• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clatterbug to referee the Final

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to start the official Final thread and put this there. But I think news of this magnitude deserves its own thread.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How has that cluster**** of ineptitude managed to get the FA Cup, Champions League and European Championship finals in 2 months?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nice. France being in the final means I at least get second prize in the work sweepstakes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What the ****, he's an appalling ref.

Although he surely can't do a worse job than Howard Webb.

Uppercut

If France and Portugal were watching the Chelsea-Spurs game we could be in for a violent night.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't entirely blame Howard Webb as his performance was sullied by the unexpected thuggery of the Dutch team. I do however believe that our referees are favoured out of sympathy to make us believe we still contribute to worldwide football.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't entirely blame Howard Webb as his performance was sullied by the unexpected thuggery of the Dutch team. I do however believe that our referees are favoured out of sympathy to make us believe we still contribute to worldwide football.
He could have sent them off. The lack of control Howard had was because he bottled doing his job.

Uppercut

Webb is the epitome of bravery compared to Wee-Balls Clattenburg. Webb only bottled 1-3 sendings off in that game, Clattenburg bottled 4 minimum in the Spurs match.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ref did okay. It's amazing how competent a referee can look when players aren't diving all over the place, feigning injury and trying to get each other sent off.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Refereeing was good throughout the tournament I thought. Except for some questionable application of stoppage time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He still allowed Portugal to waste so much time in extra time. When he booked the keeper he took about 40 seconds to take a free kick yet he only allowed 10 seconds more play before blowing for full time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's been a theme throughout. Whatever has gone up on the board seems to have been played regardless of events during injury time. Makes me think there was some sort of directive around it, which is odd.

But other than that, the officiating has been excellent.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's been a theme throughout. Whatever has gone up on the board seems to have been played regardless of events during injury time. Makes me think there was some sort of directive around it, which is odd.

But other than that, the officiating has been excellent.
Yes, so many substitutions and goals in stoppage time, which they're supposed to add another 30 seconds for and the whistle has gone on the dot of the originally allotted stoppage time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think the referee should be given discretion to stop the clock for substitutions and injuries, and when opposition teams start blatantly wasting time by taking over a minute to get the ball into play when it goes out.