• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the 90s it was said that the first two batsmen picked in an ATXI were Viv Richards and Michael Bevan.

It's fair to say that the game had changed a bit since then.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv, Kohli, Sachin, Murali and Akram are locks imo. The rest depend on conditions and preferences.

stephen

Viv, Kohli, Sachin, Murali and Akram are locks imo. The rest depend on conditions and preferences.
Garner should be ahead of Akram but both are no brainers really. The fast bowling picks itself - Akram, Garner, McGrath. The spin bowler is a choice - probably based on conditions - between Murali, Saqlain and Warne.

Keeper is a choice between Gilchrist, Dhoni or perhaps Buttler or De Kock, depending on how much you value modern stats (which I don't value highly at all) and what role you need the keeper to fill in your batting lineup.

Given Viv can take the role of 6th bowler, you need 5 to 10 overs out of one of your other batsmen.

I'd argue that Sachin, Viv, Kohli and de Villiers pick themselves at 1, 3, 4 and 5 and they occupy 4/7 batting spots.

So that leaves 2, 6 and 7 as the remaining spots to fill. Who goes in those spots needs to cover the roles of keeper and 5th bowler and probably finisher.

Some players in the mix:
Keeper: Gilchrist, Dhoni
All rounder/5th bowler: Klusener, Symonds, Kapil, Watson, M Waugh, Jayasuriya
Finisher: Dhoni, Bevan, Hussey
Opener: Gilchrist, Watson, M Waugh, Jayasuriya
Middle order: Dhoni, Klusener, Symonds, Kapil, Bevan, Hussey

It's harsh on players like Ponting who is an ATG at the format and is in the top 3 number 3s of all time but isn't quite good enough to keep out Kohli or Viv.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I wanted to quote this post because the link will always show that Murali averages 75 per wicket in Australia. And that will always make me smile if I'm having a bad day.
What this stat also tells us is that Chandana, Bevan, Shastri and Katich are better than Warne is his own den.

vcs

And de Villiers imo
If you make him keep, it'd be one hell of a side.

I remember him opening early on in his career, maybe we could push both Gilchrist/Dhoni out and go:

De Villiers
Tendulkar
Kohli
Richards
Symonds
Bevan
Klusener
Akram
Murali
Garner
McGrath

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni is nowhere near a lock, particularly outside the subcontinent.
You keep saying such things without actually checking facts. With Exception of South Africa, Dhoni has very good record everywhere else. We are talking about his ODI record remember, not test.

I also remember you saying Saqlain won't be as effective in unhelpful surfaces which is not borne out by facts.

Last edited:

stephen

You keep saying such things without actually checking facts. With Exception of South Africa, Dhoni has very good record everywhere else. We are talking about his ODI record remember, not test.

I also remember you saying Saqlain won't be as effective in unhelpful surfaces which is not borne out by facts.
Good, yes. Great enough to walk into an ATG team without discussion or consideration of the other alternatives, no.

Dhoni inside Asia was a beast. In England, South Africa and Australia though there are better options for his role.

His world cup record is ordinary, with only one innings of note in three world cups (his 91* in the 2011 final). And he hid down the order in the 2015 final when he should have batted 4 to give his team the best chance possible.

Dhoni was great, particularly in Asia and New Zealand. But being great in half the world's doesn't get you into world all time sides.

OverratedSanity

Good, yes. Great enough to walk into an ATG team without discussion or consideration of the other alternatives, no.

Dhoni inside Asia was a beast. In England, South Africa and Australia though there are better options for his role.

His world cup record is ordinary, with only one innings of note in three world cups (his 91* in the 2011 final). And he hid down the order in the 2015 final when he should have batted 4 to give his team the best chance possible.

Dhoni was great, particularly in Asia and New Zealand. But being great in half the world's doesn't get you into world all time sides.
Dhoni has always done decently in Australia hasnt he? He wasn't a great batsman outside the subcontinent in test cricket but people often say the same for his ODI batting which has always struck me as a bit odd, he's done well overseas in the format.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a comparison of MoS awards won by Dhoni and his only plausible rival, Gilchrist:

MS Dhoni
AwardMatRunsHSBat Av100
player of the series7346183*115.331
Sri Lanka in India ODI Series, 2005/06
player of the series212791*1270
India in Bangladesh ODI Series, 2007
player of the series51937638.60
India in Sri Lanka ODI Series, 2008
player of the series418295910
India in West Indies ODI Series, 2009
player of the series523678*78.660
NatWest Series [India in England], 2011
player of the series521287*-0
England in India ODI Series, 2011/12
player of the series319387*1930
India in Australia ODI Series, 2018/19
Adam Gilchrist
AwardMatRunsHSBat Av100
player of the series52317746.20
Aiwa Cup (Australia, India, Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka), 1999
player of the series849817262.251
VB Series (Australia, India, Zimbabwe in Australia), 2003/04
player of the series3180103601

This will be a good time to admit you were wrong.

stephen

Murali averaging 75 in Australia would mean he'd need to take 19 more wickets without conceding a run to bring his average down under 30. At his rate of wickets per match that would take him 8 tests to achieve. But that's only without him conceding a run.

If, instead, Murali took wickets at his career average and wpm for 8 tests (giving him 13 tests in Australia), his average would be 33 in Australia. However, there is nothing to suggest he would do this and 8 tests in Australia is 3-4 tours for Sri Lanka. The only foreign spinner to play more than that many tests here was a part time leggy by the name of Sachin Tendulkar. The best full timers were Kumble and Vettori who played 10 and 12 respectively.