• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He has mellowed since the death of Hughes tbf, but obviously the years prior to that of being an utter **** is still deep in the memory of some.
Warner's been pretty great this season. At the Welly ODI, there was a show during a drinks break where a little girl had to trun across the field grab a set of stumps and run back in 30 seconds to win a blackcaps supporters pack. Warner cheered her all the way.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner's been pretty great this season. At the Welly ODI, there was a show during a drinks break where a little girl had to trun across the field grab a set of stumps and run back in 30 seconds to win a blackcaps supporters pack. Warner cheered her all the way.
Yeah I think we're all in agreement that his behaviour has improved in the last year or so.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
His auto biography
However there was something about the words he used to deny it along with some other overly defferential stories about Australian opposition players and in fact anyone he had come up against that it ocurred to me that one objective of his book was to be remembered fondly and it occured to me in that context that he might be lieing to protect the aussies.

TNT

Banned
However there was something about the words he used to deny it along with some other overly defferential stories about Australian opposition players and in fact anyone he had come up against that it ocurred to me that one objective of his book was to be remembered fondly and it occured to me in that context that he might be lieing to protect the aussies.
That is one way to look at it, I don't think it happened because if it did I think that Waugh would have been taken to hospital with bat wounds.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
By the way an example of a deferential story is as follows:

"The Australians were never OTT. I remember once Brett Lee didn't release one correctly, it so happened that it came through at head height and I hooked it for six. The next one was fast and furious and naturally I couldn't hook it so I ducked. Brett walked up to me and said "Try hooking that one champ".

Anyway just to me it appeared from the tone of many of his stories thart he was trying to score friendship points.

TNT

Banned

"The Australians were never OTT. I remember once Brett Lee didn't release one correctly, it so happened that it came through at head height and I hooked it for six. The next one was fast and furious and naturally I couldn't hook it so I ducked. Brett walked up to me and said "Try hooking that one champ".

Anyway just to me it appeared from the tone of many of his stories thart he was trying to score friendship points.
Sorry but I cant see how this story points to Cairns trying to score friendship points.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry but I cant see how this story points to Cairns trying to score friendship points.
That is ok we are different posters. I happen to analyse small things and cues both in real life and in books. I won't quote my MBTI profile or Dan will laugh at me.
Some examples of being overly deferential are "Champ" do we really believe that Brett Lee said champ instead of **** or ****
Also "the Australians were never OTT". Really seriously? Who are you trying to fool. Maybe my lip reading skills don't work very well then Chris.

Also the whole thing about being overly humble and the obvious suck up to Lee - "the ball didn't come out of his hand properly and that was the only reason I was able to hit it for six." And the part about "naturally I ducked when he bowled me a proper one".

That is my take anyway. I am happy to disagree if you see nothing wrong in it.

TheJediBrah

you can't possibly actually think this, surely

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
you can't possibly actually think this, surely
It definitely occured to me but I didn't conclude either way. How could anyone conclude anything when you are reading between the lines. Just guess work and hypothesising.

. Stephen Fleming as well went out of his way not to stir up any hornets nests with the Australians over sledging in his autobiography. I found some of Stephen's comments to be disingenuous as well.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am not going to go back and forth over it anymore. If I wasn't clear in my first post I will be clear now, my tentative theory is pure speculation.

TNT

Banned
It definitely occured to me but I didn't conclude either way. How could anyone conclude anything when you are reading between the lines. Just guess work and hypothesising.

. Stephen Fleming as well went out of his way not to stir up any hornets nests with the Australians over sledging in his autobiography. I found some of Stephen's comments to be disingenuous as well.
Would have nothing to do with the fact that incidents get blown way out of proportion by fans on social media.

And I will give you an example, Hazelwood said "who's the ****ing third umpire" referring to the media's control over the replays. This will now go down in folklore as Hazelwood abusing the third umpire. I don't wish to argue that point but just to let you know how thing fans think happen are totally different to what happens.

I understand every single person believes that Hazelwood was abusing the umpire so I don't need to be told OK, just let it go.

Zinzan

Would have nothing to do with the fact that incidents get blown way out of proportion by fans on social media.

And I will give you an example, Hazelwood said "who's the ****ing third umpire" referring to the media's control over the replays. This will now go down in folklore as Hazelwood abusing the third umpire. I don't wish to argue that point but just to let you know how thing fans think happen are totally different to what happens.

I understand every single person believes that Hazelwood was abusing the umpire so I don't need to be told OK, just let it go.
Lol I think I get your point, but that Hazel example is a diabolical one. How is saying "who's the ****ing third umpire"? in that context not abuse of the 3rd ump?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol I think I get your point, but that Hazel example is a diabolical one. How is saying "who's the ****ing third umpire"? in that context not abuse of the 3rd ump?
Let not kid ourselves here, he got fined for swearing on television and jack all else.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's not kid ourselves that he wasn't implying the '3rd ump is a ****'
No, he did not do that. He inquired who the 3rd umpire was as he was curious who made what he perceived to be an erroneous decision, in the process delivering a word that makes peoples ears ring.

Don't you ever speak for an Australian cricketer or claim to know their motives based on nothing ever again.