• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great 1980s all rounders

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never really get this reference. What are players supposed to do, fail when they play minnows?

Averages are exactly that, so failing in a particular country, or against a particular team is pretty irrelevant to me, but seems an easy way for people to discredit players who dare to be better than their favourite player (not related to referenced post).
I don't normally make this point but with Weekes it's particularly noticeable

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They used to send out second stringers to the WI back in Headley's day too, for the most part. Though I don't think anyone realistically doubts George's genius.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not like England were particularly strong during Lara's era
They weren't all that shabby. After all, they were still doing some good things in the early-mid 90's. CWC semi-finalists in '92, they also had drawn series' with South Africa in 1994 & the Windies in 1995. Were decent in the 97 Ashes series as well. Had a drop off after that but things picked up again for them in the early-mid 2000s.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
They used to send out second stringers to the WI back in Headley's day too, for the most part. Though I don't think anyone realistically doubts George's genius.
True, but he still piled on the runs against quality bowlers such as Voce, Rhodes & Farnes, plus a few other blokes who were far from the worst bowlers going round.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Averages against Aus/Eng

Walcott: 49.04
Worrell: 45.26
Weekes: 43.12

Headley: 62.51
Lara: 56.84
Richards: 52.93
Sobers: 47.13
Wow never knew before that Sobers only averaged 43 vs Australia. Seems crazy.. Still had some impressive performances though.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hot take: players from those days weren't actually that good and they have high averages because there were a lot of minnows around

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They weren't all that shabby. After all, they were still doing some good things in the early-mid 90's. CWC semi-finalists in '92, they also had drawn series' with South Africa in 1994 & the Windies in 1995. Were decent in the 97 Ashes series as well. Had a drop off after that but things picked up again for them in the early-mid 2000s.
Mate you did your own point a disservice. They were '92 WC finalists!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hot take: players from those days weren't actually that good and they have high averages because there were a lot of minnows around
Hot take: Imagine if guys like Sobers had played against Afghanastan, Ireland, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

But yeh, he clearly feasted on minnows 8-)

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
There isn't a cricketer who has not deviated from his overall average against individual countries. Tendulkar averages 40 something against SA. Same for Viv against Aus and Pak. Lara averages 30 odd against a few countries. By Bradman standard, his average of less than 90 against Eng is 'below par'.

Garry Sobers is very much the supreme cricketer regardless of his average against one or 2 countries, Aus or NZ. Always will be.

a massive zebra

International Captain
True, but he still piled on the runs against quality bowlers such as Voce, Rhodes & Farnes, plus a few other blokes who were far from the worst bowlers going round.
Rhodes was undoutedly a legendary bowler but I think he was about 50 when Headley faced him, and while still tirelessly accurate he had lost a lot of his sting by then.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
After the big four of Headley, Sobers, Viv and Lara, I assume they make up 5th-7th in most people's minds. With Greenidge, Kanhai and Chanderpaul on their heels

Funnily enough Weekes record makes him seem a bit of a minnow basher though
Basically this. Walcott had some great innings at home vs Lindwall and Miller but most of the pitches in the Caribbean in that era were not the liveliest. Weeks was better than his record, just getting hurt at the most inopportune moments. So the comment is fair. Worrell though was arguably the best of the 3 and pure class. He did miss out on the minnow tours which didn't help his average.

Last edited: