• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Symonds starts were not as good at home as they were away. But which all rounders do you have ahead of him? Jayasuria and Klusener have good arguments. Pollock was more of a bowler, as was Dev (who was also unlucky not to make my list). So at worst he was the 5th best ODI all rounder in history (unless you count wicket keepers). I don't see how that doesn't qualify you for the top 25 in ODIs, given the importance of part time bowling.

Coz there are 25 better ODI cricketers than him, when discussing all tine? I said it before, Symonds was an extremely valuable ODI player and would have made most XIs of his era given the package of skills he brings to the side, but that does not mean he is either in discussion for an ATG ODI XI or amongst the 25 greatest ODI cricketers, ever.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Averages in Bevan's time are up from 29.78 to 31.74 (6.6%) in Kholi's time.

Strike rates are up from 78.5 in Bevan's time to 88 (12%) in Kholi's time.

I still can't figure out how to get Cricinfo to give me average match aggregates.

Make of those stats what you will as they include all batsmen including top and lower order players.

And that's from the start to the end of their careers across all top 8 nations.

Indian batsmen are averaging 36.85 today compared to 30.77 in Bevan's time. Australian batsmen have increased from 34.15 to 34.96 in the same time.

Australian strike rates have increased from 82.7 to 90 in that time and India's have increased from 80.5 to 93.7 in the same time. Which shows a pretty incredible transformation in Indian cricket in the space of two decades.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shane Watson I find to be incredibly underrated as an ODI player. Gun. Did everything well. Good outfielder too. Incredible value to the team.
Sure. There are days when I can just have Watson and Sachin opening in ODIs and get both Warne and Murali in my AT XI. He is actually a very under rated ODI all rounder.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alright, since Kohli debuted, ODI's between test playing nations have seen an average of 454.4 runs per match, vs 423.69 during Bevan's career. so 7.24%. Still nowhere near the 45% increase suggested by your comparison.

As for Jones, it's true. An average strike rate of 73.49, vs Jones' SR of 72.56.
Well there you go.

I ran the query for Viv and AB too, they're crazy

AB de Villers:
SR: 99.8
Era SR: 86.8

Viv:

SR: 90.2
Era SR: 72.3 :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I still can't figure out how to get Cricinfo to give me average match aggregates.

Make of those stats what you will as they include all batsmen including top and lower order players.

Indian batsmen are averaging 36.85 today compared to 30.77 in Bevan's time. Australian batsmen have increased from 34.15 to 34.96 in the same time.

Australian strike rates have increased from 82.7 to 90 in that time and India's have increased from 80.5 to 93.7 in the same time. Which shows a pretty incredible transformation in Indian cricket in the space of two decades.

You do understand that Kohli's stats actually contribute to those overall stats, right? They are not independent events.

stephen

Alright, since Kohli debuted, ODI's between test playing nations have seen an average of 454.4 runs per match, vs 423.69 during Bevan's career. so 7.24%. Still nowhere near the 45% increase suggested by your comparison.

As for Jones, it's true. An average strike rate of 73.49, vs Jones' SR of 72.56.
Comparing the strike rate of a top order batsman to overall isn't really fair because the last 10 overs in ODI cricket speeds the game up. A top order bat is less likely to be in during that time. I think you'll find that Jones had a better, or at least comparable strike rate to his contemporaries.

harsh.ag

Don't really care about all the other mistakes you're making, stephen, but could you please, for the love of god, stop writing "Kholi"??!!!

stephen

You do understand that Kohli's stats actually contribute to those overall stats, right? They are not independent events.
Yes, of course I do. I was looking at the stats, not passing judgment on them.

India's average win ratio has gone from 0.795 to 1.529 between the eras, which is remarkable. Kholi is a big part of that, as is Dhoni.

At home the win ratio is a whopping 2.4 since Kholi joined the team, though away it's "only" 1.09 (by comparison Australia are at 3/1.1 in the same time frame).

anil1405

International Captain

Australian strike rates have increased from 82.7 to 90 in that time and India's have increased from 80.5 to 93.7 in the same time. Which shows a pretty incredible transformation in Indian cricket in the space of two decades
Thats the closes stephen will come to accept that Kohli belongs in the list of top 25 ODI players.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay I am going to do a top 25 and I know Symonds won't be in it, objectively. Here goes:

Tendulkar
Viv
Kohli
Bevan
Abdv
Greenidge
Hussey
Abbas
Amla

Muralitharan
McGrath
Akram
Garner
Roberts
Starc
Lee
Saqlain
Donald

Dhoni
Gilchrist

L Klusener
A Flintoff
S Watson
S Pollock
J Kallis
No Jayasuriya? To me, he is the best allrounder ever in ODIs not just for his batting and bowling but also for the impact that he had on the opposition.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
neither will responding like that. The argument was laid out very well in the earlier pages.
Well, safe to say I disagree :p

Tendulkar was barely part time for the majority of his career. I think he had the ability to be an excellent 6th bowling option, but he just wasn't used enough. Symonds was. I don't think it's particularly close.

stephen

Look I stand corrected on Jones. He obviously wasn't as good statistically as I thought he was.

As for misspelling Kohli, he should learn the superior spelling of my auto correct :p.

Anyway my point about Kohli is that he is very good but not quite as good as his stats make him look. If he can keep this up with no major slump in his career for the next 5 years or so then he will truly be better than Tendulkar et al. Right now he's a 2007 Ponting. Brilliant, but we don't know what lies ahead.

stephen

Thats the closes stephen will come to accept that Kohli belongs in the list of top 25 ODI players.
Those stats included some other amazing Indian batsmen who have come along since the early 00s as well. It's not like Kohli is doing it alone.

But I agree that he's on the way there, just like Starc is on his way.

Shri

Mr. Glass
No Jayasuriya? To me, he is the best allrounder ever in ODIs not just for his batting and bowling but also for the impact that he had on the opposition.
Indians overrate Jayasuriya because he murdered us mostly. And Klusener is the perfect ODI allrounder.