal parlane
chris nevin
luke ronchi
grant elliott
james franklin (the bowling version)
jeetan patel
mark gillespie
iain o'brien

canterbury

tom latham
peter fulton
stephen fleming
nathan astle
craig mcmillan
chris cairns
chris harris
...cameron fletcher?
paul wiseman
shane bond
chris martin

otago

mark richardson
hamish rutherford
aaron redmond
brendon mccullum
neil broom
jimmy neesham
derek de boorder
mark craig
ian butler
neil wagner
shayne o'connor

wellington in particular was hard. easy bowling, but been a while between batsmen that didn't have ties to other provinces.

Howsie

International Captain
1. Daniel Flynn
2. Tim Seifert
3. Kane Williamson
4. Hamish Marshall
5. Scott Styris
6. BJ Watling
7. Corey Anderson
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Tim Southee
10. Ish Sodhi
11. Trent Boult

12. Daryl Tuffey

Sodhi is a weapon in first class cricket these days, up there with how good Vettori was when he played for ND. Factor in his international success (in 20/20’s) have to pick him.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Hope Nathan Smith's figures don't go unnoticed. He picked up 5 fer in 4 overs giving away only 14 runs. Is this kid in par with the talents of Ravindra, Phillips, Sears and the likes? Why doesn't this dude get as much hype as the other lads I mentioned? This kid is either scoring runs or taking wickets and in the news all the time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hope Nathan Smith's figures don't go unnoticed. He picked up 5 fer in 4 overs giving away only 14 runs. Is this kid in par with the talents of Ravindra, Phillips, Sears and the likes? Why doesn't this dude get as much hype as the other lads I mentioned? This kid is either scoring runs or taking wickets and in the news all the time.
ND is never particularly fussy when they decide it's time for one of their batting collapses, that's one of the problems. It's any port in a storm for them.

As for CW neglecting Smith, not really sure. There's Chubb who drops in here rarely, a poster who played quite a bit of cricket with Smith down in the South Island, he's a big fan. You've got the likes of Bahnz who'd look to what a domestic guy might be clocking on a gun before he'd allow himself some guarded optimism about that player's future (he's quite a pace floozy, but maybe also a wise floozy, seeing it's success in Australia or South Africa that'd give him the biggest kick to watch). Other regular posters would only get enthused if the bowler has height.

This thread was also a bit disappointed when Smith came back from that U19 TV game in Dhaka where he was getting a lot of outswing and nip off the pitch, we figured he'd surely get some of that nearly every game he played back in NZ, but he didn't. It took that Bay Oval greentop with KW and Watling playing (spring 2018) before we saw him bowling some very spicy wicket-taking deliveries to elite players again.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Smith is looking more like a candidate to, a few years from now, replace CDG in the test side (usurping Mitchell and Neesham), rather than a pure bowler picking up Southee's spot, imo.

Immenso

Because hes been mediocre to a bit disaapointing for last 18 months (with the ball). The Otago curse.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno, it's hard to get too excited about a guy who looks like a poor man's Matty McEwan. Yet to take a FC wicket this season. No pace. No height. And most importantly, no pace. And especially given how Otago have utterly failed to polish Duffy's talent over the years, I'm not super optimistic about how Smith will turn out.

Flem274*

123/5
i forgot young played for canterbury for a bit. thoughth e just played for auckland.

nathan smith looked soooooo good in under 19s. i remember watching him swing it both ways on a string around the early 130s as a kid, figured he'd add 5-10kph as he grew and was quite confidently declaring he would take the new ball for new zealand one day. came across in the southee/boult/wheeler/small age group talent tier to me.

oops.

Immenso

Duffy, Finnie, Smith, even Nick Beard.

Not a good track record down in Voltsland this decade of making their U19s prospects better.

We've questioned the coaching on this board, probably easy to do with late years Vaughan Johnson who appears to have had some distractions. But, still seems an issue.

Smith still has some hope. His batting is good and actually may be showing signs of improvement each year. But 5 balls skied to the outfield in T20 doesn't get my spidey senses tingling, hard to tell (from the video scorecard) without ball-by-ball context whether it's just 5 skied hits or good bowling.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
neil wagner don't care
I haven't seen Smith bowl for ages but if his stock ball is almost always over 130 like Wagner's then he has enough pace to succeed given strengths in other areas. Not that he's succeeded with the ball in the Plunket Shield yet, but assuming he does.

My impression was that it kind of wasn't though. He doesn't need to be a faaaast bowler but unless he bats like de Grandhomme he does probably need to be Wagner pace.