• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Lol at cheating. It probably not out but even after watching several times I am not certain it pitched outside leg, particularly with bad camera angle. There have certainly been much worse decisions than that from neutral umpires, even with DRS.
It was blatant cheating. It was a marginal call at best (and that is flattering it) and he didn't even stop to pause and consider it. That was the fastest LBW decision I have seen in a while. In today's game they pause for anywhere between 1-3 seconds before raising the finger. This guy looked like he was applying for job as the quickest draw in the west in a western movie.

BLATANT CHEATING.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^If you want a more sophisticated pop psychology answer for the above - then I would venture that it fits my chosen world view to believe that the umpire is a cheat. And brings me cognitive satisfaction to hold this view. Therefore I choose to believe he is a cheat. If you choose to believe he is a fair dinkum straight shooter that is your call. You might like to listen to the commentary which reminded viewers that Hadlee himself had been unable to obtain many LB judgements in his favour while bowling during that particular tour, but again your view is just as likely to be right as my one is. But I am entitled to my view,

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
"Our main finding," declared Messrs Sacheti, Paton and Gregory-Smith, "is that home bias has influenced umpires in Test matches in the last two and a half decades but has receded with the introduction of neutral umpires. With two home umpires, home teams received significantly fewer adverse lbw decisions than did away teams. This advantage significantly declined with the introduction of the one-neutral-umpire policy and has declined further with the introduction of the two-neutral-umpires policy."

"Home bias in officiating: evidence from international cricket". Wading through 1000 Test scorecards and live online commentaries from 1986 to 2012 - pre- and post-neutral umpires, pre- and post-DRS - our economists also focused on leg-before verdicts.
Rob Steen: Non-neutral umpires? No thanks | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Debris

International 12th Man
It was blatant cheating. It was a marginal call at best (and that is flattering it) and he didn't even stop to pause and consider it. That was the fastest LBW decision I have seen in a while. In today's game they pause for anywhere between 1-3 seconds before raising the finger. This guy looked like he was applying for job as the quickest draw in the west in a western movie.

BLATANT CHEATING.
You might want to look at the first LBW decision in this video then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWJw0Vkj7Xs

I mean it couldn't possibly be the style of certain umpires in the past to give decisions quickly on the (incorrect) theory that the first impression was the best one. It must be cheating. I mean it is right there in capital letters. Everything typed in capital letters is true.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You might want to look at the first LBW decision in this video then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWJw0Vkj7Xs

I mean it couldn't possibly be the style of certain umpires in the past to give decisions quickly on the (incorrect) theory that the first impression was the best one. It must be cheating. I mean it is right there in capital letters. Everything typed in capital letters is true.
I like your evidence. I am willing to withdraw my point about how quickly he made the decision. However see my post above yours. Home team bias has been scientifically proven to exist when teams used home town umpires. Whether umpire French (I assume it was him he was usually at the bottom of most untoward things) fired hadlee on purpose or not is probably irrelevant. The fact is he did fire him when he blatantly wasn't out and he probably wouldn't have fired him had Hadlee been Australian and Chappell a Kiwi bowling the same delivery (and I am saying that on the basis of the scientific study that more visiting batsman got sawn off than home town batsman).

Look I am surprised anyone is taking me to task over something from 25 years ago. I thought it was well accepted that the days of home town umpires were terrible and that everyone acknowledged it. New Zealand were no saints either. We had "Fire them first ask questions later" Fred Goodall pumping up Hadlee's numbers at home. I certainly would not have fancied my chances against Paddles at the Basin with it doing a little bit.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kiwi posters still upset in this thread about how poorly their side performed be like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutS7C7WQSc
Lol, I think we may officially be at the stage where there's more comments about kiwis being upset than there's actually kiwis being upset. I think that's about the 5th time you alone have you've said something to that effect in the last few pages Burgs :p

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would like to make it clear that I am officially not upset and have not been for a while. Slightly perturbed about the service I received in a cafe earlier where one meal arrived a full 25 minutes after the other meal ordered, and then some toast for the sprog arrived 5 minutes after that, but I am no longer upset.

However, I think there was some blatant cheating from the kitchen staff. If I had been from the stately town of Carterton, mark my words they would have brought me out my eggs benedict at an appropriate time. This travesty of service only befell me due to hailing from a different town.

Despite this observation, I am not upset.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking about my own emotions today. I am not bitter about the tests, but I am still dissapointed about the ODI world cup. I coveted that trophy and have done so for my whole life. Watching and willing Brendon to take it easy in the first over against a fire breathing Mitchell Starc and then crushingly watching him get clean bowled is a dissapointment I have still not dealt with.

It was the iconic moment in the match and perhaps of New Zealand's ODI history in totality. With Grant Elliot's six in the semi final in second place.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As for my posts in the last two pages, I don't believe they show any sort of anger, I just detected that the thread was dieing out and with it my opportunities to put the boot into the Aussies would dissapear for the next 2-3 years so I had to make hay while the sun still lingered. I was delighted I got any reaction.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I would like to make it clear that I am officially not upset and have not been for a while. Slightly perturbed about the service I received in a cafe earlier where one meal arrived a full 25 minutes after the other meal ordered, and then some toast for the sprog arrived 5 minutes after that, but I am no longer upset.

However, I think there was some blatant cheating from the kitchen staff. If I had been from the stately town of Carterton, mark my words they would have brought me out my eggs benedict at an appropriate time. This travesty of service only befell me due to hailing from a different town.

Despite this observation, I am not upset.
I'm here for you if you need a shoulder

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I was thinking about my own emotions today. I am not bitter about the tests, but I am still dissapointed about the ODI world cup. I coveted that trophy and have done so for my whole life. Watching and willing Brendon to take it easy in the first over against a fire breathing Mitchell Starc and then crushingly watching him get clean bowled is a dissapointment I have still not dealt with.

It was the iconic moment in the match and perhaps of New Zealand's ODI history in totality. With Grant Elliot's six in the semi final in second place.
I can't say that bothers me, but the collapse from 150/3 after 35 overs still wakes me up screaming in a cold sweat from time to time.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf that delivery is up there with some of the most memorable ones in LO cricket.

#1 is Misbah paddling a Joginder pie to fine leg.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I can't say that bothers me, but the collapse from 150/3 after 35 overs still wakes me up screaming in a cold sweat from time to time.
I was gutted about the game. And my mood dropped into a state neighbouring depression for the next 48 hours. That is not an exaggeration or hyperbole. I don't suffer from mood disorders or depression by the way and regard myself as a self starter and try to be a positive person. I was also upset at the blackcaps for being in a bouyant mood (signing autographs etc) the day after the loss and I read that as a sign that they weren't overly emotionally invested in the match and as such had not tried their hardest.

McCullum's wicket was the whole match. I am happy to debate that in a thread if you want to discuss it as it something that comes up here on and off. Usually it is me and one or two other people who think it was Baz's wicket vs all of CW who thinks we lost it at 150/3.

Flem274*

123/5
don't know why people are surprised. a sour old whinger accusing every other nation of being sour whingers has been a cw meme for a few years.

i blame jono. burgey badly needs that steak.