• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

veganbob

U19 Captain
That's the key to pushing on. Got Sandeep Lamichhane who is making a name for himself.

I heard something about their board being suspended from the ICC
Lamichhane could turn out to be a very special player. Their bowling has usually always impressed. They need a more stable batting line up if they are to push on to world cup qualification in the future, as the batying completely relies on paras khadka.

I've been to Nepal before, they really love their cricket there.

Their board got suspended a while ago for misusing funds given by the icc to build facilities/stadiums. Not sure if that ban has been lifted yet.

cnerd123

likes this
There always seems to be issues with the ICC funding certain boards who just somehow fritter the funds away. Zimbabwe, USA, Nepal. I'm sure there are more. At some point you would like the ICC to be more diligent with the cash, or reward off-field administrative competence over on-field results.

TimCutler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
There always seems to be issues with the ICC funding certain boards who just somehow fritter the funds away. Zimbabwe, USA, Nepal. I'm sure there are more. At some point you would like the ICC to be more diligent with the cash, or reward off-field administrative competence over on-field results.
They already do that - through the scorecard grant, which has Associates measured against each other on player numbers/grounds/umpires/coaches/non-ICC funding etc. Countries like Japan, Tanzania & France in the top 10 which means more than $400k pa.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They already do that - through the scorecard grant, which has Associates measured against each other on player numbers/grounds/umpires/coaches/non-ICC funding etc. Countries like Japan, Tanzania & France in the top 10 which means more than $400k pa.
What are your thoughts on this?

TimCutler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What are your thoughts on this?
More power to them - if the numbers are genuine* - then they deserve everything they get. HK are 17th and only that high because of their #1 ranking in non-ICC income - from 2016 i.e. Gov/Sports Institute/Blitz.

My only concerns around the scorecard have been that it does not take into account:

* the disparity of purchasing power of the USD that it is paid in (e.g. you can employ many more staff in PNG than HK for the same cost)
* the rate of change for any metrics - it only looks at hard total. I think the numbers should be a triangulation of hard numbers / rate of change (perhaps over three years?) and proportions (of population etc.) - so as to recognise members who are improving and/or cannot improve any further. (Bermuda is goo d example of this

An (extreme, I grant you) example of this is Bermuda:
- ~50% of the population are aged from 5-45.
- The population is ~65k.
- In 2015 They had 8,422 people participating (playing/in junior programmes etc.).
- This equates to one in every four "able" aged people between 5-45 are playing cricket (from participation in a dev programme to playing)
- This total had increased a thousand from the year before

Compare this to countries with stagnant numbers / higher populations who are higher up the chain on numbers alone getting more money... that's where a conversation can be had I feel.

Overall though, the idea behind the scorecard - and the practices it encourages is great. *Biggest problem is number fudging though - with so much money on the line countries have been known to "get creative".

SeamUp

International Coach
To have two hitters (particularly Zhuwao) up front you need to make sure 1 of your top 3 can go big. Mire makes 20 and 30s whilst Hammy isn't at his peak point in his career at the moment.

Zimbo's in a tough spot. Will take another miracle performance and they've had two already vs Afghanistan and Scotland !

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Pity for HK Chapman has gone over to NZ. Still think it's ridiculous that there was no waiting period like there would be if HK was a top tier nation. Same thing happened with Ireland players picked for England...

SeamUp

International Coach
Cracking win by Zimbabwe. It's basically a 3-way shoot-out between Zimbabwe, Scotland and Windies. Problem for Ireland and Afghanistan is they can only get to 6 points.

Zimbabwe 5
Scotland 5
Windies 4
Ireland 2
Afghanistan 2
UAE 0

veganbob

U19 Captain
Cracking win by Zimbabwe. It's basically a 3-way shoot-out between Zimbabwe, Scotland and Windies. Problem for Ireland and Afghanistan is they can only get to 6 points.

Zimbabwe 5
Scotland 5
Windies 4
Ireland 2
Afghanistan 2
UAE 0
If two teams are tied on equal points, is it nrr or head to head?

Zimbabwe only need to win vs UAE to guarantee a top 2 finish.

Afghanistan probably need two Huge margin wins to have a chance on nrr.

Scotland in a very good position too but will need to beat one of Ireland or westindies to get that top 2.

SeamUp

International Coach
If two teams are tied on equal points, is it nrr or head to head?

Zimbabwe only need to win vs UAE to guarantee a top 2 finish.

Afghanistan probably need two Huge margin wins to have a chance on nrr.

Scotland in a very good position too but will need to beat one of Ireland or westindies to get that top 2.
I actually put that down about Zim just needing to beat UAE to secure a top 2 spot but wasn't sure. But looks like NRR is first decider and Zimbabwe's result today helps them massively if they end on the same points as Scotland.

It's been a magnificent tournament for Scotland. It's in their hands but they have 2 massive tests to face still.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
Most probably WI will lead the points table in the end with Zim/Sco fighting for second spot with NRR coming into play. I am expecting a big margin win by Scotland over Ireland next game.

Tec15

First Class Debutant

Zimbabwe 5
Scotland 5
Windies 4
Ireland 2
Afghanistan 2
UAE 0
Scotland aren't really in it as much as the other two. I think it's more than likely that they'll lose their last two matches to Ireland and the Windies. Even if they beat Ireland, they'll still be vulnerable to being knocked out by NRR. Agreed that it would be very tough for Ireland and Afghanistan. I can see Afghanistan winning both their last two matches and still being pipped by the Windies and Zim. They'll need the UAE to pull of an upset against Zim and I don't think that'll happen.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Hopefully it will be Windies and Zim. The last thing the already terribly structured 2019 World Cup needs is for an associate like Scotland to stink up the joint for 9 (9!) torturous league matches.