• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The problem in Italy is very deeply ingrained though. I can remember watching a TV interview with Lilian Thuram back in 99 or 2000 I think, where he made it clear that the reason he signed for Juventus rather than Lazio was because Lazio's fans are...basically Nazis.

They even had a representative from the Lazio ultras come on and try to mediate. "We have a black player in the youth team and we treat him ok".

Can also remember the same bloke saying "there is nothing wrong with having black players at the club, but the idea of the Italian people becoming mixed race scares me".

Wtf is wrong with people

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
With Greece there's the example of Giannis, who was denied citizenship as a child (despite being born in Athens) but then they rushed to make him one when they found out he was going to the NBA. Pretty grim, though I guess the idea of an immigrant being championed for his success when he otherwise would've been shunned isn't exclusive to Greece.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
With Greece there's the example of Giannis, who was denied citizenship as a child (despite being born in Athens) but then they rushed to make him one when they found out he was going to the NBA. Pretty grim, though I guess the idea of an immigrant being championed for his success when he otherwise would've been shunned isn't exclusive to Greece.
Yeah, the comments I mentioned above were primarily made in relation to him tbh.

A group of us were sitting around watching a basketball world cup game, and various comments were made including the word "jungle" and similar. Said in English as well, so obviously for my benefit, which made me feel even more uncomfortable.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, the comments I mentioned above were primarily made in relation to him tbh.

A group of us were sitting around watching a basketball world cup game, and various comments were made including the word "jungle" and similar. Said in English as well, so obviously for my benefit, which made me feel even more uncomfortable.
It's interesting actually, because the same people were a lot more reserved and vaguely diplomatic when it came to refugees and people from the subcontinent in Greece. They still made fairly questionable remarks, along the lines of "as you can see... quite a lot of... non-local people around here...." etc.

But no hesitation to go straight for the overtly offensive remarks when it came to black people.

I wasn't sure if it was a case of them genuinely disliking black people, or just not seeing why such comments/remarks are really horrible (I suspect the latter), but either way, pretty dire.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He looks quite good.
I remember you were the first person I heard talk about how basically all the best players in the world are guys who are fast, can dribble, shoot and create (which is spot on) and he's basically that. Still seems quite raw and not sure Emery has found a way to use him very well yet except for maybe the Liverpool game. But I think he has enough ability and is young enough that he'll be fine long term. Only worry is the expectations surrounding the fee, but so far the Arsenal fans I've seen have been relatively sane in terms of not expecting him to be Salah straight away.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember you were the first person I heard talk about how basically all the best players in the world are guys who are fast, can dribble, shoot and create (which is spot on) and he's basically that. Still seems quite raw and not sure Emery has found a way to use him very well yet except for maybe the Liverpool game. But I think he has enough ability and is young enough that he'll be fine long term. Only worry is the expectations surrounding the fee, but so far the Arsenal fans I've seen have been relatively sane in terms of not expecting him to be Salah straight away.
OTOH another of my long-term rants is about attacking players peaking much earlier than commonly thought. So at 24 I don't know if he'll necessarily improve, especially since Emery isn't really a coach who does that. But I think he's already good enough for a top-4 contender. Would take him at United for sure.

Arsenal's squad kind of forces the manager to choose between benching some of their best players and being a mess structurally. Even fitting in 2 of Auba, Lacazette, Ozil and Pepe takes some tricky tactical reshuffling. I don't think 3 can really be done, though doing it with a Toreira+Guendouzi+Ceballos midfield is definitely worth a try. Anyway, this is a big problem in itself but it's also not ideal for Pepe's development.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Agree generally but Pepe only really made his proper breakthrough a couple of years ago. He might be at his peak already but his development might be occurring a bit later than mosts.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah could be. I don't really have an opinion on his positional sense and decision-making yet, which are usually the shortest route to a big improvement. But again you'd rather it wasn't Emery.

andmark

International Captain
Is Sterling at 14/1 for Sports Personality of the Year good odds? Ben Stokes leads the way at 1/6, but I can't see the voting public being that definitive in favour of Stokes.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Is Sterling at 14/1 for Sports Personality of the Year good odds? Ben Stokes leads the way at 1/6, but I can't see the voting public being that definitive in favour of Stokes.
surely the Mail/Sun-reading part of the population will keep him out of winning any personality based award

Niall

International Coach
I have him backed a few times over last few months. I reckon if it goes to a public vote he'd have a great chance, however would not be confident he will be in the final 5 list who they vote on.

Also got the Welsh rugby captain and Archer backed.

I expect to lose all bets. :happy:

Niall

International Coach
But Stokes at 1/6 is mad, its not as if anyone at Xmas will give a **** about the cricket. I remember Joshua was very short with the bookies a few years ago and did not even get in the top 3!!

Their is value out their somewhere.