• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And it gives a golden opportunity to bring down a player or a nation you hate if the player or nation has performed poorly in this 0.275% sample size.
Unfortunately for you, the team you so clearly hate have the best record in them. Kind of makes you look stupid that doesn't it?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgey your stamina for this sort of thing is inspiring

Nobody except the sunilz and hurricanes respond but you keep soldiering on. Lots of parallels to be drawn between this and Sachin post 2011.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Best ODI XI of 1970s

Glenn Turner
Dennis Amiss
Ian Chappell
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Clive Lloyd
Ian Botham
Deryck Murray
Bob Willis
Chris Old
Joel Garner

Last edited:

Burgey

Collis King worth an outside mention for an all rounder gig there imo. Gus Gilmour too. Wouldn't surprise me if both had as good a record as Botham in that period (though I cbf looking it up).

Burgey

Burgey your stamina for this sort of thing is inspiring

Nobody except the sunilz and hurricanes respond but you keep soldiering on. Lots of parallels to be drawn between this and Sachin post 2011.
The difference, of course, being that I have maintained my standards of excellence, whereas Tendulkar faded away and selfishly went on despite no longer being up to the task.

h_hurricane

ODI XI of 1980s

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Javed Miandad
Dean Jones
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Jeff Dujon
Richard Hadlee
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

h_hurricane

Collis King worth an outside mention for an all rounder gig there imo. Gus Gilmour too. Wouldn't surprise me if both had as good a record as Botham in that period (though I cbf looking it up).
King - Average of 23 with the bat ( had a great strike rate of 104). Pretty ordinary with the ball though, avg of 48.
Gilmour played 5 ODIs only, has an awesome bowling avg of 10 ! Could replace Old.

TheJediBrah

Gary Gilmour has far superior statistics to Botham (and pretty much any other all-rounder in history) but he only played 5 games.

I'm not sure how many ODIs were actually played during the '70s but I still feel like 5 games is cutting it a bit thin. Definitely wouldn't argue against picking him though, he had a special few games.

Don't know much about Collis King but his stats are garbage

trundler

Do ODIs from the 70s really count? You're just picking the recognized test greats and a couple of blokes who had a few good games. Wasn't the game far too different too? From the 80s onwards, ODIs became a thing in their own right.

h_hurricane

ODI XI of 1990s

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya
Brian Lara
Aravinda Desilva
Mohammed Azharuddin
Michael Bevan
Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Allan Donald

h_hurricane

Do ODIs from the 70s really count? You're just picking the recognized test greats and a couple of blokes who had a few good games. Wasn't the game far too different too? From the 80s onwards, ODIs became a thing in their own right.
Yeah, but there were ODIs played from 1971. A couple of great world cups. Richards, Garner, Lloyd, Chappell brothers etc were greats suited for modern ODIs as well. I think we have enough to sneak in a team, not much quality outside 13-15 players though.

trundler

I thought about him, and Jayasuriya only averaged 28 in the period with the bat. But had to pick him ahead of Waugh and Anwar, else bowling would have been thin.
Klusener in for Azhar. Bump Gilly and Bevan up a spot each. Waugh in for Jayasuriya.

trundler

Yeah, but there were ODIs played from 1971. A couple of great world cups. Richards, Garner, Lloyd, Chappell brothers etc were greats suited for modern ODIs as well. I think we have enough to sneak in a team, not much quality outside 13-15 players though.
Lloyd's hundred in 75' must've been brutal. Looks like it from the footage I've found. Ahead of his time surely. Richards and Garner played on into the 80s so not counting them. I do think Chappell would've been an awesome ODI bat as well as a handy troll trundler. Shout out to Coin Croft and Glen Turner also.