• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Williamson hasn't done that much in the subcontinent since his first tour of India, right?
Yeah I know he had a bad tour in the two tests he played (think he would have had a much more flattering, but not outstanding tour if he played the other test) but I'd still back him and his technique more than Amla or AB (currently) or the rest of the candidates I thought of on show. Shafiq was the only other real choice that came to my mind, maybe Bairstow even as a batsman.

Unless I'm allowed to throw Haseeb into the middle order, I could go for that.

Come to think of it, I probably didn't give Herath enough consideration either instead of the drug addict.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root had lots of luck to survive in the 2nd innings in Mumbai, which was the one occasion the ball was turning sharply. Having said that, I missed all his other innings this series so dunno really.

Agree with indiaholic's point though, Williamson is a fine player of spin and Ashwin just got the better of him on this occasion. He's made tons in India, SL and UAE in the past to prove that.

morgieb

Starc's record in Asia is bizarre. Averaged 15 against Sri Lanka but it was like 100 against Pakistan and India. TBF, he's a much better bowler now than he was two years ago.

indiaholic

International Captain
He is going to win at least one test entirely on his own. I expect something like Steyn in Nagpur from him.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Point being, why risk it when you know what you'll get from Steyn and Starc with support from Stokes in the seam dept.
You're ****ing kiding me! Im displaying this hideous avatar as a result of a bet with you on how Stokes will perform in India. Stokes crapped out, i lost and you won.......and you've got the hide to pick him in a world 11 to play there. GTFO.

Zinzan

Nope. His defense was in no way better than Williamson's.
Sorry. he coped much better clearly, & hence scored a lot more runs at a much better average. I'm not sure why you asked about the nature of the dismissals, because the answer of '2 bowled and 2 LBWs' are about as comprehensive as you get in terms of a bowler dominating a batsman.

Had KW been run out or out to some freakish catch close in or something, that might be different, but these were all a case of bowler being too good for batsman.

Anyway fellas, time to get ready,... happy new year all!

Zinzan

You're ****ing kiding me! Im displaying this hideous avatar as a result of a bet with you on how Stokes will perform in India. Stokes crapped out, i lost and you won.......and you've got the hide to pick him in a world 11 to play there. GTFO.
Lol, I actually think his average of just over 40 in those conditions was a good result as a 3rd seamer tbh, you were a little unlucky, Stokes bowled better than I thought. I thought it might be in 50+.

indiaholic

International Captain
Give Williamson a chance to play on that Rajkot and Chennai pitch and then we can make valid comparisons.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, I actually think his average of just over 40 in those conditions was a good result as a 3rd seamer tbh, you were a little unlucky, Stokes bowled better than I thought. I thought it might be in 50+.
Yeah, tbf he was literally one wicket over 5 tests of being below 40......was a close run race for sure.

Gnske

well you answered your own query there
Is he though? You keep re-iterating this in tour threads correctly IIRC, but to me he still bowls filth for most of his deliveries, he's just bowling one or two more wicket-takers per however many filthy ones he dishes out as opposed to consistent good bowling.

He bowled well in Sri Lanka, but being honest the Sri Lankans were so ill-equipped for his style that you'd be tempted to call it a downhill ski like how our bowlers toyed with the Windies during the pre-Ashes tour.

TheJediBrah

Is he though? You keep re-iterating this in tour threads correctly IIRC, but to me he still bowls filth for most of his deliveries, he's just bowling one or two more wicket-takers per however many filthy ones he dishes out as opposed to consistent good bowling.

He bowled well in Sri Lanka, but being honest the Sri Lankans were so ill-equipped for his style that you'd be tempted to call it a downhill ski like how our bowlers toyed with the Windies during the pre-Ashes tour.
You make some very good points. I didn't watch a single ball of the Sri Lanka tour so I'm just going off results and reports.

But from what I've seen he's definitely much better now than he was back in 2013, and early 2014, even if he still bowls plenty of rubbish

Shri

Mr. Glass
I'd probably have A Ali opening with Cook, dropping Amla to 3 & Root at 4 instead of Smith. Also surely one spinner light aren't you? Herath instead of Amir for me.
Shakib and Shah are in there. Would probably drop Stokes for a bat since I am not a fan of 6 bowlers in the XI and 5 should be more than enough anyway.

Cook
Amla
Williamson
Root
Smith*
De Villiers+
Shakib
Amir
Shah
Starc
Steyn

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You make some very good points. I didn't watch a single ball of the Sri Lanka tour so I'm just going off results and reports.

But from what I've seen he's definitely much better now than he was back in 2013, and early 2014, even if he still bowls plenty of rubbish
He's such an improved bowler but I reckon Smith runs him into the ground a bit.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Root should try full knuckling down when he gets near the ton tbh, I know its tantamount to anathema for lack of a proper analogy to be selfish in that way, ironically in a part of the game which requires you to be selfish. But I don't think the Australian in Bayliss, or his team would mind if their star batsman was consolidating his tons as the bulwark to build around as opposed to being merely a few planks in the galleon.

I say this because I can't recall many times where he has noticeably slowed when I've been watching when nearing landmarks, free player in that if he sees it might be hit, he will try to hit it, but sometimes too free for his own good.
Very well said. I wonder if he is swayed by outside expectations. Some players - Warner infuriates me for this - seem like they take on the persona given to them from the media. Players need to get selfish. Do the Waugh thing and score runs rather than look good and pleasing. Root would still be scoring at a good clip, even if he backed off, and once he starts converting hundreds everyone will love him more.

Gnske

That's quite possible, but Root to me has never seemed weighed down by that sort of expectation. I think it's just a loss of his reactive judgement or patience, or both as time goes on. Suspect its the former given the frequency he gets out on that back foot jab he does (Might just be me, but I swear he does this all the time in the 70s-80s)

It'd be interesting to dig up his strike rates in the 12 or so balls he plays before his times getting out in the 70s-90s to see if its the latter.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
wtf???? I ordered a vegetarian and the ****ers put pineapple on it. Pineapple is not a ****ing vegetable - get your **** together pizza ****heads.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pineapple is the fruit that fell out of god's ass when he turned around to leave Earth after creation.