• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Draft 2016

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone tell me why Ishant Sharma went for so much? 25 wickets for 36.80 econ 8.54
It's not all about winning games i guess

if you think a certain player will give you better ratings/memberships etc. it's worth the extra money

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Can anyone tell me why Ishant Sharma went for so much? 25 wickets for 36.80 econ 8.54
When you compare it to other Indian bowlers, its not much really. Ishant Sharma - 3.8 Cr , Ashish Nehra - 5.5 Cr , Praveen Kumar - 3.5 Cr , Mohit Sharma - 6.5 Cr

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just had a look and Australia has 24 participants in the IPL, that is a huge number really with only Ricky Ponting's Mumbai Indians without an Aussie.

Do you think there is potentially a conflict of interest or potential salary cap implications when a Head Coach such as Stephen Fleming is coaching a team in the IPL and Big Bash? He has just bought Melbourne Stars representatives Boland, Zampa, Handscomb and Kevin Pietersen. Can he now get them at the Stars for cheaper so that they can fit another good player in the cap so that the Stars can lose again in the finals next year?

cnerd123

likes this
Anyone else notice how Hardik Pandya's brother who hasn't played cricket in ages got signed by Mumbai Indians for 2 crores while Hardik's own contract in that club is worth just 10 lakhs?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's weird Guptill wasn't picked because they didn't know how he'd fare in Asian conditions yet they bought CJ on the back of his bullying fastest century who was equally as unproven iirc

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anyone else notice how Hardik Pandya's brother who hasn't played cricket in ages got signed by Mumbai Indians for 2 crores while Hardik's own contract in that club is worth just 10 lakhs?

Well, when given the same team said one of their domestic players was unfit and claimed exemption to play 5 foreigners in the CL and said player was smashing a 100 in a local league the same day, I am not surprised at that. IPL is business now and you will see all the famous tactics of the Indian business houses there.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Even if Buttler doesn't start the tournament, I reckon he'll be in by the end. He's too good. Doesn't have a great t20 record but that's more on account of batting 5 and 6. Think eventually he'll bat at about 4 (or any point on from the end of the first 6 overs). Pollard and Anderson are always injured anyway.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ashish Nehra went for more than twice as much as Dale Steyn. We really ought to stop trying to analyse the IPL auction as though it makes sense.
Steyn is a foreign player and is injured. Ashish Nehra is an Indian player. You can't compare red apples with green apples.

Burner

International Regular
I think Guptill not getting selected might be because of circumstances of the teams. it's not like they are all creating a team from scratch. They already have a team and the auction was the opportunity for them to pick out players for the positions they had unfilled. It just might be that no team wanted a top order bat.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Hmmm, my IPL fan strategy for this season was to support whatever team Guptill was in. Guess that's stuffed now. Probably will have to support Baz's team.

Does anyone think the foreign player limit of 4 will soon be changed/scrapped? I know why it's there, but the logical thing seemed to be NHL style where you could have a full team of foreigners.

Seems weird the world No. 5 ranked batsman Guptill can't find a team but there are some genuine spuds being snapped up as foreign players.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Hmmm, my IPL fan strategy for this season was to support whatever team Guptill was in. Guess that's stuffed now. Probably will have to support Baz's team.

Does anyone think the foreign player limit of 4 will soon be changed/scrapped? I know why it's there, but the logical thing seemed to be NHL style where you could have a full team of foreigners.

Seems weird the world No. 5 ranked batsman Guptill can't find a team but there are some genuine spuds being snapped up as foreign players.
Not really disagreeing but "No. 5 ranked" doesn't necessarily mean he's actually the 5th best batsman in the world

btw IIRC Aaron Finch didn't get chosen either (may be wrong) and he's the no. 1 ranked batsman and has much stronger T20 credentials than Guptill

edit: just looked up the T20 batting rankings and they are an absolute joke. No. 8, 9, 10 are Masakadza, Mohammad Shahzad and some guy called MDKJ Perera. Is anyone actually going to think these guys are better than Smith, de Villiers, McCullum, Warner, Maxwell etc?

cliffs: Don't read too much into T20 player rankings

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Not really disagreeing but "No. 5 ranked" doesn't necessarily mean he's actually the 5th best batsman in the world

btw IIRC Aaron Finch didn't get chosen either (may be wrong) and he's the no. 1 ranked batsman and has much stronger T20 credentials than Guptill
He got picked up in the second draft they did for players who missed out first time. Finch was horror for Mumbai last year, eat up deliveries and it was no coincidence that their fortunes picked up once he got injured and was replaced by Simmons.

He has had some good years in the IPL though so he was always likely to be given another chance and of course spanking Indian bowlers in a t20 not to long ago helped!

Guptil has been hard done by I think, I understand the reasoning somewhat of not picking him, but so many spuds over the years have been given a chance and not him.

However if he guns it in the world cup. he may get called as players do get injured in the IPL.

Burner

International Regular
edit: just looked up the T20 batting rankings and they are an absolute joke. No. 8, 9, 10 are Masakadza, Mohammad Shahzad and some guy called MDKJ Perera. Is anyone actually going to think these guys are better than Smith, de Villiers, McCullum, Warner, Maxwell etc?

cliffs: Don't read too much into T20 player rankings
Yes. They are there because of how they've performed in the t20s they played. The guys you've mentioned bar McCullum and Warner have done **** all in t20 cricket.

TheJediBrah

I must have been crazy to think that Warner and McCullum are better T20 players than Hamilton Masakadza and MW{SDES@LFS Perera