• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Deej92

Cricket Spectator
A good session for England. Archer, Broad and Woakes all bowled beautifully and really put the pressure on the Aussies who struggled to score runs.

Get Smith out and we really are in control. Depends though whether rain will allow for a result either way.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Oz have done well to be in such an overall strong series position considering how much their openers are struggling.

Bancroft looks technically awful atm and the best he can do for the side is stonewall and see off the new ball.

Hard to define what's got Warner out of sorts; reckon his standing outside the crease is making the rest of his technique look cramped and rushed. The assuredness and timing that's always been a part of his game just isn't there so far.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think those people are far less of a problem than those who who pay six figures to get into uni when their marks mean they shouldn’t be there
I'm not saying they're a problem. They're only a problem to themselves, wasting their own money to spend 3-5 years earning a degree that will never get them anywhere. (Unless they never pay off their dept, which probably happens all the time with the arts types, in which case I guess the tax payer foots the bill?)

I just have no sympathy when kids these days complain about not getting jobs in their field of study when they went into a course that has far too many places, as a bottom-rung achiever

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Anyone else find it utterly astonishing TJB has a university degree? I mean, I know you can be fee paying and get in these days when you’re quite severely challenged, but you still have to pass don’t you, or has that gone out the window since the early 90s as well?
Not really as I've got 3, plus Golden Key membership like Bill Clinton :)

JBMAC

State Captain
Observations from an old fella

1. WARNER-- "Beware the sleeping Giant'

2. ARCHER-- Looks like he could be around for a while.Obviously enjoys his game and puts 100% into it. A real West Indian of the old school.

3. BAIRSTOW--Why the hell is he stumper? Butler is definitely tidier and sharper from what I saw in WC.

4. BROAD & WOAKES will become perfect foils for Archer.

5. ROOT totally lacks imagination as a skipper

6. SMITH; England appear to have worked out how to nullify him......just dismiss the other 9 batsmen.

JBMAC

State Captain
Observations from an old fella

1. WARNER-- "Beware the sleeping Giant'

2. ARCHER-- Looks like he could be around for a while.Obviously enjoys his game and puts 100% into it. A real West Indian of the old school.

3. BAIRSTOW--Why the hell is he stumper? Butler is definitely tidier and sharper from what I saw in WC.

4. BROAD & WOAKES will become perfect foils for Archer.

5. ROOT totally lacks imagination as a skipper

6. SMITH; England appear to have worked out how to nullify him......just dismiss the other 9 batsmen.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh yeah, Adelaide 2013. Probably the best spell I've ever laid my eyes on, either that or the one at Centurion.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Quality Smith segment with Nasser Hussain on Sky there. Hopefully they put it on youtube so the Aussies on here can see it.

the big bambino

International Captain
I've been reading the posts about atmospherics and movement and think there is a correlation between movement and cloud cover even though no one can explain why. Darker and cloudy tends to favour the bowling side and it occurred this session as well. I think England exploited a number of factors without anyone being outstanding. Archer got seam movement and found Bancroft's inside edge, ribs, thigh and eventually pad. Woakes' did get the ball to swing a few times. Once getting a full length ball to come back on Usman that almost took his stumps as he let it go. That ball might have played a part in his eventual dismissal as he snicked a ball of a similar length. I think the variability of bounce has been good for England too. The ball that took Usman's wicket seemed to have a spring to it while other balls have crawled along the ground. Apart from that Broad's angles have been enough to get him wickets. So a little bit of swing, seam, variability of bounce and angles from around the wicket have put England in front.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I've been reading the posts about atmospherics and movement and think there is a correlation between movement and cloud cover even though no one can explain why.

Darker and cloudy tends to favour the bowling side and it occurred this session as well. I think England exploited a number of factors without anyone being outstanding. Archer got seam movement and found Bancroft's inside edge, ribs, thigh and eventually pad. Woakes' did get the ball to swing a few times.

Once getting a full length ball to come back on Usman that almost took his stumps as he let it go. That ball might have played a part in his eventual dismissal as he snicked a ball of a similar length.

I think the variability of bounce has been good for England too. The ball that took Usman's wicket seemed to have a spring to it while other balls have crawled along the ground. Apart from that Broad's angles have been enough to get him wickets. So a little bit of swing, seam, variability of bounce and angles from around the wicket have put England in front.
Spaces added for readability :)