• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Azhar
Cook
Williamson
Root
Smith
Sarfraz
Stokes
Shakib
Yasir
Starc
Hazlewood

12th - Abbott (Switch for Starc)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook
Amla
Root
Smith*
De Villiers+
Shakib
Stokes
Amir
Shah
Starc
Steyn
I'd probably have A Ali opening with Cook, dropping Amla to 3 & Root at 4 instead of Smith. Also surely one spinner light aren't you? Herath instead of Amir for me.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd probably have A Ali opening with Cook, dropping Amla to 3 & Root at 4 instead of Smith. Also surely one spinner light aren't you? Herath instead of Amir for me.
Yeah I don't know what Amir's done to get into that side. Has he even played more than a handful of Tests in Asian conditions?

EDIT: Haze is a no as well. Has to be Steyn, or someone else who can bowl stump to stump with reverse swing.

Zinzan

Yeah I don't know what Amir's done to get into that side. Has he even played more than a handful of Tests in Asian conditions?
Agree, there's little evidence to suggest Amir would do any better than Boult (who actually had reasonable returns in India)m and I wouldn't have him in there either.

Shakib is a nice bonus batting in the top 7 giving you a bowling attack of

Starc
Steyn
Stokes
Herath
Shah
Shakib

without effecting the batting depth too much, quite a luxury. Bairstow would have to be thereabouts after what he's just done as well.

Cook/Warner
A Ali
Amla
Root
Stokes
Bairstow+
Shakib
Starc
Shah
Steyn
Herath

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
To be honest Amir could go there and absolutely carve it up, we just don't know. Entirely conjecture at this point.

Zinzan

To be honest Amir could go there and absolutely carve it up, we just don't know. Entirely conjecture at this point.
Point being, why risk it when you know what you'll get from Steyn and Starc with support from Stokes in the seam dept.

Zinzan

Incidentally, you could make a half decent current day Test side of "Ss" atm eh?

Shafiq
Sharma
Smith
Stokes
Shakib
Santner
Saha +
Starc
Southee
Shah
Steyn

Even if a little bowling heavy

indiaholic

International Captain
Bowled on a couple of occasions at least, deceiving him with his length.
Ah well I will make my point now.. He was doing what Root was trying to do too, which is play Ashwin off the back foot. Worked for a time until the ball spun too sharply.. I absolutely hate hate this narrative that Root proved he was some magnificent creature of light in that India series because he averaged more than Williamson.

Zinzan

Ah well I will make my point now.. He was doing what Root was trying to do too, which is play Ashwin off the back foot. Worked for a time until the ball spun too sharply.. I absolutely hate hate this narrative that Root proved he was some magnificent creature of light in that India series because he averaged more than Williamson.
I'm missing your point here, you may hate it, but obviously Root handled it better.