• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player revolt in sa over quota system ??

Marius

International Debutant
It mattered even in India at least at the time I was in school.. There were a few places which players gravitated to due to the school's history or the school's administration being under somebody who was part of the cricket board. Have seen a couple of my friends who seemed to have some talent move to these schools.
It's not even to do with people being on the board or whatever. Some schools concentrate on their sports, and have professional coaches, amazing facilities etc. And these will generally be schools where the people who go there have money, so your good cricketers will continue to be mainly drawn from the middle class.

Even Bavuma and Rabada are middle class guys. Ntini is an outlier, coming from a profoundly poor background.

cnerd123

likes this
Even Ntini had to be discovered at a young age, and then received plenty of help in order to access coaches and facilities. Didn't a former cricketer even buy him his first set of bowling shoes?

longranger

U19 Cricketer
So which country has the most 'socially democratic' cricket team historically? Which country's team has to a large extent, been able to replicate their nation's demographics? For India, I remember that the big cities (Mumbai, Delhi) used to dominate, but I don't think that is the case now. Does the current Indian team manage to cover a good range of cities, states, religions, castes, etc?

And how do Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh fare?

I'm particularly interested in the Asian countries as the others seem to have clear groupings. England, in particular, (I say this from my time living there) has a small minority who really loves cricket. Most (not all) tend to have gone to good schools and are at least middle class.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This isn't a uniquely South African problem - cricket talent in NZ and England, and to a lesser degree, Aus, all comes from a handful of schools and regions.
I don't even see how it is a "problem"

Lacking complete equal representation of all demographics of society in every aspect of society isn't a "problem" imo. That's just how the world works.

morgieb

So which country has the most 'socially democratic' cricket team historically? Which country's team has to a large extent, been able to replicate their nation's demographics? For India, I remember that the big cities (Mumbai, Delhi) used to dominate, but I don't think that is the case now. Does the current Indian team manage to cover a good range of cities, states, religions, castes, etc?

And how do Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh fare?

I'm particularly interested in the Asian countries as the others seem to have clear groupings. England, in particular, (I say this from my time living there) has a small minority who really loves cricket. Most (not all) tend to have gone to good schools and are at least middle class.
Probably one of Australia, New Zealand or the West Indies.

cnerd123

likes this
Indian cricket is still dominated by North Indians, although Karanataka's recent success at Ranji level is beginning to change that. I can't recall any Indian player who could not speak Hindi in the last 15-20 years though.

Bangladesh is fairly democratic; but Dhaka and Chittagong do dominate to an extent.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like how you just jumped into the convo and made a point completely unrelated to the conversation they were having. Its like you ignored the first 6 pages and missed the entire context of their conversation only to repeat something that has already been discussed.

Quality posting
Aah, I posted something earlier and have read the 6 pages where your theories have been totally discredited

Guess you're still upset by the way in which the Indian spinners were exposed AGAIN on non-doctored pitches

Enjoy

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Indian cricket is still dominated by North Indians, although Karanataka's recent success at Ranji level is beginning to change that. I can't recall any Indian player who could not speak Hindi in the last 15-20 years though.

Bangladesh is fairly democratic; but Dhaka and Chittagong do dominate to an extent.
I remember a story Tendulkar told about Donald trying to sledge the legendary Dodda Ganesh. Apparently, Tendulkar asked him to not bother because Dodda could neither speak English nor Hindi, he just spoke Kannada. Also, I think the 90s had quite a few Karnataka players - Dravid, Kumble, Srinath, Venkatesh Prasad.

As for current players who probably don't speak Hindi, Murali Vijay?

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
So then

exactly how many cricket playing people have we got in england ?? They have 20 major counties if I am correct ?? That's at least 220 people right ?? Minor counties ?? Clubs ?? All in total less then 2000 regularly playing people in england ?? What about Australia where cricket is the national sport ?? Has cricket always been the rich mans game ??

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So then

exactly how many cricket playing people have we got in england ?? They have 20 major counties if I am correct ?? That's at least 220 people right ?? Minor counties ?? Clubs ?? All in total less then 2000 regularly playing people in england ?? What about Australia where cricket is the national sport ?? Has cricket always been the rich mans game ??
Cricket is not the "rich mans game" in Oz and never has been

In fact, there are very, very few private school boys that have achieved test status of late

TheJediBrah

Cricket is not the "rich mans game" in Oz and never has been

In fact, there are very, very few private school boys that have achieved test status of late
yeah quite the opposite, you take an average club/grade side and the majority will probably be tradespeople

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Social

Do you have any idea what the number of people in australia is that actually play the game in schools clubs all the up to the stat sides as compared to say ausie rule and rugby union ??

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yea the talent source for pretty much every major cricket playing country (Associates too) tends to be comcentrated within a relatively small number of regions/schools. Its just a result of the unique nature of Cricket. You need a lot of equipment and resources to play it. Its not as easy to pick up or teach as a sport like football or even rugby.
In Australia, that's called New South Wales.

cnerd123

likes this
I remember a story Tendulkar told about Donald trying to sledge the legendary Dodda Ganesh. Apparently, Tendulkar asked him to not bother because Dodda could neither speak English nor Hindi, he just spoke Kannada. Also, I think the 90s had quite a few Karnataka players - Dravid, Kumble, Srinath, Venkatesh Prasad.

As for current players who probably don't speak Hindi, Murali Vijay?
Lol Dodda Ganesh

Dravid can speak Hindi no? He speaks it here:

Not sure about Kumble, Srinath and Prasad either.

And yea I thought of Ashwin and Vijay in the current XI, and guys like Vinay Kumar, Che Pujara, Lokesh Rahul.

They're definitely in the minority though.

cnerd123

likes this
Aah, I posted something earlier and have read the 6 pages where your theories have been totally discredited

Guess you're still upset by the way in which the Indian spinners were exposed AGAIN on non-doctored pitches

Enjoy
LMAO

Such dire posting :laughing:

indiaholic

International Captain
It's not even to do with people being on the board or whatever. Some schools concentrate on their sports, and have professional coaches, amazing facilities etc. And these will generally be schools where the people who go there have money, so your good cricketers will continue to be mainly drawn from the middle class.

Even Bavuma and Rabada are middle class guys. Ntini is an outlier, coming from a profoundly poor background.
The people being on the board thing was something that actually happened here. The guy was a major real estate player, and a member of the state cricket association. It vastly improved your chances if you studied there and people have paid quite a lot of money to get into the school. Not implying this is what happens everywhere.

Totally agree that most of the schools that were nurseries became that by virtue of having better facilities/coaches etc.

cnerd123

likes this
You can't possibly think that's controversial in any way, shape or form

even you aren't that imaginative
It's not controversial.

But I imagine that the debate around whether the CSA should aim to have the national side reflect the demographics of the country will have plenty of controversial posts.