• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I believe earlier in the match last night, Gayle appeared to have injured his leg, and Howie said "perhaps he's hurt his groin from overuse", or something similar, which to me suggested innuendo.
Junior made another groin reference immediately after the interview too, exactly the moment Ten's CEO must have absolutely soiled himself.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Gayle exposed himself to me: woman

The Australian woman, who was working around the West Indies team in Sydney, has detailed the incident to Fairfax Media. In the course of her work she entered the team dressing room to get a sandwich as she hadn't eaten all day, thinking the players were on the field training.

Instead, she found Gayle in the room with one other player. Gayle was wrapped in a towel, which she says he pulled down to partially expose his genitals to her while saying to her: "Are you looking for this?"

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Comes across as a total neanderthal and a repeat offender as well. No sympathy from me.

Stapel

International Regular
Fined 10000 dollars for disrespecting tv reporter.
Don't get me wrong, I think Gayle's remarks were not on. Yet, IMHO, as far as 'workplace harassment' goes, this was really a minimum offense, if so. Worth a warning. Or a dialogue. But a 10,000 dollar fine? Seems pathetic to me.

It also raises a juridicial question. Who has the authority to fine him?

indiaholic

International Captain
The amount of fines should be calibrated to the individual's ability to pay. A 10k fine for Gayle is not much.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Does ***ism exist?

Chris Gayle was crass, what he said was probably offensive to the reporter. Who cares? She's a big girl and should have had plenty of practice at rebuffing men. By the look of her, part of the reason she was hired was because she was nice to look at. I guess the broadcaster should fine themselves for ***ism and misogyny.

People are so tetchy about being offended these days. It;s an utterly meaningless sentence: "I'm offended by that." Keep it to yourself, as my dad told me: If you go out in public there is a chance you'll meet a horrible person but if everyone you meet is a horrible person then you are the one with the problem.
Think its been totally blown out of proportion. Would have though he had done much more then merely ask her out for a drink the way people are carrying on. Guess Chris is the first bloke to ask someone out at work. Maybe inappropriate but I didn't think much of it tbh.
Everyone just settle down. There was no ****ing ***ual harassment, just a bit of banter.
So let me get this right, it's OK for a female athlete to flirt with a male reporter but not the other way around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-FIfVfvOMo
I'd like a venn diagram of people who are too PC and blind!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's funny and dire in equal measure that I predicted who the really crap posts in this thread would be made by before opening it.

Hi Watson, btw.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Can we stop the ***ism in IPL as well? The whole thing is like that workplace Elaine finds out about.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't get me wrong, I think Gayle's remarks were not on. Yet, IMHO, as far as 'workplace harassment' goes, this was really a minimum offense, if so. Worth a warning. Or a dialogue. But a 10,000 dollar fine? Seems pathetic to me.

It also raises a juridicial question. Who has the authority to fine him?
They don't work for the same organization, so technically it's not even workplace harassment. It's just a private body disciplining one of its employees for "bad behaviour", which it has every right to do (or at least should because most sporting contracts have morality clauses), and that also answers your last question. $10K is perfectly fine since there are 2 aspects of a fine -

1) It should be commensurate with the crime; and
2) It should be high enough to make doing the crime too expensive for the party in question .

As per 2, the $10K fine is alright.

91Jmay

International Coach
Some absolute shambles opinions in this thread. He was being ***ist to deliberately embarrass a reporter live on air and he has form for being a ***ist prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.