• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely true. That’s why in the days before the umpire kept the ball I used to take it, squeeze the seam together and whack it in the pie oven to dry. Was a ****ing brick when it came out and sealed everywhere
Same old Aussies, always cheating. :ph34r:

morgieb

I feel like an idiot when I look at all of you with crazy good qualifications and the like.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People have actually done enough studies on swing that we have a fairly good idea how it happens in both directions, the mechanisms and what the trajectories are like, but the minutae will likely never be studied.
I am sure that there is some scientist working on F1 flow dynamics that has a program somewhere... but yeah he does not give a ****.
More pointedly, there's lots of cash for knowing aerodynamics in F1, not so much in cricket.

Scientist aren't human... of course we have no ego or politics.
Lol, if only people knew what conversations raged up and down the science faculties.

Spark

Global Moderator
People have actually done enough studies on swing that we have a fairly good idea how it happens in both directions, the mechanisms and what the trajectories are like, but the minutae will likely never be studied.

More pointedly, there's lots of cash for knowing aerodynamics in F1, not so much in cricket.

Lol, if only people knew what conversations raged up and down the science faculties.
The incredibly vitriolic and personal hatreds that stem due to from technical disagreements as to the nature of very particular, isolated and hard-to-study phenomena are my favourite

Gob

International Coach
Losing only 3 wickets in such conditions is ok. Scoring like 40 runs is not ok

Guess they only lost 3 wickets is due to not scoring much i guess...

morgieb

And crucially with F1 I feel like it would be a death trap for the drivers if the engineers didn't know aerodynamics. Assessing how a ball swings would be markedly lower on scientific priorities.

Burgey

Anyone else find it utterly astonishing TJB has a university degree? I mean, I know you can be fee paying and get in these days when you’re quite severely challenged, but you still have to pass don’t you, or has that gone out the window since the early 90s as well?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like an idiot when I look at all of you with crazy good qualifications and the like.
Lol I wish I had good qualifications. Currently I'm trying not to flush my honours thesis down the toilet, my ability to research and write seems to have just completely deserted me.

morgieb

Anyone else find it utterly astonishing TJB has a university degree? I mean, I know you can be fee paying and get in these days when you’re quite severely challenged, but you still have to pass don’t you, or has that gone out the window since the early 90s as well?
I mean I've put in effectively zero effort at uni in my time there and I've still been able to pass all my subjects thus far, it's not that difficult.

TheJediBrah

2 actually.

TheJediBrah

Burgey makes a very valid point about university these days though. Way more positions than jobs. "Everyone has the right to a tertiary education" is bull****, because you just know the same people who push for that kind of thinking are the same ones who will complain when their political studies major doesn't immediately land them a 6 figure job in their area of study.

Of course universities don't care because these idiots will keep paying for their useless degrees by the boatfull

Burgey

The incredibly vitriolic and personal hatreds that stem due to from technical disagreements as to the nature of very particular, isolated and hard-to-study phenomena are my favourite
Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything has some great tales about scientific fields in various disciplines

Kim Hughes on now taking about the 1980 centenary test. Saying he stayed at the Waldorf. Not a bad pub. Great location on the Aldwych but as always with London hotels, the rooms are shoeboxes.

Best room I’ve stayed in over there was a Corner Suite at the Russell Hotel in May 2010 which was massive. Don’t know if anyone else has stayed there, but would recommend

Flem274*

123/5
fortunately you don't need to be smart to have a great life or get a great job.

unfortunately, it does help. fortunately for the rest of us there's punishing chat and knee pads to fall back on.

Burgey

Burgey makes a very valid point about university these days though. Way more positions than jobs. "Everyone has the right to a tertiary education" is bull****, because you just know the same people who push for that kind of thinking are the same ones who will complain when their political studies major doesn't immediately land them a 6 figure job in their area of study.

Of course universities don't care because these idiots will keep paying for their useless degrees by the boatfull
I think those people are far less of a problem than those who who pay six figures to get into uni when their marks mean they shouldn’t be there

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My postman has a degree in Meteorology. It's peeing down today and he's soaked, so it didn't help him much in his career or life itself.

trundler

Best you can do after degrees like that is teach to another generation of gullible ****s. Or get an unrelated job.