• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great 1980s all rounders

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really. Tear down Imran's record where it's bad. I don't mind at all. But trying to bring him down using ball tampering, home umpiring etc is just, well, pathetic.
Ok, it's pathetic that I pointed out something that he did.

And please note, that wasn't the emphasis of my posts.

Logan

U19 Captain
The funny thing about all this ATG talk this thread has turned into, is that none of the fab 4 are likely to make a World ATG XI.
1. As an all rounder, Imran Khan is no less than Gary Sobers. Also, Imran Khan is a fantastic captain.

2. My top three fast bowling picks would be Marshall, Steyn and McGrath. Hadlee is as good as all of them and with his batting skills, he would be picked ahead of one of them.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasim's the third best bat out of the established top 10-15 quicks of all time, does he get a shout?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim's the third best bat out of the established top 10-15 quicks of all time, does he get a shout?
nah it gets very iffy when you start picking ATG players based on their secondary skills. You want the very best bowlers, and the tiny bit extra you get in someone like McGrath or Marshall could make a huge difference in the context of a match than the extra 10-15 runs you might get from your no. 10 who might not even bat in a meaningful scenario at all.

This is why I think McGrath would always be one of the first picked, he's the type of bowler that would target the best batsmen and would uncannily get a Lara or Tendulkar out early when a Wasim might not, which could save your team 100s of runs

Logan

U19 Captain
Fourth best bat.

Imran. Pollock. Hadlee. These four are better batsmen than Akram.

Akram isn’t replacing my fast bowling trio of Marshall, Steyn and McGrath in my ATG team.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Can we call those posters who post only in ATG threads and never show up in tour threads when their team is getting smashed as fair-weather fans ?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fourth best bat.

Imran. Pollock. Hadlee. These four are better batsmen than Akram.

Akram isn’t replacing my fast bowling trio of Marshall, Steyn and McGrath in my ATG team.
Ah. Actually forgot Pollock. And Davidson too

Guess my point is moot now

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On that point how do Kallis and Pollock compare with the 1980s all-rounders? This will be my combined ranking of those 6:

Imran > Hadlee > Kallis > Botham > Pollock > Kapil

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
On that point how do Kallis and Pollock compare with the 1980s all-rounders? This will be my combined ranking of those 6:

Wouldn't have an issue with Pollock over Kapil as he is statistically quite a lot better. But isn't he better than Botham too by the same metric ?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant

Tests , as players

Hadlee > Imran > Kapil > Botham > Kallis > Pollock

ODis
Kapil > Hadlee > Pollock > Imran > Kallis > Botham

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
The funny thing about all this ATG talk this thread has turned into, is that none of the fab 4 are likely to make a World ATG XI.

There are clearly 3 better ATG fast bowlers and 6 better ATG batsmen, of which Sobers is one to serve as the allrounder.

They will all make their countries ATG teams though, as will Miller for Aus.
3 definite better bowlers than Hadlee ? Only Barnes.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Tear down Imran's record where it's bad. I don't mind at all. But trying to bring him down using ball tampering, home umpiring etc is just, well, pathetic.
Hi Smali.

If Imran's figures were improved by biased umpiring, and/or by ball tampering, why isn't it legitimate to point that out? Don't these represent holes in a player's record? It's not as though these allegations are plucked from thin air.

I say this as a Sussex fan for whom Imran was and remains a bit of a hero.

z

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
And Kapil Dev of course

better bowler, better batsman, better moustache, better human, better entity
A lot of us (definitely me) grew up having Kapil as a hero and role model. It is very sad to see him being a subject of ridicule all due to PFK.