• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Compton

International Debutant
FWIW I don't think the captain approaching the umpire should necessarily constitute dissent. If Smith was complaining that the third umpire didn't go through the process of a review then he probably had a point.

If he was moaning about the decision then tough titties.

Haze just blew a gasket. He'll get a fine and told to stop being a naughty bowler.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
FWIW I don't think the captain approaching the umpire should necessarily constitute dissent. If Smith was complaining that the third umpire didn't go through the process of a review then he probably had a point.

If he was moaning about the decision then tough titties.

Haze just blew a gasket. He'll get a fine and told to stop being a naughty bowler.
If you compare how McCullum, with a smile on his face and a small "Please explain?" style of conversation approaches the captain, compared to Smith who has a permanent scowl, starts finger pointing at the umpire, teapots and does it pretty consistently whenever the decision doesn't go his way, then you'll see the difference between "Captain having a word" and "Petulant person who looks like a 12 yr old, behaving like an 8 yr old while apparently leading his country"

And the Third Umpire went to the point where he ruled the dismissal out, when there was an inside edge on the ball that agreed with the onfield umpire call that it was not out. So there was no room for recourse. They both deserve a ban.

Compton

International Debutant
A ban :laugh:

Fine them both x% of their match fee and move on. There's no need for this to become a political incident that people compare every interaction between umpire and players to.

Haze lost his temper and should get his slap on the wallet for it. Smith is the captain and should carry himself with a little more class.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
A ban :laugh:

Fine them both x% of their match fee and move on. There's no need for this to become a political incident that people compare every interaction between umpire and players to.

Haze lost his temper and should get his slap on the wallet for it. Smith is the captain and should carry himself with a little more class.
Careful, Smilies aren't welcome here.

I think the sheer statement "Who the **** is the third umpire" is a little bit more than the usual dissent. I also think the match umpires painted themselves in a corner by allowing Smith to do this across the ODI and Test series to date. He has gotten progressively worse and this incident was the worst of the lot.

Smithers deserves a sit down. It's just pure trash and not great for the game.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Jord, I'm enjoying this teary as NZ walk their way towards yet another series loss against Australia

#Lostthetoss #Thanksfornumber1

Last edited:

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
And also considering every Australian cricketer I've seen react on Twitter, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Marsh, Mitchell Starc, Andrew Symonds, pretty much all downplay how bad that is and blame it solely on the pitch microphone and not the stupidity of the cricketer tells you Australian cricket has a major problem to clean in its back yard. Where as Clarke spoke about the spirit of cricket and the love of the game, Brendon McCullum actually lead his side to live those words and not just speak them.

The kids watching and reading their heroes Twitter feeds will now wonder why they get in trouble for swearing at the umpires.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Hey Jord, I'm enjoying this teary as NZ walk their way towards yet another series loss against Australia

#Lostthetoss #Thanksfornumber1
LOL, way to avoid the issue. I don't care that we're losing tomorrow, we lost the toss, we lost the match. But sure, ignore your petulant self righteous cricketers and wonder why the world thinks the Australian cricket team are a bunch of pricks and love celebrating when people like Broad rip you apart like mouldy cheese when you finally have to bat in conditions that aren't a road.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally think that there needs to be more thorough treatment of dissent in general. I haven't seen today's incident at all, so I am specifically not commenting on that, but I think you can basically get rid of this behaviour pretty much entirely by treating it seriously and penalising players more strongly. Fines make no difference in this day and age. A couple of well placed bans and the problem will go away.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tough day by the sounds. Was too busy to see much more than 4-5 overs. Decent fight by NZ in the 2nd innings, but if we're honest it's just a different game when Aust bowl to our batsmen than vice versa. The number of chances they seem to create never keeps them far away from a wicket, whereas sadly it's been tough to know where the next wicket is even going to come from when NZ are bowling (with the exception of the crazy blue-eyed boy). Just utterly outclassed it seems.

Expect Australia to finish it off before lunch with no more than 2 down tomorrow.

Even as one of the more pessimistic (realistic - I like to think) NZ posters who felt Australia would probably be too to strong in the home and away test series this season, I didn't expect the gap between the sides to be quite this wide. I actually thought both series would be fairly close with Australia winning a few pressure moments to take it out marginally, but it's actually been quite a hammering (with the exception of Adelaide). 4 tests to nil assuming Aust get up tomorrow, and comprehensively so.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
[video]http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/cricket/cricket/aussies-erupt-at-drs-decision!503971[/video]

There you go.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So good that you call these conditions a road when NZ haven't managed to pass 400.
I'm not sure that you have even been watching the match.
#2-0

Last edited:

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
The lack of penetration in our bowling unit, and the sheer stupidity that allowed us to gift 10 wickets to Nathan Lyon in absolutely dire ways made the gap much larger than it should have been. The ability that the Voges and Khawaja's had to go and make big runs across the two series was huge for the Australians, as no one outside of Ross Taylor was able to do that for NZ and he didn't get to play the last two matches

The sides are much closer than the score line suggests in actual talent, but the application and mental aptitude of the Australians is just much better than NZ, always has been.

Flem274*

123/5
you guys are ruining what is the end of a great era.

of course, i'm talking about the end of "Mc"s in the New Zealand test side. When New Zealand take the field against South Africa it is very likely it will be the first time in well over a decade that the team does not contain at least one player with "Mc" in their surname.

And what and end it was.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Well, NZ were 7-210 when he came in right? Such a road...
Did you even watch the match? Batting mistakes, rather than bowling brilliance, the story of the series. Henry went out with Watling and showed how placid this pitch is.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Did you even watch the match? Batting mistakes, rather than bowling brilliance, the story of the series. Henry went out with Watling and showed how placid this pitch is.
Okay...Well this is clearly a waste of our time to keep discussing this.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Tough day by the sounds. Was too busy to see much more than 4-5 overs. Decent fight by NZ in the 2nd innings, but if we're honest it's just a different game when Aust bowl to our batsmen than vice versa. The number of chances they seem to create never keeps them far away from a wicket, whereas sadly it's been tough to know where the next wicket is even going to come from when NZ are bowling (with the exception of the crazy blue-eyed boy). Just utterly outclassed it seems.

Expect Australia to finish it off before lunch with no more than 2 down tomorrow.

Even as one of the more pessimistic (realistic - I like to think) NZ posters who felt Australia would probably be too to strong in the home and away test series this season, I didn't expect the gap between the sides to be quite this wide. I actually thought both series would be fairly close with Australia winning a few pressure moments to take it out marginally, but it's actually been quite a hammering (with the exception of Adelaide). 4 tests to nil assuming Aust get up tomorrow, and comprehensively so.
The most surprising and disapointing thing has been that with the exception of Adelaide, the lack of penetration from Southee & Boult. Boult is coming back from a stress fracture, and Southee was coming into this series off a foot injury. I haven't actually watched much of them bowling in this series, but the comments here suggest they haven't been at the same level they were last season. From the talk of them being the best opening bowling combination NZ has had, it's been quite sobering.