• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player revolt in sa over quota system ??

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Lol Dodda Ganesh

Dravid can speak Hindi no? He speaks it here:

Not sure about Kumble, Srinath and Prasad either.

And yea I thought of Ashwin and Vijay in the current XI, and guys like Vinay Kumar, Che Pujara, Lokesh Rahul.

They're definitely in the minority though.
I think all of them can definitely speak Hindi. I've heard Ashwin give an interview in Hindi - he's about 95% fluent but makes a couple of grammatical errors here and there. I'm pretty sure Vinay Kumar is a native Hindi speaker. And Pujara is Gujarati, he would definitely be able to speak Hindi.

That being said, I think Dhoni runs the team in Hindi. The only member who probably will reply back in English would be Murali Vijay. I think everyone else would be quite comfortable.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
One example of why our situation is so unique. Consider what a huge fuss was made about the Bavuma 100 that "black kids now have a hero to look up to... Meanwhile across the rest of the world ABdv and amla are considered 2 of the best in their generation... How cant theh possibly be role models or heroes to everyone?

indiaholic

International Captain
Lol Dodda Ganesh

Dravid can speak Hindi no? He speaks it here:

Not sure about Kumble, Srinath and Prasad either.

And yea I thought of Ashwin and Vijay in the current XI, and guys like Vinay Kumar, Che Pujara, Lokesh Rahul.

They're definitely in the minority though.
ChePu can't speak Hindi?!?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Social

Do you have any idea what the number of people in australia is that actually play the game in schools clubs all the up to the stat sides as compared to say ausie rule and rugby union ??
Census results reveal cricket's changing face | cricket.com.au

Pretty sure that it is at an all-time high and will only get bigger due to the BBL

Aussie Rules is huge with kids whilst union is a niche sport

Divergence comes at about 18 as the really talented youngsters can secure professional contracts in some of the winter sports but not cricket so no guessing which route they choose

Marius

International Debutant
It's not controversial.

But I imagine that the debate around whether the CSA should aim to have the national side reflect the demographics of the country will have plenty of controversial posts.
Pursuing perfect demographic representation in ANYTHING is a mug's game.

Far better to give everyone the opportunity to succeed, rather than make sure the country's best team looks like the majority of the population. And that can only be done through hard work and spending money.

cnerd123

likes this
I think all of them can definitely speak Hindi. I've heard Ashwin give an interview in Hindi - he's about 95% fluent but makes a couple of grammatical errors here and there. I'm pretty sure Vinay Kumar is a native Hindi speaker. And Pujara is Gujarati, he would definitely be able to speak Hindi.

That being said, I think Dhoni runs the team in Hindi. The only member who probably will reply back in English would be Murali Vijay. I think everyone else would be quite comfortable.
Yea. HB made a post a couple of days ago (in this thread IIRC) about how every professional cricketer in India realises quickly that they need to learn how to speak Hindi, otherwise they would find it hard to get along with people who are involved in the national set up.

I guess you could say the same for a lot of things in India though - Bollywood, Politics, Business etc. India just happens to be very North-centric, in the sense that no one discriminates against people from the South, but they do have some additional hurdles to climb that those from the North don't.

Marius

International Debutant
Census results reveal cricket's changing face | cricket.com.au

Pretty sure that it is at an all-time high and will only get bigger due to the BBL

Aussie Rules is huge with kids whilst union is a niche sport

Divergence comes at about 18 as the really talented youngsters can secure professional contracts in some of the winter sports but not cricket so no guessing which route they choose
I heard union is Aus is a toff's game. Is that true?

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Yea. HB made a post a couple of days ago (in this thread IIRC) about how every professional cricketer in India realises quickly that they need to learn how to speak Hindi, otherwise they would find it hard to get along with people who are involved in the national set up.

I guess you could say the same for a lot of things in India though - Bollywood, Politics, Business etc. India just happens to be very North-centric, in the sense that no one discriminates against people from the South, but they do have some additional hurdles to climb that those from the North don't.
This is an interesting topic. While I certainly believe that Hindi should not be imposed on those who don't have it as their mother tongue (especially the South), there is no denying the importance of it as a link and an integrating language. I guess it's helpful for young Indians to be be trilingual - English, Hindi and regional language will have you well set. I'm Punjabi, so I know my language, and I know its often the same for Bengalis, Maharashtrians, Gujaratis, etc.

