• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Rise to Number 1

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, in particular Amir could have a really rough time - he's not exactly a tall bowler and his pitch-it-up swing could be cannon fodder much in the way that Boult's was. Similarly, Yasir doesn't really seem to use bounce to get his wickets.

Wahab should go all right. Maybe Rahat? He's bloody inconsistent though and can't field for ****.
Boult was cannon fodder because he bowled absolute rubbish, not because he's a pitch it up swing bowler.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
A Pakistani news anchor discussing the Test team ranking asked the question "yeah Pakistan's number 1 but what's the point in being number 1 in a format the youth doesn't care about?"

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would probably help too if they solve that minor issue of having to cross the Persian Gulf to attend home games.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, there is a small but insignificant group of people who do start caring about tests if your team becomes #1. Happened with India too.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Maybe some will start caring about it since Pakistan are number 1 now? Probably wishful thinking.
I have a whatsapp group for my A level class there are in all 35 of us in that group during the T-20 WC the group was unbearable slogans ,chanting **** cricket experts giving their comments my school crush continuously posting her and her 9 yr old son picture wearing a boom boo Afridi shirt. .But during the test series with England its only me and couple of other guys who are active while rest are not even aware that any cricket involving Pakistan is taking place.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pink ball test is the key to our Aus tour. If Aus wins it first up then its 3-0 easy however I believe we can challenge them because Australia can be vulnerable when it moves about would have preferred if we got the Adelaide pink ball test rather then Gabba.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a whatsapp group for my A level class there are in all 35 of us in that group during the T-20 WC the group was unbearable slogans ,chanting **** cricket experts giving their comments my school crush continuously posting her and her 9 yr old son picture wearing a boom boo Afridi shirt. .But during the test series with England its only me and couple of other guys who are active while rest are not even aware that any cricket involving Pakistan is taking place.
Looks like you dodged a bullet.

The thing is, in the subcontinent, the casual fans will start jumping or rather dancing during the World Cup because everyone around them is doing it..kind of like how everyone becomes a Brazil or Argentina fan during the football World Cup and starts debating about Messi vs Ronaldo.

But I do feel that the new anchor was wrong. That statement could very well have been said about the Australian team or New Zealand team or South African. The situation isn't that different but it's the mindset of news anchors like that or commentators like Ramiz who give that more importance than it deserves and starts using that as a yardstick to make analysis.
Ramiz kept saying during the 1st test how YK or Misbah are no longer 'regulars' in international cricket anymore on account of playing just 1 format. Anderson, Broad, Cook all play just 1 format - have never heard a single English commentator ever refer to them as 'non regular international cricketers'. He stopped saying it afterwards when he realized the English commentators were ignoring it.

Most British and Australian people I have met are not into cricket, don't care about the Ashes. The Aussies at least knew what Ashes was but the Brits I met from Liverpool were like "WTF is Ashes?" That does not mean that an Ashes win is not a tremendous achievement.

This is why dumb news anchors or dumb commentators when talking about these things should not make senseless points like that, because yes maybe people don't care but you're getting paid to talk about this..so you better do it in an appropriate way.

Pink ball test is the key to our Aus tour. If Aus wins it first up then its 3-0 easy however I believe we can challenge them because Australia can be vulnerable when it moves about would have preferred if we got the Adelaide pink ball test rather then Gabba.
You know I have stopped worrying about 'if they lose the first test, it's over' with this team. I know that is exactly how almost every Pakistan test side has been, where they would disintegrate and fall apart after a crushing defeat but this team is probably the strongest Pakistan team I have seen when it comes to bouncing back. Very few Pakistan sides would have come back from that Old Trafford test the way this team did. I am not saying they will win the series, they could very well lose 0-3 but it won't be because they lost the 1st test and fell apart. It would be because they were out-skilled.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like you dodged a bullet.

The thing is, in the subcontinent, the casual fans will start jumping or rather dancing during the World Cup because everyone around them is doing it..kind of like how everyone becomes a Brazil or Argentina fan during the football World Cup and starts debating about Messi vs Ronaldo.

But I do feel that the new anchor was wrong. That statement could very well have been said about the Australian team or New Zealand team or South African. The situation isn't that different but it's the mindset of news anchors like that or commentators like Ramiz who give that more importance than it deserves and starts using that as a yardstick to make analysis.
Ramiz kept saying during the 1st test how YK or Misbah are no longer 'regulars' in international cricket anymore on account of playing just 1 format. Anderson, Broad, Cook all play just 1 format - have never heard a single English commentator ever refer to them as 'non regular international cricketers'. He stopped saying it afterwards when he realized the English commentators were ignoring it.

Most British and Australian people I have met are not into cricket, don't care about the Ashes. The Aussies at least knew what Ashes was but the Brits I met from Liverpool were like "WTF is Ashes?" That does not mean that an Ashes win is not a tremendous achievement.

This is why dumb news anchors or dumb commentators when talking about these things should not make senseless points like that, because yes maybe people don't care but you're getting paid to talk about this..so you better do it in an appropriate way.

You know I have stopped worrying about 'if they lose the first test, it's over' with this team. I know that is exactly how almost every Pakistan test side has been, where they would disintegrate and fall apart after a crushing defeat but this team is probably the strongest Pakistan team I have seen when it comes to bouncing back. Very few Pakistan sides would have come back from that Old Trafford test the way this team did. I am not saying they will win the series, they could very well lose 0-3 but it won't be because they lost the 1st test and fell apart. It would be because they were out-skilled.
I fully agree with the general point you made but I'm surprised that you've come across many Brits who don't know anything about Ashes. All the Brits I know care for the Ashes to some extent at least.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, that's rubbish.

Of course cricket is a fairly minority sport in England and only a small % of the population have any interest in it........but everyone would know what the Ashes is all about, and when it's on they would know it's on just because of the coverage in the media. I honestly think only some strange hermit you may have bumped into would ever say "WTF is the Ashes?"

As for the Aussies, the summer of cricket here is still a big deal and I'd say a fair chunk of the population would have at least some interest in it. It's still on FTA TV in Aus and that is a huge factor in maintaining this interest.......but even those that wouldn't sit down and watch cricket on TV would know the cricket is on and most would know if the Aussies are winning or losing at least.

And when it comes to the Ashes, trust me they all know if the Aussies are giving the Poms a touch up. As an Englishman living here for 20 years I cop **** daily from just about everyone when England's here and getting thumped!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Comparing a Test series to a World Cup is daft. Of course a World Cup is going to draw in more casual fans.

If the same people are spamming your group chat with Pakistan Zinzabad when there's a random T20 series, then sure.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course cricket is a fairly minority sport in England and only a small % of the population have any interest in it........but everyone would know what the Ashes is all about, and when it's on they would know it's on just because of the coverage in the media. I honestly think only some strange hermit you may have bumped into would ever say "WTF is the Ashes?"
This is always the sort of thing that's impossible to gauge on a personal level. At different parts of my life I've been surrounded by people who are certainly aware of the Ashes, or even really into watching it, and at other times I'll be the only person in a group who even remotely likes cricket. Some of those might be aware of what the Ashes is specifically but many others will either know it as just some cricket thing or have no clue about it at all. It might surprise you just how many people manage to completely avoid sports media to the extent that the only thing they can name about any sport is David Beckham.