• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Totally bizarre, young bloke getting crap tattoo shock.
I can understand people saying it is unwise etc. Prima Facie it looks like some sort of endorsement for guns I guess. But all of the moral panic about how he should be banned from playing for England etc. is really dumb. It's his body ffs.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fabinho and Keita are serious signings for Liverpool tbf.
Their recruitment is so so good. Fabinho isn't as spectacular a coup as Keita, but it's a really solid signing. Right age, decent price, area of squad they needed strengthened.

flibbertyjibber

I can understand people saying it is unwise etc. Prima Facie it looks like some sort of endorsement for guns I guess. But all of the moral panic about how he should be banned from playing for England etc. is really dumb. It's his body ffs.
Exactly, personally I think it looks bloody ridiculous but 99% of tattoos do anyway so not going to get wound up about this one. His body, he can do what he likes.

flibbertyjibber

Their recruitment is so so good. Fabinho isn't as spectacular a coup as Keita, but it's a really solid signing. Right age, decent price, area of squad they needed strengthened.
Still need a goalkeeper and a centre half though. Spent a fortune in areas that aren't as weak as those.

Uppercut

Still need a goalkeeper and a centre half though. Spent a fortune in areas that aren't as weak as those.
Yeah I assume they'll get a GK. Alisson looks likely, though he was pretty crap against Liverpool which often puts teams off.

They've been linked with Lascelles and Tarkowski but I'm not sure how well sourced those stories were. They might need to clear another CB out before getting one in.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah I assume they'll get a GK. Alisson looks likely, though he was pretty crap against Liverpool which often puts teams off.

They've been linked with Lascelles and Tarkowski but I'm not sure how well sourced those stories were. They might need to clear another CB out before getting one in.
Guess Butland may be an option as keeper. Can't see him staying at Stoke and unless De Gea goes there are only really Liverpool or Arsenal who could possibly afford him and need a new keeper.

Uppercut

Guess Butland may be an option as keeper. Can't see him staying at Stoke and unless De Gea goes there are only really Liverpool or Arsenal who could possibly afford him and need a new keeper.
I don't think Butland's good enough or the right type of keeper for a top six club. Hard to say who their second choice would be, possibly someone like Burki, but even then there's a big drop off from Alisson. With Keita and Van Dijk they waited a window or two to get the guy they really wanted and I think they'd do that again.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Butland not good enough at actual football to play for a top team. Solid enough keeper I think, without being spectacular.

Uppercut

Remember when people used to kill Liverpool for using analytics in their recruitment lol.
TBF it was pretty justified under Comolli.

Thing is, the clubs that clearly don't use analytics aren't even anywhere near the level they could be at without it. Simply aiming to sign fast 23 year olds instead of slow 30 year olds would improve Everton or United's recruitment by several orders of magnitude. The problems run pretty deep.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly, personally I think it looks bloody ridiculous but 99% of tattoos do anyway so not going to get wound up about this one. His body, he can do what he likes.
You Englishers love having a go at Raheem Sterling, don't you? Whose sausages has he eaten? This smells like lazy, maybe even covertly racist, stereotyping on the part of some, sad sad person :ranting:

cpr

International Coach
No we don't, its just The Sun "journalists" who love to have a go at him, everyone else pretty much calls it for what it is - pathetic attempts to demonise someone purely because he's young, rich and black.

flibbertyjibber

You Englishers love having a go at Raheem Sterling, don't you? Whose sausages has he eaten? This smells like lazy, maybe even covertly racist, stereotyping on the part of some, sad sad person :ranting:
Is that comment aimed at me?

Don't care about it at all and think it been blown out of all proportion. The same people who are wound up spend all the time telling us we shouldn't look at footballers as role models and are now up in arms because he is a role model setting a bad example.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Butland not good enough at actual football to play for a top team. Solid enough keeper I think, without being spectacular.
Liverpool would have settled for 'solid enough' on Saturday.

And it's not as if it was a one-off. People forget that Karius made exactly the same mistake in the first leg against Roma as he did for the 3rd goal in the final. Except that against Roma he got lucky and the ball hit the cross bar. As the score was 0-0 at the time, I think we can say it was significant. Someone who doesn't keep doing that in major matches would be an upgrade.

Uppercut

Liverpool would have settled for 'solid enough' on Saturday.

And it's not as if it was a one-off. People forget that Karius made exactly the same mistake in the first leg against Roma as he did for the 3rd goal in the final. Except that against Roma he got lucky and the ball hit the cross bar. As the score was 0-0 at the time, I think we can say it was significant. Someone who doesn't keep doing that in major matches would be an upgrade.
Clubs get into trouble when they sign too many average players to plug gaps though. Their level doesn't have far to fall before they become a liability, which is already what happened with Mignolet.

Plus they'd end up paying a big fee and wages anyway, because "we think you're mediocre but we're settling" doesn't really fly.