• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

14th June - 1st Semi-final - England v Pakistan

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. Bairstow for Roy only makes the side even stronger. Scary scary batting line up that England are coming up with these days. But it should be a great contest if Pak bowl first. Their bowlers will go hard knowing the batsmen can't be depended upon to chase much more than 250-280, and with England's batting brimming with positivity and strokeplay, it should make for one hell of a contest.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Moeen Ali's done a fair bit of opening, could jiggle the batting order.

I'd stick with Roy if he's fit.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Starc/Haze are both better than Pakistani bowlers but I the depth of the Aussie attack is weaker compared to Pakistan's. If we get through the opening pairing I think we will be very well placed.
Starc yes but have to disagree with Hazlewood myself..also the quality of the Pakistani spinners will be better and England have always struggled against spin. Morgan and Root tend to play spin well but the others are vulnerable IMO.
EDIT: don't get me wrong as I said originally, I think England are favourites but they will find the Pakistani bowlers a test

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Morgan: "We have reasonably strong plans for 15 or 17 guys who we believe can take part in the 2019 World Cup and we are sticking to that plan."

This is in general a good a approach, but the use of '15 or 17' strikes me as not actually doing it. Bit vague.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
There's a world of difference between the best fielding side and what SL was yesterday. England just has to not be the latter.
to be fair, we are normally a decent fielding side just that we clearly weren't yesterday..not the best but certainly not the worst either..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Morgan: "We have reasonably strong plans for 15 or 17 guys who we believe can take part in the 2019 World Cup and we are sticking to that plan."

This is in general a good a approach, but the use of '15 or 17' strikes me as not actually doing it. Bit vague.

Nah.. give them the benefit of the doubt. There are always injuries and other unforeseen circumstances so planning for some 17 out of whom you think you will pick your 15 for the 2019 WC is not a bad option.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah.. give them the benefit of the doubt. There are always injuries and other unforeseen circumstances so planning for some 17 out of whom you think you will pick your 15 for the 2019 WC is not a bad option.
Actually it's more like there are 6-8 names he isn't quite sure of, so when he does the math in his head of how many will still be around in 2019, he estimates 15 to 17, and that has got to be lower than the pool they have now. Which means like 20 people. Which goes right against having 'strong plans'. Because it's very uncertain.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Yeah.. Bairstow for Roy only makes the side even stronger. Scary scary batting line up that England are coming up with these days. But it should be a great contest if Pak bowl first. Their bowlers will go hard knowing the batsmen can't be depended upon to chase much more than 250-280, and with England's batting brimming with positivity and strokeplay, it should make for one hell of a contest.
Agreed. Why would you want Roy when you can have Bairstow..cant think of a good reason at this stage in the CT.

91Jmay

International Coach
Starc yes but have to disagree with Hazlewood myself..also the quality of the Pakistani spinners will be better and England have always struggled against spin. Morgan and Root tend to play spin well but the others are vulnerable IMO.
EDIT: don't get me wrong as I said originally, I think England are favourites but they will find the Pakistani bowlers a test
England have the highest run rate against spin since last World Cup by miles and Pakistan really don't have any great spinners at the moment. I like Imad but he isn't going to run through anyone regularly.

smash84

The Tiger King
England have the highest run rate against spin since last World Cup by miles and Pakistan really don't have any great spinners at the moment. I like Imad but he isn't going to run through anyone regularly.
yeah,that was what i was thinking. England bad vs spin is not something that is true for this team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Semi final LMS

1. Will the captain who wins the toss opt to bat first?
2. Will a wicket fall in the first 5 overs?
3. Will a batsman make a hundred in the first innings?
4. Will the side batting first score 300 or more?
5. Will any spin bowler take three or more wickets?
TB: How many legal deliveries will be bowled in total?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Semi final LMS

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. No
TB: 560

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Semi final LMS

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes
TB: 580

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Semi final LMS

1. No
2.Yes
3.No
4.No
5.No
TB.565

mackembhoy

International Debutant
gonna be a battle of the bowlers here me thinks..England are clear favourites but the Pakistani bowlers will probably be the toughest test of the England batting line up they have faced in this tournament so far..
Well I heard that Australia had the best attack in the world. Make short work of them despite a shaky start.