• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discussing Infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think people need to keep in mind the mods do this stuff as volunteers. There's been times I've disagreed with **** they've decided, but at the end of the day unless you're prepared to get paid nothing and be a sounding board for every whinger on the site and arbitrate disputes between angry and juvenile members (like me), you pretty much have to wear the decision or sod off.
Hear, hear, Very good point.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agree with Burgey. My only concern is that the mods are maybe not active enough on the forums.. Think they would have banned people way earlier if that was the case.
Would say it's more a flaw in how the site is moderated. A lot of the mods are pretty active but the moderating process doesn't often lend itself to quick decisions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
We used to need a full discussion before banning someone, but this was more before the infraction system was used.

We will still discuss a permanent/non-infraction related banning.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I'll take a guess as to what is going to happen. Everyone who has been gung-ho about this whole thing, if they become mods soon, will just go along with the process with no change. Because, let's face it, they might realize their eagerness to ban people might come back to bite them in the ass and will quickly pipe down.

the big bambino

International Captain
Handing out infractions is like giving someone out LBW - the person who receives them never agrees with them, and for everyone else at the ground it depends on where they're standing.
At another site there was a moderator guilty of doing stuff for which he infracted other people. When he was told this he became like Dr. Grace who put the bails back on after he was bowled.

Zinzan

I'll take a guess as to what is going to happen. Everyone who has been gung-ho about this whole thing, if they become mods soon, will just go along with the process with no change. Because, let's face it, they might realize their eagerness to ban people might come back to bite them in the ass and will quickly pipe down.
Indeed, It's no different to when someone first becomes a manager having previously just been one of the staff, only to realize the gig isn't quite as simplistic & straightforward as they'd thought.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Burgey is right of course, and it's always been my opinion. I was surprised by a recent infraction I got as I was clearly replying to a troll post, but in the end there's possibly dozens of times I wasn't infracted when i deserved it.

So I'm definitely in credit.

I find it very hard to imagine why people want to mod, so just hope they're all doing it to keep sites they love running, but ****if I could be arsed to be so selfless.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I agree with copping decisions you get over here. I dont think the purpose of a group discussion on moderation practices is to get mods to reverse their decisions, but just to understand where they are coming from, and to offer our views on the matter so they can understand what we think too. That way we don't litter other threads with snide remarks about who should be banned and who shouldn't and all that nonsense.

cnerd123

likes this
Like honestly i'm stunned I just got 5 infraction points for creating a whole thread and going on a massive rant essentially as a witch hunt against one member

That **** ain't right

Last edited:

Zinzan

Like honestly i'm stunned I just got 5 infraction points for creating a whole thread and going on a massive rant essentially against a witch hunt against one member

That **** ain't right
Lol Mate, It'll all be okay. Just play by the rules, keep debating posts & not posters, and you'll be fine... It's really not that difficult.

You've clarified your reasons for wanting the discussion thread very clearly now, & to some of us it really does seem a bit of a storm in a tea-cup, in that there's really not a problem. It's a great forum, but it will never be perfect regardless of how much you want to dissect things.

Just get on, enjoy the cricket discussion & ignore those who upset you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.