• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris and Mitchell Starc all rallied in support of Hazlewood, not so much in defence of what he said but his right to express it in the privacy of his workplace without a world full of eaves-droppers performing a 21st Century ‘glass against the wall’ routine.

Lol, chap chooses to be a professional sportsman or in other words an 'entertainer'. The whole reason he earns money is because his job isn't private. Never heard such bollocks.

TNT

Banned
Sure, I mean I wouldn't want you guys to forget that 6 months ago you got tore apart in conditions that didn't suit you by a bowler who took 8 for 15 against you... Because Australia #1!!!

English passport means I enjoyed that equally as I've enjoyed Wagner bombing out your batsmen in this match too.
I had a feeling you were carrying the pain of a five nil.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd love to see someone like a Clarke actually come out and at the risk of his ex team mates not liking it, basically call them to account for the fact that the things they spoke about wanting to bring back into the game have not been evident in the way they've acted in this series.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Tough day by the sounds. Was too busy to see much more than 4-5 overs. Decent fight by NZ in the 2nd innings, but if we're honest it's just a different game when Aust bowl to our batsmen than vice versa. The number of chances they seem to create never keeps them far away from a wicket, whereas sadly it's been tough to know where the next wicket is even going to come from when NZ are bowling (with the exception of the crazy blue-eyed boy). Just utterly outclassed it seems.

Expect Australia to finish it off before lunch with no more than 2 down tomorrow.

Even as one of the more pessimistic (realistic - I like to think) NZ posters who felt Australia would probably be too to strong in the home and away test series this season, I didn't expect the gap between the sides to be quite this wide. I actually thought both series would be fairly close with Australia winning a few pressure moments to take it out marginally, but it's actually been quite a hammering (with the exception of Adelaide). 4 tests to nil assuming Aust get up tomorrow, and comprehensively so.
It's a bit sad that McCullum's reign ends this way, but it's a sign that the side is/was by no means the finished article and should not rest easy on the back of a couple of good years. If NZ had somehow won the Adelaide test (or even this one), a 1-1- draw in either series would frankly be papering over the cracks. As another poster mentioned earlier, there seems to be a phenomenal amount of goodwill from the public now as reflected in the crowds at the tests and ODI's on this tour. Hesson and co should really be conscious of this and the standards that will be expected of them.

Australia IMO are very good but not unbeatable, still there is quite a gap for sure between the two sides. Just as NZ have regressed in certain ways in the last 12 months (batsmen too often in one day mode, bowlers often lacking in fitness/discipline/penetration) Australia have covered a lot of ground after all those retirements.

OverratedSanity

Regulations not enshrined by the game’s governing body, the International Cricket Council, but loosely contained in a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between the players and umpires in the middle, and the conduits to eyes and ears worldwide. The understanding upon which that shaky deal is founded is that the microphones will remain open from the time a bowler begins his run-up to when the ball is deemed dead – either by coming to rest with the wicketkeeper, knocked to a fielder or crunched to the boundary. Events that take place outside those definitive moments are fair game for the fleets of cameras positioned at every viable vantage point around, above and within the playing field, but what is said between combatants remains privileged. The problem, increasingly, is that’s precisely what the folks who are forking out their hard earned for pay media subscriptions – along with those enjoying it via free-to-air television and radio – want to be privy to.
A breach of trust, an unfair intrusion, an imposition that most others don’t face in the workplace when engaging in robust discussions or confidential sessions in the eyes of current and former players.
Holy **** the amount of bile in this article. "Who's the ****ing third umpire?" and "Get ready for a broken ****ing arm" are apparently part if this bull**** 'sacred' code that what happens on the field should stay on the field. :laugh:

For guys who act all tough and mean on the pitch, fast bowlers can be some of the most defensive ****s on earth. The mic is definitely the problem. It's definitely not that they mouth off and behave like little children when things don't go their way. What a bunch of babies. I'd respect them a lot more if they just continued running their mouths instead of complaining that their ****ty behavior is aired live.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Holy **** the amount of bile in this article. "Who's the ****ing third umpire?" and "Get ready for a broken ****ing arm" are apparently part if this bull**** 'sacred' code that what happens on the field should stay on the field. :laugh:

For guys who act all tough and mean on the pitch, fast bowlers can be some of the most defensive ****s on earth. The mic is definitely the problem. It's definitely not that they mouth off and behave like little children when things don't go their way. What a bunch of babies. I'd respect them a lot more if they just continued running their mouths instead of complaining that their ****ty behavior is aired live.
Don't bring that into it, that was hilarious and well deserved with the pathetic way Jimmy Anderson was behaving.

