• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

ajdude

International Coach
what's the go with the points carrying over to the next stage? does anyone else think that's ****ing stupid? i guess it's meant to make up for there being no semi final by giving an advantage to the teams who finish higher in the group stage, but idk just seems silly

Last edited:

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
what's the go with the points carrying over to the next stage? does anyone else think that's ****ing stupid? i guess it's meant to make up for there being no semi final by giving an advantage to the teams who finish higher in the group stage, but idk just seems silly
Yea it feels bad for a team when they finish low in groups because they have to compensate for it later, but if you think the other way its only fair. Teams had to play each game at their best from day 1.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Really sad to see Hong Kong fall short against Nepal there. Can't believe how awesomely Scotland continue to perform in this tournament. Too bad there probably isn't going to be any footage of that game.

cnerd123

likes this
Actually I think HK can still maintain ODI status. I need to confirm this, but if they win a bunch of games in the next phase of the tournament (round robin between the teams that didn't make the Super Sixes) and end up in the Top 2, they will retain ODI status.

cnerd123

likes this
Okay yea so HK play Netherlands up first while PNG plays Nepal. The results of that determine the second stage of play-offs - HK playing one of PNG/Nepal and Netherlands playing the other.

The two teams with the most points after that (or 1 team if Netherlands lose both games) will get ODI status.

Basically HK need 2 big wins now. Tough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah HK need to win both games. Despite just losing to Nepal I think they could take them or PNG should they beat the Netherlands, the that first game will be tough. My money would be on PNG snagging that last ODI spot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's fine IMO. It means the Super Six stage is effectively a proper round robin, without taking as long as a real round robin would.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I see Williams is back with Zim, any mention why he was dropped and brought back?

Im looking forward to the Afghanistan West Indies match.

cnerd123

likes this
Big day for HK today. Wonder what the XI will be.

Personally I'd stick with the same XI of the last game, except Scotty in for Simmo and fielding in the outfield while Carter keeps. He's a pretty good fielder, and can play on his batting alone.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm on a first name basis with Scotty okay :(

Not Simmo, he probably dislikes me because I gave him out LBW in a game and had to call him up for dissent after :ph34r:

TimCutler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Big day for HK today. Wonder what the XI will be.

Personally I'd stick with the same XI of the last game, except Scotty in for Simmo and fielding in the outfield while Carter keeps. He's a pretty good fielder, and can play on his batting alone.
Kinchit in for Shahid (not Simandeep but corrected) down the order. I think Kinchit should be opening with Anshuman. And it's killing me.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I can see the logic in moving Anshuman down to the middle order tbh. It's been a weak point for HK in the past - Nizakat, Anshuman and Babar was too top-heavy.

Not sure Kinchit would go much better than Scotty/Simmo, but worth a shot. Has good temperament. I'd like to see Ahsan play as well after how well he performed in the Blitz. Could be a good anchor in the middle order.

cnerd123

likes this
Early wicket but Netherlands have started strong. Looks like a good batting wicket. If they get a big score it's going to be a lot of pressure on Nizakat, Babar and Anshuman to chase it down.