• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How and Bell opened but I don't think Marshall figured.

Looking back, Sinclair played but didn't do very well, hence why he was replaced by Marshall for the away tour I guess.
Yeah Sinclair was despicable in the home series. He was still always more likely to score runs in England than James Marshall but try as I might I found it hard to argue against his exclusion after that home series. Southee scored more runs on debut in the final Test than Sinclair scored in the whole series, and his modes of dismissal were awful as well. That series is probably my saddest international cricketing memory, because I was so pumped for him to cement a place there and he was truly bad. It put me in such a bad mood all round for weeks, especially as I knew he had a good tour of England in him if he could've scraped into the squad.

He did look pretty good for 39 in one innings before slapping one to point though. I descended into self parody by recording it and uploading the highlights to YouTube with a creepy soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedPJFe76sM

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, a good 2-3 years earlier for Astle though wasn't it? Around 2006?
It was just before the 07WC. Tbf, I think Astle had probably done his dash - his average had been tracking steadily downwards for some time - with his lack of footwork he was always one of those players who'd struggle more when his hand-eye started to go.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He'd just lost all confidence in himself I think. He was also shuffled in that ODI order from opener to 3 and back which didn't help. I think he could've played a bit longer in Tests if he gave l/o away even though that was his better format.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was just before the 07WC. Tbf, I think Astle had probably done his dash - his average had been tracking steadily downwards for some time - with his lack of footwork he was always one of those players who'd struggle more when his hand-eye started to go.
He'd just lost all confidence in himself I think. He was also shuffled in that ODI order from opener to 3 and back which didn't help. I think he could've played a bit longer in Tests if he gave l/o away even though that was his better format.
Interesting theories, I thought first and foremost he'd had a guts full of Bracewell & his new-age player self-assessment cards etc etc. Although he did look to be losing form as well.

thierry henry

International Coach
iirc Astle was expected to play the 2006/07 World Cup but then retired mid-season and blamed it on Bracewell messing him about. I'm pretty sure he did play during the 2006/07 season. Put a major spanner in the works for our World Cup prep.

He was 35 at that point though and I'd say was pretty likely to retire after the World Cup anyway.

Zinzan

Although you can bet Astle would have been questioning himself when he saw the money flying around in the first IPL around 2008, I'm sure he would have figured if he could just have stayed playing white ball cricket for another season or two, he may have featured in those first couple of IPLs, along with the likes of Fleming, Oram, Styris etc.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Interesting theories, I thought first and foremost he'd had a guts full of Bracewell & his new-age player self-assessment cards etc etc. Although he did look to be losing form as well.
Probably that too. I think he lost form and confidence because of Bracewell and the setup.

vandem

International 12th Man
Yeah Sinclair was despicable in the home series. He was still always more likely to score runs in England than James Marshall but try as I might I found it hard to argue against his exclusion after that home series. Southee scored more runs on debut in the final Test than Sinclair scored in the whole series, and his modes of dismissal were awful as well. That series is probably my saddest international cricketing memory, because I was so pumped for him to cement a place there and he was truly bad. It put me in such a bad mood all round for weeks, especially as I knew he had a good tour of England in him if he could've scraped into the squad.

He did look pretty good for 39 in one innings before slapping one to point though. I descended into self parody by recording it and uploading the highlights to YouTube with a creepy soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedPJFe76sM
IIRC James Marshall, Flynn and Hay were the leading contenders for 2 batting spots, all with similar season FC numbers, all with the prospect of a 5+ year career in the middle order.

With hindsight the weak test middle order was partially a NZ cricket problem, if they'd handled the Taylor test introduction better I think Styris could have played tests for a couple more years, and if they'd accepted a split white ball / red ball captaincy (my understanding is this was suggested by Fleming) then Fleming would have had 1-2 more seasons in test cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Gah, such a bad period. So many quality cricketers lost to injury and poor management. Just off the top of my head, all of Bond, O'Brien, McMillan, Styris, Fleming, Adams and Ryder should've played so much more than they actually did.
The scary thing is, that period coincided with the reign of a horrible CEO, that allowed things like Bond being black banned for his ICL involvement, the appointment of Andy Moles, the failure to knock player power on the head, lack of structure and substance for the Academy, overseeing a **** environment at the highest level overall. And we have a **** CEO now too, who is getting progressively worse.

Blain

U19 Captain
David White seems confused about everything he discusses. Also he seems like a guy who thinks he is right 100% of the time, my way or the highway kind of guy.

Seems like a bit of a ****

jcas0167

International Debutant
iirc Astle was expected to play the 2006/07 World Cup but then retired mid-season and blamed it on Bracewell messing him about. I'm pretty sure he did play during the 2006/07 season. Put a major spanner in the works for our World Cup prep.

He was 35 at that point though and I'd say was pretty likely to retire after the World Cup anyway.
Yeah, Lou Vincent came in as opener for the tri-series in Australia and did very well. There was an article at the time suggesting Jesse Ryder was considering playing for Ireland because he was frustrated at missing the World Cup squad. In hindsight, he would have been very handy at that World Cup in the West Indies on the relatively flat wickets & with his medium pace.

I shared Prince EWS's frustration with Sinclair during that England series. He finally had a chance to cement a place and he just couldn't do it. Was it nerves? I remember Simon Doull calling for James Marshall to replace him after Sinclair sliced one to point for a relatively soft dismissal.

Mike5181

International Captain
Ian Smith denounced Matthew Sinclair's selection for the Bangladesh series, or at least one of the games, in 2008 iirc. Sinclair on screen* Is this guy really a better cricketer than Scott Styris?

Justified or not, that sort of stuff was genuinely heartbreaking as a Sinclair fan.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Lol Sinclair and Bell being replaced by Redmond and James Marshall. Man we were blessed at that stage. Still think Taylor's 154* at Old Trafford was his best ever innings.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
David White seems confused about everything he discusses. Also he seems like a guy who thinks he is right 100% of the time, my way or the highway kind of guy.

Seems like a bit of a ****
To block Ross from playing in the BBL, when Hesson had okay'ed it, was absolute dick-show-ery at his finest - but certainly not unexpected from David White. But hey that's cool, if we further alienate Ross I'm sure there's people queueing up to bat at 4...

Blain

U19 Captain
I shared Prince EWS's frustration with Sinclair during that England series. He finally had a chance to cement a place and he just couldn't do it. Was it nerves? I remember Simon Doull calling for James Marshall to replace him after Sinclair sliced one to point for a relatively soft dismissal.
Doull drools over any ND product to be fair. He tried to put Brad Wilson into selection discussions several seasons ago.. The guy was rocking Aero styled pads at the time FFS!

Zinzan

Ian Smith denounced Matthew Sinclair's selection for the Bangladesh series, or at least one of the games, in 2008 iirc. Sinclair on screen* Is this guy really a better cricketer than Scott Styris?

Justified or not, that sort of stuff was genuinely heartbreaking as a Sinclair fan.
Jeez Skippy was an enigma wasn't he. I'll never forget how excited I was about his double on debut, I genuinely thought we were seeing a future great and then.......

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jeez Skippy was an enigma wasn't he. I'll never forget how excited I was about his double on debut, I genuinely thought we were seeing a future great and then.......
It was one of my earliest cricketing memories, me enjoying cricket despite being pretty annoyed that it meant there were no afternoon cartoons on TV.