In my masters program in the UK, we had 60 Indians. 57 could speak (or at least understand quite well) Hindi. 3 couldn't - all from Tamil Nadu. That state has been the leader in anti-Hindi agitation and they are rightfully proud of their mother tongue, Tamil. I have several friends from there who understand that being anti-Hindi is largely a political agenda (DMK/AIDMK keep out the other parties by doing this) and they would benefit if they were exposed to Hindi as much as people in other states.

Marius

International Debutant
So then does sa have a middle class supporting cricket ??
In my anecdotal experience, cricket is supported by a large cross-section of whites, from working class guys to upper class guys. Not sure what the situation is amongst the black community.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I heard union is Aus is a toff's game. Is that true?
Junior rugby is largely confined to expensive private schools in NSW & Queensland and marketing of game is deplorable

Aussie rules is killing it at the junior level

cnerd123

likes this
This is an interesting topic. While I certainly believe that Hindi should not be imposed on those who don't have it as their mother tongue (especially the South), there is no denying the importance of it as a link and an integrating language. I guess it's helpful for young Indians to be be trilingual - English, Hindi and regional language will have you well set. I'm Punjabi, so I know my language, and I know its often the same for Bengalis, Maharashtrians, Gujaratis, etc.

In my masters program in the UK, we had 60 Indians. 57 could speak (or at least understand quite well) Hindi. 3 couldn't - all from Tamil Nadu. That state has been the leader in anti-Hindi agitation and they are rightfully proud of their mother tongue, Tamil. I have several friends from there who understand that being anti-Hindi is largely a political agenda (DMK/AIDMK keep out the other parties by doing this) and they would benefit if they were exposed to Hindi as much as people in other states.
It's quite easy for someone to learn Hindi with a North-Indian language as their native tongue (such as Punjabi, Gujurati, Bengali, Marathi, etc), as compared to someone who is native in a South-Indian language though. So South Indians need to put in that extra work to learn a dissimilar language.

All my South-Indian friends are quite annoyed about being expected to learn Hindi if they want to get anywhere in India, while North-Indians don't have similar expectations placed on speaking Tamil. Quite a lot of South-Indian schools also teach Hindi as part of the curriculum. It's pretty unfair.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
It's quite easy for someone to learn Hindi with a North-Indian language as their native tongue (such as Punjabi, Gujurati, Bengali, Marathi, etc), as compared to someone who is native in a South-Indian language though. So South Indians need to put in that extra work to learn a dissimilar language.

All my South-Indian friends are quite annoyed about being expected to learn Hindi if they want to get anywhere in India, while North-Indians don't have similar expectations placed on speaking Tamil. Quite a lot of South-Indian schools also teach Hindi as part of the curriculum. It's pretty unfair.
Yup, thats true. But the point is Tamil can't compete with Hindi. Tamil is a one-state language, and Hindi is a multi-stage language. Tamil competes with Marathi, Bengali, etc and one could argue that they almost never need to learn those languages.

But yeah, more effort required from South Indians than the North.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Yeah, I never really had a big problem about it, tbh. Going by that logic, we should feel bad about being forced to learn English as well. Its unfortunate when one's native language can't be used for professional purposes but at the end of the day, that is how the world is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yup, thats true. But the point is Tamil can't compete with Hindi. Tamil is a one-state language, and Hindi is a multi-stage language. Tamil competes with Marathi, Bengali, etc and one could argue that they almost never need to learn those languages.

But yeah, more effort required from South Indians than the North.

Its just that some of the languages like Marathi or Urdu tend to be much close to Hindi than the south Indian languages. There is a definite cultural diversity between the Northern and Southern states in India and the languages are a reflection of those, I feel. At the end of the day though, it is really a great feeling when you can master a new language to basic conversational levels at least. I remember how excited my 40 North Indian batch mates were when they knew I could understand and even speak Hindi to a reasonable degree. And I definitely improved my Hindi speaking, leaps and bounds talking to them.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is there a thread where news can be reported ?? 18:45 channel 194 enews prometime news

Report:

Match fixing scandal looming in sa iver alleged match fixing by a former proteas player. Firdose moonda interviewed in the report.

There goes the morale of the of the sa test side ......and also al my hope .

Marius

International Debutant
Is there a thread where news can be reported ?? 18:45 channel 194 enews prometime news

Report:

Match fixing scandal looming in sa iver alleged match fixing by a former proteas player. Firdose moonda interviewed in the report.

There goes the morale of the of the sa test side ......and also al my hope .
Just start a new thread.

And FFS couldn't they get anyone other than Moonda to speak about it. Like someone who actually knows about, or just likes, cricket.

Last edited: