• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think this is a different magnitude of defeat to Lewis being tagged by McCall and Rahman or Klitschko jr by Sanders.

Those were all pretty much one punch stoppages (the fabled "puncher's chance"), Ruiz thoroughly dismantled Joshua. AJ might have taken the win for granted, but that's unforgivable if so.

Hate to say it and am aware of the sound of my knee jerking, but Joshua looks a bit of a hype job now.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You kind of hope AJ ends up with a virus in the next few days to explain why he was so flat but in all honesty he hadn't beaten much and avoided Wilder and Fury. As Brumby says is he just a hype job?

Anyway, Ruiz gives hope for all fat bastards everywhere. Time for a beer and a curry.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
At face value it was quite a cowardly end by Joshua just standing there waiting for someone to call it off. But I remember Ferdie Pachecho accusing Gerald McClellan of quitting when he went down on one knee to be counted out against Nigel Benn, and he regretted his words after.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
At face value it was quite a cowardly end by Joshua just standing there waiting for someone to call it off. But I remember Ferdie Pachecho accusing Gerald McClellan of quitting when he went down on one knee to be counted out against Nigel Benn, and he regretted his words after.
He tried his old trick of spitting out his mouthguard deliberately (he's done this on at least 2 seperate occasions) and then turned around like he didn't want to fight. And he didn't want to fight. It was a good stoppage.

I don't know if I'd call it cowardly. He'd been down 4 times and was getting hit at will. Could've been hurt really badly had he carried on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think this is a different magnitude of defeat to Lewis being tagged by McCall and Rahman or Klitschko jr by Sanders.

Those were all pretty much one punch stoppages (the fabled "puncher's chance"), Ruiz thoroughly dismantled Joshua. AJ might have taken the win for granted, but that's unforgivable if so.

Hate to say it and am aware of the sound of my knee jerking, but Joshua looks a bit of a hype job now.
You kind of hope AJ ends up with a virus in the next few days to explain why he was so flat but in all honesty he hadn't beaten much and avoided Wilder and Fury. As Brumby says is he just a hype job?

Anyway, Ruiz gives hope for all fat bastards everywhere. Time for a beer and a curry.
It depends. If people think he was head-and-shoulders the best heavyweight in the world? Then yeah, he was a hype job. The reality is he's one of many pretty good heavyweights in what is finally a competitive division.

With that said I do think the bubble has burst for him now. People won't be fighting scared against him now and, win or lose - they know you need to put him under pressure.

I think it's going to make for some great fights.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
lol yeah schwartz is lovely cherry pick. Totally manufactured record.

The thing about Fury is that he's doing the old Mayweather trick. "I'll just fight the best guys" except when you don't. He's a very good boxer but as we saw in the Joshua-Ruiz-Parker love triangle, styles make fights. Beating/drawing with Wilder and beating Klitschko obviously makes for a great record but you still have to fight the other guys.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Robert Byrd is a ****ing farce. Got to feel for Glowacki,. An elbow and knock out after the bell rang. :unsure:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Robert Byrd is a ****ing farce. Got to feel for Glowacki,. An elbow and knock out after the bell rang. :unsure:
I mean it should have been a no contest but it's pretty hard to feel sorry for Glowacki after multiple deliberate punches to the back of the head - which is what Briedis was retaliating too. Glowacki is a bloody dirty fighter IMO.

King Pietersen

International Captain
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0TaLkOlsvy/?igshid=2sseknl8mj92

This is bloody tough to watch. McGirt trying to do the best for his fighter and save his life, but wasn't enough. RIP Maxim.

Also, Dillian Whyte testing positive after everything Hearn has said about the WBC testing policy and other fighters testing positive is pretty funny.

"Something is going to happen, someone is going to die, someone is going to get hurt for life, someone is going to get paralysed by a drugs cheat, what happens then? Is that murder?

The WBC testing, they’re doing a great job, but they can’t be tested all the time.

I’ve got guys who have signed with me and signed up to WBC testing, they’ve never been tested.

There are fighters out here who are never getting tested until fight night. It just opens the door, there’s no fear of getting caught."

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We'll have to wait for the full story with Whyte before making judgement. But out of the current crop of heavyweight contenders there isn't one that would come as a surprise if they were taking drugs.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Another tragic death after a bout in Argentina. Hugo Santillan RIP. I’m not going to claim to have heard of him previously, but aged only 23, gone way too soon.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I can't understand this. He tested positive before the fight and BBBC were notified as well as Hearn and the Whyte himself, but a) they went ahead with the fight anyway (WTF) and b) they never notified Rivas.

That is insane.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We'll have to wait for the full story with Whyte before making judgement. But out of the current crop of heavyweight contenders there isn't one that would come as a surprise if they were taking drugs.
I don't understand this.

Yes, drug cheats are rife in the sport, but surely when we actually have a confirmed positive test, that is the time to make judgement.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I can't understand this. He tested positive before the fight and BBBC were notified as well as Hearn and the Whyte himself, but a) they went ahead with the fight anyway (WTF) and b) they never notified Rivas.

That is insane.
It's typical protocol for the Olympics. The same thing happened with that Belarussian tank (Ostapchuk her name?) that doped her way to a victory over Valerie Adams. Failed her A sample before the final, and only had her medal stripped after she failed her B sample.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand this.

Yes, drug cheats are rife in the sport, but surely when we actually have a confirmed positive test, that is the time to make judgement.
Not entirely. The substances can be found in over the counter supplements and taken innocently, albeit with a degree of stupidity involved. He’s not necessarily deliberately taken a performance enhancing drug.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not been a great week for the sport, has it? I'm sure there's no connection between the two recent fatalities, but it's a bad look from a "duty of care" standpoint.

Whyte has previous for doping though, doesn't he? Went down the well trodden "I didn't know what I was taking, guv" route then so it'll be interesting to see what the official line is this time.