• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yeah India probably could have won that with 5/6 overs to spare.
And we're not full strength themselves either. Bumrah would have enjoyed bowling against that Aussie xi

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
On the evidence of this series, not in ODIs. Half-strength Aus played about as poorly as they could and still challenged India for the most part.
Naah. Bumrah who is the no 1 ODI bowler in the world was not in the team. Also due to Pandya ban, entire team configuration changes and Kuldeep(ranked 3)/Chahal(ranked 6) could not both play.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think in both matches India actually won a lot more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. I don't think Australia were really in the game or favourites at any point in the 3rd ODI and similarly in the last match after 15-20 overs in the chase India always looked like winning.
I think the third ODI was definitely less close than it seemed, but I don't really think it was true of the second ODI. Australia were a wicket away from breaking it a couple of times, and 298 is a decent score in Adelaide.

You're never going to set India 230 and win when they're only 3 down with 15 overs to go though, no matter how difficult they've found scoring at times through the middle. You need to blow teams away when you set them that kind of score and Australia never looked like doing that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
australia was absolutely in the game when kohli was dismissed. another quick wicket there and things get very interesting
If they took their catches (I know, big If) India would have been 4/70 odd with a big required run rate and all their best players in the shed.

It's definitely right that India won more comfortably than a last-over result suggests, but that's almost entirely due to Australia's incompetence in the field than any doing of their own. I'd like to think that Aus's big issues on display here (catching, run outs, running between the wickets, general laziness and lack of intensity) could be solved pretty quickly with a few personnel changes and some good preparation.

You need to blow teams away when you set them that kind of score and Australia never looked like doing that.
Tbf I think the bowlers definitely looked capable of it, and at the risk of beating a dead horse, would have if they were backed up in the field

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Went to the MCG after work for the 2nd innings, was an enjoyable battle with a great atmosphere.

Thought Oz's tactics were pretty good; if you're going to have Siddle in the side you might as well give him the new ball and he did a decent job (was terrible after that) and trying Stanlake pitching short constantly made sense as first change with more fielders out. Finch kept extra fielders in (especially Dhoni) which was the right move.

But Oz's fielding killed any chance they had and this just backs up what I said after the 2nd ODI; this is the most underwhelming Oz ODI fielding lineup I can recall. And when their best fielder in Maxwell has a shocker it just becomes more apparent

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Honestly it's a bit of depressing outcome overall that Australia simply didn't give much competition to India. Whether it is owing to India's superiority or Australia's deficiencies or a combination of both might be a matter for another debate. But as a fan of Indo Aussie matches I have always seen Aussies putting up some spunk eve if they lost ultimately.

Yep I know it's not the old Australia but a mid rung mediocre team overall but you'd expect them to scale up at home at least.

Potentially a seminal point in cricket history.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see India win. I think Jadhav is very valuable in ODIs. Keeps it tight, gets wickets and is a consistent batsman. Selection is tough for India though - lots of contenders.

Kirkut

International Regular
Honestly it's a bit of depressing outcome overall that Australia simply didn't give much competition to India. Whether it is owing to India's superiority or Australia's deficiencies or a combination of both might be a matter for another debate. But as a fan of Indo Aussie matches I have always seen Aussies putting up some spunk eve if they lost ultimately.

Yep I know it's not the old Australia but a mid rung mediocre team overall but you'd expect them to scale up at home at least.

Potentially a seminal point in cricket history.
Yes, they're pretty much going the WI way, don't be shocked if few years from now Aus players will value Big Bash more than tests.

Kirkut

International Regular
Cant believe this thread has become Bradman vs Tendulker. Indian fans win one series against a self imposed worst ever Aussie batting side and think they can re-write history.

Tendulker is not fit to lace up the Don's boots.
Nobody is. Except for Aussies nobody cares about Bradman.

Borges

International Regular
I'm not Australian, and I do care about Bradman.
I care even more about Trumper. Among all the dinosaurs that I haven't seen, I care most about Trumper.