• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Stuart Broad make India's strongest test XI?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically I think people are arguing at cross purposes a bit.

When you're asked to think of a bowler 'at their best' you can either think of the best spells they ever bowled, or you can think of the highest sort of quality they were rated at and expected to bowl. Broad's best spells are better than Asif's best spells, but Asif consistently bowled excellent spells over a period, while Broad is still (relatively to Asif anyway) inconsistent, so I think Asif achieved a higher peak as such.

There was a time where if you picked Asif you'd get a better average from him than you'd get from Broad now. And that's high praise, but Asif was bloody good for a time.
Thank **** for PEWS.......that really needed to be cleared up as the proceeding pages were doing my head in!!

If you are talking about "best Spells" surely Broad wins this, not only against Asif but against most ATG bowlers. 7x 5fers in a single spell..........don't have any stats to hand but can anyone match that??

I doubt G McGrath managed that more than maybe once or twice.......which of course does not make Broad the better bowler, nor does it make his peak as good as McGrath. But it does make his best spells more devastating.

Best Spells and Peak are not the same thing.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a bit like several post-2000 NZ pacers have added more value as cricketers to NZ but Bond is the best and Lee having a better career than Harris but Harris clearly being the better bowler.

McGrath and Steyn aside, I can't think of a pacer of the quality of Asif in the last 15 years or so but several have had greater careers.
Ryan Harris, yo.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank **** for PEWS.......that really needed to be cleared up as the proceeding pages were doing my head in!!

If you are talking about "best Spells" surely Broad wins this, not only against Asif but against most ATG bowlers. 7x 5fers in a single spell..........don't have any stats to hand but can anyone match that??

I doubt G McGrath managed that more than maybe once or twice.......which of course does not make Broad the better bowler, nor does it make his peak as good as McGrath. But it does make his best spells more devastating.

Best Spells and Peak are not the same thing.
It is why I liken Broad to Ambrose, only other bowler who is deadly on a roll like that that I have seen. Before people start Waqar was different as he didn't do it with new ball and was deadly later in the innings when the ball reversed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
More wickets at a better average in the last 5 years than in Shoaib's entire career.

Then you factor in the 4 years Broad spent establishing himself where he was inconsistent but still capable of running through the best of them.

On Shoaib's bad days he was getting bans for smacking his fellow bowlers with cricket bats and getting gential warts treated.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's a bit like several post-2000 NZ pacers have added more value as cricketers to NZ but Bond is the best and Lee having a better career than Harris but Harris clearly being the better bowler.

McGrath and Steyn aside, I can't think of a pacer of the quality of Asif in the last 15 years or so but several have had greater careers.
Exactly. The question is "who would you pick in a side", not "who has had the better career".

I would always pick Bond over Tim Southee, even though the latter has already arguably had a better career.

I'd always pick Ryan Harris over Peter Siddle.

I'd always pick Asif over Broad.

Yes, Broad's peaks have been comparable to Asif. Broad's peaks are comparable to any bowler in history. Could say the same about Mitchell Johnson if you wanted. But Asif is a much better bowler.

91Jmay

International Coach
Exactly. The question is "who would you pick in a side", not "who has had the better career".

I would always pick Bond over Tim Southee, even though the latter has already arguably had a better career.

I'd always pick Ryan Harris over Peter Siddle.

I'd always pick Asif over Broad.

Yes, Broad's peaks have been comparable to Asif. Broad's peaks are comparable to any bowler in history. Could say the same about Mitchell Johnson if you wanted. But Asif is a much better bowler.
So the difference between Harris and Siddle is the same as Broad and Asif? How ****ing ridiculous.

smash84

The Tiger King
his average in his best 5 year period is 25. Which is pretty decent. For some reason I was thinking it would have been lower.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah it's not that I don't rate Broad it's just that I think Asif was like a better version of Philander that could actually take wickets on flat decks too.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah it's not that I don't rate Broad it's just that I think Asif was like a better version of Philander that could actually take wickets on flat decks too.
true. It was his seam bowling just outside off that reminded me so much of McGrath. Of course Asif couldn't extract anywhere near as much bounce as McGrath but his line and length was philander like with better wrists for getting the ball to jag around a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYg17TJj8Rk