• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2016/17

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There were probably more Australians than Pakistanis numerically, but the Pakistanis were no doubt far, far more vocal.

Last edited:

Burgey

Indeed.

Just a heads up on the word you used to describe the visiting fans.i know it's not been regarded as derogatory in Aus in the past, but it is to forum members from OS and not used here. Thought I'd let you know.

TheJediBrah

Indeed.

Just a heads up on the word you used to describe the visiting fans.i know it's not been regarded as derogatory in Aus in the past, but it is to forum members from OS and not used here. Thought I'd let you know.
as in the abbreviation for the country?

How could that possibly be seen as derogatory?

Burgey

It's seen as such in the northern hemisphere and the UK in particular as I understand it. I didn't realise myself until I traveled there and was told. Others can probably confirm better than me. I don't know the background to it being considered a racist slur.

DriveClub

International Regular
Yeah I really don't think NZ even features on Australia's cricketing radar, and nor should it frankly. Just a stepping stone and a tune up on the way to better opposition. Much like the Wallabies are for the All Blacks, except it applies in all forms of cricket, limited overs and tests.

These ODI series atm are good for giving the selectors a look at some younger blokes, and also good for the lesser nations to have a rare shot at putting up a contest against Australia, which they so rarely do. It gives them some false hope in between WCs before they're usually dispensed with easily when it really matters.
Damn right Burge, it's a shame we're unable to forge an intense rivalry with our little brothers across the pond since they're not good enough but if they join our shield as the 7th team they can definitely improve their cricket and give us a close run. Their ego just doesn't allow them to do that!!

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't ditch it all together but I definitely feel there should be less of the bilateral end-of-test one-day stuff. Why not just have one 'winner-takes-all'' one-dayer and one Twenty20 following a test series, in a venue which has obviously not hosted one of the tests? Why have we got to have five one-dayers and two-three T20s, that drag on aimlessly way past the memory of the test series has faded?

South Africa and Sri Lanka are going to play five one-dayers and three T20s. That is crazy scheduling!

Compton

International Debutant
It's seen as such in the northern hemisphere and the UK in particular as I understand it. I didn't realise myself until I traveled there and was told. Others can probably confirm better than me. I don't know the background to it being considered a racist slur.
Yeah, being from the UK I'll confirm this. It's the sort of term that - where I'm from at least - most people will cringe at hearing it used, if not directly challenge it.

It's essentially as one would expect, it became offensive through the context in which it was used; normally paired with some more offensive words to make clear that the term was anything but endearing.

It's gone from a term used pretty commonly to one that you essentially never hear in the space of 20-odd years.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Pakistan 1 win away from virtually tying with Bangladesh in ODI rankings. Interesting the 3way relegation (to the WC qualifiers) between those two and West Indies.

I do think 3-3-3 (Tests, ODI's, T20I's) system is good for series between most countries. I also find they should somehow incorporate what (where everyone plays everyone at least 3 times minimum between world cups) they are doing in Women's ODI Championship. Say, have 13 teams play each other with 6 home series and 6 away series. Keep the world rankings but also ensure more balanced touring (Bangladesh and Zimbabwe won't go stretch with any matches). Also ensures Afghanistan and Ireland gets brought in the party along with 1 other associate. I also think 13 team idea was also mooted by the administrators.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, being from the UK I'll confirm this. It's the sort of term that - where I'm from at least - most people will cringe at hearing it used, if not directly challenge it.

It's essentially as one would expect, it became offensive through the context in which it was used; normally paired with some more offensive words to make clear that the term was anything but endearing.

It's gone from a term used pretty commonly to one that you essentially never hear in the space of 20-odd years.
Yeah this.

I was at the 2002 Ashes test in Melb and sat with the Barmy Army and 3 or 4 young Aussie lads did the conga through our stand singing "I'd rather be a P*** than a Pom" at the time it was taken as a bit of banter and we mostly laughed and gave them a bit a friendly **** back. At Adelaide in 2010 a similar thing happened but this time the young Aussie lads were jeered and heckled and very firmly told to GTFO........it was quite unpleasant allround and the young lads soon took off back to their own seats.

Just shows how attitudes to the word had changed in 8 years, in the UK at least.

And ftr I don't think TJB meant any malice or ill intent in the use of the word at all, there is no real history or context to the term in Aus so to most cons it is just simply a shortened version of Pakistan. Good on Burgey for politely pointing it out though so that he knows.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I was at a Blast game last season, Durham v Lancashire, and a bunch of Lanky supporters started singing, ''I'd rather be a **** than a Geordie.'' Nobody really batted an eye lid.