• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcas0167

International Debutant
i seriously do wonder what would have happened if this wasn't gayle doing it

like if it were a lesser player, say it was tom beaton, would there have been harder or lighter sanctions
If they said the exact words Gayle said, I imagine the sanction would be the same. It obviously doesn't help that Gayle apparently has a history of this with female journalists and they, along with Chris Rogers, have come out to point out it's not just a one off joke. It's his modus operandi.

I would be interested to know if he'd talked about asking her out with his teammates at some point. It would no doubt accrue some bragging rights and add to his reputation as a playboy. I can almost see how, in his mind, he'd develop the hubris to think it was a cool thing to do.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow this thread. Happens every time.

Wrt to the broader issue of attractiveness being one of the factors of employment, as far as it has any relevance to what happened here, has no bearing on the latitude given to colleagues when dealing with one another.

Female colleague to male colleague - "Hey colleague. Look, it's that time again when we get to do our job together, which is to try and increase/retain viewership of BBL through an interview."

Male colleague to female colleague - "Yeah! But instead of telling viewers interesting tidbits about the game, the pitch, the atmosphere, and our strategy, I am going to hit on you on live TV because I think it will be a hoot and because I can get away with it, and because teenage boys might like it."

Female colleague - "Wait what???"

Gnske

Male colleague to female colleague - "Yeah! But instead of telling viewers interesting tidbits about the game, the pitch, the atmosphere, and our strategy,
Not a word often associated with post-innings interviews

Compton

International Debutant
Chris Gayle in "thinking with his bat" shocker.

He's said sorry, he's been reprimanded, let's move on.

Redbacks

International Captain
Not a word often associated with post-innings interviews
They are generally quite awkward really. The batsman just got out and no matter how well they played they can't really reflect on the innings whilst the game is still in the balance.

watson

Banned
Chris Kenny denying Briggs did anything wrong with a victim blaming "she took selfies so she wanted it" and fedora/neckbeard "women can't take compliments these days amirite guys", all for the sake of making I about Tony Abbott. We've hit peak straight white male, everyone.

Flog. Get in the bin.

- Dan
Did we just hit peak straight black male during yesterdays interview?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would encourage y'all to be considerate of one another - there's been some good discussion in here, but that can only continue if we respect the right of other people to voice their opinions.

My two cents: What Gayle said/did was wrong. It was a not a genuine attempt to ask her out (obviously). It was however, what is expected of him. Channel 10 have encouraged his persona, and so to then be "outraged" at his comments last night is unjustified.

This issue (of promoting our hyper-***ualised society) obviously runs deeper than just this incident, but that is a greater problem, and bigger than what this thread is intended for.

tl;dr - Gayle and Channel 10 should both review their approach to modern-day cricket.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wow this thread. Happens every time.

Wrt to the broader issue of attractiveness being one of the factors of employment, as far as it has any relevance to what happened here, has no bearing on the latitude given to colleagues when dealing with one another.

Female colleague to male colleague - "Hey colleague. Look, it's that time again when we get to do our job together, which is to try and increase/retain viewership of BBL through an interview."

Male colleague to female colleague - "Yeah! But instead of telling viewers interesting tidbits about the game, the pitch, the atmosphere, and our strategy, I am going to hit on you on live TV because I think it will be a hoot and because I can get away with it, and because teenage boys might like it."

Female colleague - "Wait what???"
I don't think anyone has suggested that her attractiveness makes Gayle's behaviour ok. The comments regarding her attractiveness (from my reading of them) relate to the broader issues of s8xism/ageism in hiring practices. The responses to that have been a) while a level of attractiveness is a prerequisite, she is also knowledgeable about sport and b) it reflects what the viewers want c) helps broaden the audience to young female viewers so there are commercial benefits.

Also, as noted above, Chris Rogers is particularly brave to come out so strongly against Gayle's behaviour when he could be playing with him later in the year. Would have been easy to keep his head down.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Channel 10 have encouraged his persona, and so to then be "outraged" at his comments last night is unjustified.
I don't have Channel Ten so I want to know what they've done to encourage this. From what I've seen, Chris Gayle desperately trying to maintain his cool playboy persona needs no encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.