• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
On such pitches even an average of 30 is pretty good, sounds low but its actually pretty high on those sub 150, sub 200 run wickets!

So it depends.., but I think they'll be on the flatter side.. which won't be fun..
(BCCI would want the games to last 5 days, rather than finish in less than 3 days).
Slow turners are probably the best way for India to beat us tbh, we have struggled hardcore on those kinds of pitches ever since 2011. Put on 400, dare us to match it. 150 v 150 becomes too much of a lottery.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Smith is Lara levels of talented.. What are you all on about? His hand eye coordination and ability to gauge length are absolutely insane. You can't bat like a flailing tube doll and be so outrageously good without being jam packed with talent. Aesthetics are not equal to talent.
Yeah Smith has incredible hand-eye coordination no doubt. Takes serious talent to bat the way he does. The only question is, how well will his technique hold up when his feet slow down a bit and his eye gets a little worse? Probably not as well as the other three. But that doesn't matter while judging him right now.
Fully agree. If we are lucky, we may see Kohli's Sachin up against Smith's Lara and Root's Ponting with KW's Dravid/ Sanga being the unsung hero. I mean the Chump's already got the one man batting line up thing going for him a few times, a la Lara. ☺

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean he could change his technique again to make it work as he gets more experience, he doesn't bat remotely the same way as he did in 2010/11 (he used to stay really legside of the ball and try to hit everything through cover point)

EDIT: If we're doing comparisons then Kohli matches up more with Ponting IMO. KW is more Sachin, Root is Lara, Smith is Sanga. No comments on comparatively qualities, just more the way they bat.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty spot on the mark tbh Spark.

Personally I've got an image of Smith as a fusion between Lara and Sanga, on the former with his absolute flair, craziness of shots and elegance (yes, I actually seriously think his batting is beautiful,even elegant at his best) and with the latter the pure weight of his runs at home and ability away in the midst of usually mediocre away team performances. Also he has his Mahela to his Sanga in Warner, who to me at this rate seems like he'll have a Jayawardene-like career.

Spark

Global Moderator
Actually the best comparison for Root is Clarke. Similar counterattacking instincts, similar penchant for bat**** insane innings, similar propensity to get out reaaaaally annoying ways, often with loose shots outside off stump.

Think most people would bet on Root to end up with a better record, though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it was only a relatively short period in his (Clarkes) career...........but **** I would love for Root to start scoring double and triple hundreds for fun the way Clarke did during 2012.

Spark

Global Moderator
I know it was only a relatively short period in his (Clarkes) career...........but **** I would love for Root to start scoring double and triple hundreds for fun the way Clarke did during 2012.
Right that's the main difference between them right now. Root is an unusually bad converter for a world class batsman, Clarke was equal with Sanga as the best at it of his contemporaries.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sparky, I was on the whole "Virat s the new Ponting" waaaay before you or anyone here mate. But I m obviously biased and want him to be as good as Sachin. ☺

And yeah I meant those comparisons more in terms of output rather any strict batting aesthetics similarity.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean he could change his technique again to make it work as he gets more experience, he doesn't bat remotely the same way as he did in 2010/11 (he used to stay really legside of the ball and try to hit everything through cover point)

EDIT: If we're doing comparisons then Kohli matches up more with Ponting IMO. KW is more Sachin, Root is Lara, Smith is Sanga. No comments on comparatively qualities, just more the way they bat.
Stylistically the first two work for me. Last two, not so much. Think Root and Lara are very far apart, as are Smith and Sangakkara.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sparky, I was on the whole "Virat s the new Ponting" waaaay before you or anyone here mate. But I m obviously biased and want him to be as good as Sachin. ☺

And yeah I meant those comparisons more in terms of output rather any strict batting aesthetics similarity.
Haha I remember actually. But it's not so much about aesthetics but their approach to batting, every single innings is a chance to personally give a nice big "**** you for even thinking you could beat us" to the opposition. Smith, like Sanga, is just absolutely remorseless once he's in, almost machine-like.

