• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ironic the media beat-up on the Chris Gayle thing (not that I disagree Gayle was a dick) was so massively overplayed, yet there's supposed ambiguity about what Haze did and it's instead it's just called 'cultural differences'. We both know nobody would have accepted a claim of 'cultural differences' around what Gayle said/implies, and rightfully so.
No one actually cares about what Gayle did. Sometimes media are **** ****s. He didn't do anything wrong and anyone who thinks he did is a **** ****

It's not even a remotely related issue, no idea why you brought it up at all.

Zinzan

You are the one who needed to dechipher and use code-breakers, I just went on what he actually said, you are going on about what he meant/implied.
I've stated what I think was meant, and without the help of John Nash, What exactly are you suggesting? That he was merely interested in knowing his name?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
99% of the controversy surrounding Australian cricketers for "sledging" or "behaviour", "aggression" etc. is just a result of misunderstood cultural differences

not saying that excuses anything but it tends to get overlooked and people assume it's some "toxic culture" in the National team or disrespect for opponents or something ridiculous
I generally have found with all sincerity that Australian club cricket teams I have played against can dish it out plenty, but hide behind the umpire's skirts when a return of serve is made.

They don't like it when it comes back so why dish it out?

I may be misreading your point - I am picking up on you saying that sledging is just a cultural misunderstanding.

TheJediBrah

I generally have found with all sincerity that Australian club cricket teams I have played against can dish it out plenty, but hide behind the umpire's skirts when a return of serve is made.

They don't like it when it comes back so why dish it out?

I may be misreading your point - I am picking up on you saying that sledging is just a cultural misunderstanding.
never seen or heard this happen anywhere in local/grade cricket

Umpire's are generally ****ing useless anyway

Zinzan

No one actually cares about what Gayle did. Sometimes media are **** ****s. He didn't do anything wrong and anyone who thinks he did is a **** ****

It's not even a remotely related issue, no idea why you brought it up at all.
Because you brought up cultural differences, as if Australian's miss subtlety and can't see through ambiguity when it comes to offense/abuse, hence why I said it's ironic. Anyway, we're going in circles now.

If you want to seriously suggest that's equivalent to some of the most polite things you'd hear on a local Australian cricket field which is what you said then there's little point trying to convince you how absurd that is.

So we'll leave it there shall we...

TNT

Banned
I've stated what I think was meant, and without the help of John Nash, What exactly are you suggesting? That he was merely interested in knowing his name?
Its a total non issue, bottom end of the scale, 15% fine and gone into the anals of this season, end of.

Zinzan

Its a total non issue, bottom end of the scale, 15% fine and gone into the anals of this season, end of.
Yeah didn't think you'd answer and instead downplay it and gloss over it.... that's cool.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't mind a "if you can't beat them, join them" from NZ tbh.

The Australian side since the 70s have always been hypocritical thugs who are brilliant pop-psychologists with the whole "berate and bomb them on the field, thrash them then go be all nice and friendly and walk into the oppo changing sheds for beerz" thing. I reckon it would have a great psychological hold on some opposition teams over the years to be blunt.

We owe McCullum a lot for making the NZ team inconsistently genius rather than consistently terrible, and instilling a refusal to die in the side (even if it disappeared after Sharjah), but comments like "be authentic to your nation >humblellittlekiwissterotypelist<" are a bit hard to swallow as a rather confrontational grump who isn't half the man Baz is.

New Zealand have spent 90% of their cricketing history losing, then being all nice afterwards. Sound like this summer?

What I'm saying is, rather than moaning about Australians after being walloped by them, why not just unleash the hate on the park for an experiment? Overstep the line and bully umpires. Slip in a few beamers. Make Kyle Mills the new sports psychologist. Get Corey Anderson to give Ian Healy swirlies in the MCG toilets while commenting on how big the dunny bowls are. Have a beer with Healy afterwards.

Zinzan

The Australian side since the 70s have always been hypocritical thugs who are brilliant pop-psychologists with the whole "berate and bomb them on the field, thrash them then go be all nice and friendly and walk into the oppo changing sheds for beerz" thing. I reckon it would have a great psychological hold on some opposition teams over the years to be blunt.

We owe McCullum a lot for making the NZ team inconsistently genius rather than consistently terrible, and instilling a refusal to die in the side (even if it disappeared after Sharjah), but comments like "be authentic to your nation >humblellittlekiwissterotypelist<" are a bit hard to swallow as a rather confrontational grump who isn't half the man Baz is.

New Zealand have spent 90% of their cricketing history losing, then being all nice afterwards. Sound like this summer?

What I'm saying is, rather than moaning about Australians after being walloped by them, why not just unleash the hate on the park for an experiment? Overstep the line and bully umpires. Slip in a few beamers. Make Kyle Mills the new sports psychologist. Get Corey Anderson to give Ian Healy swirlies in the MCG toilets while commenting on how big the dunny bowls are. Have a beer with Healy afterwards.....throw one down lawn-bowls style and claim a catch after it hits the turf hoping nobody noticed
Fixed

Last edited:

TNT

Banned

What I'm saying is, rather than moaning about Australians after being walloped by them, why not just unleash the hate on the park for an experiment? Overstep the line and bully umpires. Slip in a few beamers. Make Kyle Mills the new sports psychologist. Get Corey Anderson to give Ian Healy swirlies in the MCG toilets while commenting on how big the dunny bowls are. Have a beer with Healy afterwards.
You make it sound like the NZ cricketers haven't already tried that.

Zinzan

I told you earlier I'm not trying to change your mind, I' m OK with you having a different point of view on this issue.
Lol of course you are given you're take is the outrageous and frankly dishonest one. Of course you're 'OK' with my view.

TheJediBrah

Because you brought up cultural differences, as if Australian's miss subtlety and can't see through ambiguity when it comes to offense/abuse, hence why I said it's ironic. Anyway, we're going in circles now.
huh? The chris gayle thing had nothing to do with cultural differences, it was some weird feminist/media attack. Still not seeing how it's ironic.

If you want to seriously suggest that's equivalent to some of the most polite things you'd hear on a local Australian cricket field which is what you said then there's little point trying to convince you how absurd that is.
Don't know what to say to this. If you think it isn't then that's just incredible ignorance. And ignorance is fine as long as you recognise it.

Whether or not it's "absurd" is an entirely different issue. That's just how it often is.

TheJediBrah

couldn't display my point any more clearly. Here you have a non-Australian, thinking it's "hypocritical" for players to be cutthroat enemies on the field and best of mates off the field, when that's just the way it is in even in club cricket.

Cultural differences.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
couldn't display my point any more clearly. Here you have a non-Australian, thinking it's "hypocritical" for players to be cutthroat enemies on the field and best of mates off the field, when that's just the way it is in even in club cricket.

Cultural differences.
Will pay out that example,

However the point stands that other teams shouldn't agree to have beers with the Aussies. IMHO.

Zinzan

huh? The chris gayle thing had nothing to do with cultural differences, it was some weird feminist/media attack. Still not seeing how it's ironic.
That reaction wasn't just a few in the media though...I suggest you start by re-visiting the thread on here if you think it was regardless of what your personal view was with regards Gayle.

Don't know what to say to this. If you think it isn't then that's just incredible ignorance. And ignorance is fine as long as you recognise it.

Whether or not it's "absurd" is an entirely different issue. That's just how it often is.
I genuinely don't think your culture is quite as ****-up as you're trying to imply with that comment. We know Aussies can be brash, but you're taking it to the extreme claiming "who the *** is the 3rd ump" is polite.