• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I've changed my mind on this. Originally I thought tough ****, but then he did everything in his power to ground his bat. I know **** happens but there's no just in it - I can't think of another dismissal that could go near rivalling it. Run out at bowler's end, shouldn't back up. Caught off bat pad's toe, was aerial long enough. With this one, it's really the integrity of the ground that's cost him his wicket, with zero fault. Can't see why a batsman should be allowed to be dismissed in an instance where he holds no culpability at all.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I've changed my mind on this. Originally I thought tough ****, but then he did everything in his power to ground his bat. I know **** happens but there's no just in it - I can't think of another dismissal that could go near rivalling it. Run out at bowler's end, shouldn't back up. Caught off bat pad's toe, was aerial long enough. With this one, it's really the integrity of the ground that's cost him his wicket, with zero fault. Can't see why a batsman should be allowed to be dismissed in an instance where he holds no culpability at all.
How is that any different to when a batsmen tries to slide his bat and his bat gets jammed short of his ground and the batsman gets run out because of it (as has happened in the Big Bash a couple times this season)? In that case should a batsman be not out as well? I mean, yeah it was bad luck and not necessarily his fault by my attitude is tough ****.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How is that any different to when a batsmen tries to slide his bat and his bat gets jammed short of his ground and the batsman gets run out because of it (as has happened in the Big Bash a couple times this season)? In that case should a batsman be not out as well? I mean, yeah it was bad luck and not necessarily his fault by my attitude is tough ****.
Because Wagner had made his ground? Liken it to the baseball first base rule. Once you touch the mat, you're in. If you trip one stride short, you're out. I completely see what you mean by the bolded, but to me it's very easy to decide that once you pass the crease, you're in. I can't see that anyone will have an issue with that. What if someone is forced wide by a bowler/fielder, runs onto an old wicket, makes his crease but bounces out of a foot hole? Is that fair? To me, no. If they're short of their crease and it happens, it's still bad luck but it's easier to say well you weren't in your crease, left it too tight, out.

The amazing thing is that this ruling has kinda overshadowed the ridiculous effort to even bother back flicking and then hitting the stumps, and the umpire's decision to send it upstairs. Although I think I read somewhere it was Llong, and he probably decided 'the bat could have been anywhere' (no I am not over Adelaide)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd make the distinction that if you have anything grounded out of the crease, then you're out, but if you crossed the crease and you're in the air, you're in.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As in crossed the crease, you mean crossed it on the ground right? Not as in Daniel Vettori Lord's 2008 I think it was, when he was run out by Monty Panesar of all people - across the crease vertically but still out.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As in crossed the crease, you mean crossed it on the ground right? Not as in Daniel Vettori Lord's 2008 I think it was, when he was run out by Monty Panesar of all people - across the crease vertically but still out.
That was the Taylor Headingley Test IIRC & we had two run outs in the row, Oram, then that lazy running from Vettori.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old Trafford.

I tell you what, that result puts the Bangladesh efforts in perspective. We started out strongly in the first and second innings of the match, only to give it all away in 3 & 4. It happens.

Zinzan

Old Trafford.

I tell you what, that result puts the Bangladesh efforts in perspective. We started out strongly in the first and second innings of the match, only to give it all away in 3 & 4. It happens.
Again though, if NZ were minnows at that time and had only ever won 1 test going into that series, and had actually lost all 3 tests in that series (and not just 2-0 with a draw), then they wouldn't have done anything for their case of having their minnow tag removed, in spite of getting themselves into good positions in certain times.

By the way the 3rd test of that series was an innings loss IIRC.

Blain

U19 Captain
That was the terrible year where we got smoked by Sidebottom home and away. Was it Strauss who went huge in NZ?

God we sucked. James Marshall at 3 says it all really.

Zinzan

Old Trafford.

Right you are that it was Old Trafford. Not sure why I had Headingley in my head.

The other NZ highlight aside from Taylor's brilliant hundred, was that spell from O'Brien in England's 1st innings. Vettori got the 5-fer, but I recall O'Brien bowling superbly that innings & with quite a bit of fire.

NZTailender

That was the terrible year where we got smoked by Sidebottom home and away. Was it Strauss who went huge in NZ?

And wasn't that at a time when we had no options for openers but a lot of middle order candidates? And yet he still got a gig. Looking up the stats he did average 51 with 2 centuries for the 07/08 season so I'm assuming that's why he got the nod but ffs.

NZTailender

Right you are that it was Old Trafford. Not sure why I had Headingley in my head.

The other NZ highlight aside from Taylor's brilliant hundred, was that spell from O'Brien in England's 1st innings. Vettori got the 5-fer, but I recall O'Brien bowling superbly that innings & with quite a bit of fire.
Yeah that was around the time O'Brien surprised everyone (myself included) by actually looking Test standard AND being quite threatening.

Pity he gave it away not long after.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

And we actually managed to win a Test in amongst all that, at Hamilton where from memory Ross got big runs and Lord Mills took 4 up front in the fourth innings to skittle them. Pummeled at the Basin and Napier to follow.

You say James Marshall at 3 says it all, Matthew Bell was the opener as well was he not? With Jamie How his partner?

NZTailender

And we actually managed to win a Test in amongst all that, at Hamilton where from memory Ross got big runs and Lord Mills took 4 up front in the fourth innings to skittle them. Pummeled at the Basin and Napier to follow.

You say James Marshall at 3 says it all, Matthew Bell was the opener as well was he not? With Jamie How his partner?
How and Bell opened but I don't think Marshall figured.

Looking back, Sinclair played but didn't do very well, hence why he was replaced by Marshall for the away tour I guess.

Zinzan

Yeah that was around the time O'Brien surprised everyone (myself included) by actually looking Test standard AND being quite threatening.

Pity he gave it away not long after.
It ripped my undies that he bowled probably as fast as he ever had & with the best rhythm in his final Test match vs. Pakistan in 2010. That was the Test weather robbed NZ of a series win in the final day. http://www.espncricinfo.com/nzvpak2009/engine/match/423780.html

Was also Bond's last series having injured himself following his match winning spell in the 1st test. Story of his career.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Gah, such a bad period. So many quality cricketers lost to injury and poor management. Just off the top of my head, all of Bond, O'Brien, McMillan, Styris, Fleming, Adams and Ryder should've played so much more than they actually did.