Stylistically the first two work for me. Last two, not so much. Think Root and Lara are very far apart, as are Smith and Sangakkara.
Yeah I'm not talking about aesthetics here.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Right that's the main difference between them right now. Root is an unusually bad converter for a world class batsman, Clarke was equal with Sanga as the best at it of his contemporaries.
It definitely is an issue for Root, and is the main reason I've currently got him behind Smith and VK. From things he's said I know it's a concern for him too so I'm sure it will be something he's desperate to fix........hopefully he can.

Spark

Global Moderator
It definitely is an issue for Root, and is the main reason I've currently got him behind Smith and VK. From things he's said I know it's a concern for him too so I'm sure it will be something he's desperate to fix........hopefully he can.
To be honest I do kind of wonder if you have to take it as given. His first instinct in almost any situation is to attack, and that can lead to... unpleasant results sometimes. Amazing when it comes off, though, and it means that until he actually gets out he looks godlike.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest I do kind of wonder if you have to take it as given. His first instinct in almost any situation is to attack, and that can lead to... unpleasant results sometimes. Amazing when it comes off, though, and it means that until he actually gets out he looks godlike.
I dunno about that. He was pretty vocal about how disappointed he was with himself after Lords against Pakistan and said he knows that pretty 50's don't win tests...........next test 254. And he played a much more disciplined innings at OT compiling that 250........I think with experience he can just keep a bit of a lid on that instinct and know when to attack and when to sit back.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lesson's gotta stick, though. I do actually expect him to iron it out, but watching him get out like that over and over again when he really should be putting the opposition team to the sword frustrates me and I'm not even English.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Lesson's gotta stick, though. I do actually expect him to iron it out, but watching him get out like that over and over again when he really should be putting the opposition team to the sword frustrates me and I'm not even English.
Yeah 100%. No good fixing it once and then reverting to the same.

And trust me it is ****ing frustrating as an English fan. I reckon most of the $ I've lost betting on cricket the last few years would be betting on Joe Root making hundreds. **** owes me a heap.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli's the best because aesthetically, his batting is the best looking. Smith and Root are flat our ugly, and KW is elegant but lacks that extra oomph.

It's also funny how their batting aesthetics align perfectly with the aesthetics of their faces too. Smith and Root are just flat out ugly and awkward but somehow get the job done and get the girl. KW is pretty and has a face which screams that you can rely on him. but he doesn't get enough attention. Kohli's clearly the best looking and has the most swag, but unlike KW, you now you can't really trust him.

F*** - Kohli, Marry- Kane, Kill- Root, Smith

This is clearly much more important than anything else discussed in the thread thus far.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root should try full knuckling down when he gets near the ton tbh, I know its tantamount to anathema for lack of a proper analogy to be selfish in that way, ironically in a part of the game which requires you to be selfish. But I don't think the Australian in Bayliss, or his team would mind if their star batsman was consolidating his tons as the bulwark to build around as opposed to being merely a few planks in the galleon.

I say this because I can't recall many times where he has noticeably slowed when I've been watching when nearing landmarks, free player in that if he sees it might be hit, he will try to hit it, but sometimes too free for his own good.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean I do think it is just that he's completely selfless and doesn't care for his average w/e at all, just thinks that attacking is the best thing for the team. But the thing is, England have depended on him so often in the last few years that it's actually better for the team if he is a little more "selfish" about things. Particularly if he's gonna bat 3 full time from now on.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli's the best because aesthetically, his batting is the best looking. Smith and Root are flat our ugly, and KW is elegant but lacks that extra oomph.

It's also funny how their batting aesthetics align perfectly with the aesthetics of their faces too. Smith and Root are just flat out ugly and awkward but somehow get the job done and get the girl. KW is pretty and has a face which screams that you can rely on him. but he doesn't get enough attention. Kohli's clearly the best looking and has the most swag, but unlike KW, you now you can't really trust him.

F*** - Kohli, Marry- Kane, Kill- Root, Smith

This is clearly much more important than anything else discussed in the thread thus far.
GTFO. Joe Root is neither ugly at the crease nor in the face.