Spikey

what happens on field stays on field is a classic australian sporting thing that all athletes basically obey and is also the biggest load of crap in the world

TheJediBrah

The lack of penetration in our bowling unit, and the sheer stupidity that allowed us to gift 10 wickets to Nathan Lyon in absolutely dire ways made the gap much larger than it should have been. The ability that the Voges and Khawaja's had to go and make big runs across the two series was huge for the Australians, as no one outside of Ross Taylor was able to do that for NZ and he didn't get to play the last two matches

The sides are much closer than the score line suggests in actual talent, but the application and mental aptitude of the Australians is just much better than NZ, always has been.
They've been clueless, they turn up, hope the ball moves in the air and when it doesn't, both of them just bowl utter tosh because neither have the patience to execute a plan. But I'd also say our batsmen have performed just as badly across the series too, too many starts, not enough big daddy centuries to put pressure on the Australians and no ability to apply themselves against what is a pretty good, but not great bowling unit from Aus.

Patto is the only great bowler they've had this series, the others are just serviceable, despite how desperate the Australian posters are to tell us otherwise. The Australian batting unit is just depressingly like every other Australian batting unit, once they're in and they're on easy to bat on wickets, they just don't get themselves out.
Not sure if you watched the games or not, but if you actually look at the dismissals it's been overwhelmingly the Australian batsmen who have thrown their wickets away (eg. caught in the field) than the Kiwis, who have largely been dismissed by good bowling (caught in the cordon, bowleds etc.) iirc

So basically the opposite of what you're saying tbh

Moss

Aside from all the defensiveness on one side and the holier-than-thou rants on the other (I suppose I can be included in the latter camp), here's another thought: as a cricket follower/viewer, this just ruins the game for me as a viewing experience. Whether it's Hazlewood or Kohli or Stuart Broad or whoever, I would rather not have my cricket punctuated so much by all this and the ensuing debate. It becomes tiresome.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, I understand the odd expletive and what not. These guys are highly competitive and sometimes things get a little heated. But approaching the umpire and attacking officials is just way too far.

TheJediBrah

Aside from all the defensiveness on one side and the holier-than-thou rants on the other (I suppose I can be included in the latter camp), here's another thought: as a cricket follower/viewer, this just ruins the game for me as a viewing experience. Whether it's Hazlewood or Kohli or Stuart Broad or whoever, I would rather not have my cricket punctuated so much by all this and the ensuing debate. It becomes tiresome.
I honestly don't get what the big deal is most of the time. People are hypersensitive in this day & age IMO.

Obviously abusing the umpire is never acceptable though.

Moss

I honestly don't get what the big deal is most of the time. People are hypersensitive in this day & age IMO.

Obviously abusing the umpire is never acceptable though.
I can be a bit of a stick-in-the-mud about this, I accept. My feeling is players grow to think it's legit to abuse the umpire, precisely as a result of officials doing absolutely nothing about seemingly lesser transgressions. In other words, the "line" you draw keeps shifting.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Is it because I'm Australian or is there a bit of an overreaction to that incident? Or am I wrong? I'm okay with being wrong.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am a fan of Hazlewood's bowling. But he needs to get banned for at least one match in this case. Abusing umpires on the field is a no-no.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem here is words, as such...

I say we ban the use of any verbal communication in cricket. How else are humans, or in this case cricketers supposed to advance to telepathy and higher planes of human existence if we keep using primitive forms of communication?

TheJediBrah

I am a fan of Hazlewood's bowling. But he needs to get banned for at least one match in this case. Abusing umpires on the field is a no-no.
I agree. He needs a rest anyway. Kid's been bowling his heart out and will probably just get injured.

Spark

Global Moderator
Did Haze say something else that hasn't been mentioned? Because I don't see how "who's the ****ing 3rd umpire" is abuse. Dissent, absolutely, and he should cop a whack for the language as well, but it's not like he said "the 3rd umpire is a **** ****".

Smith needs a word in his ear though. Already getting a rep, which is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
cricket.com.au @CricketAus
JUST IN: The @ICC has fined Josh Hazlewood 15 per cent of his match fee after this incident #NZvAUS

I'm sure this won't be controversial at all.

Last edited: