• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watson

Banned
The phrase, 'out of line' is not really any form of apology is it? Read between the lines and it sounds more like 'go and get stuffed' to me.

Not good enough.

CLUB STATEMENT: CHRIS GAYLE

Melbourne Renegades CEO Stuart Coventry has released a Club statement regarding Chris Gayle
The Melbourne Renegades have today fined Chris Gayle $10,000 following inappropriate remarks made during Monday night’s televised match against the Hobart Hurricanes on Network Ten.

Melbourne Renegades CEO Stuart Coventry said:

“Chris’ comments were completely inappropriate and disrespectful. There is simply no place for these type of comments at the Melbourne Renegades.

“The club would like to extend a formal apology to Mel McLaughlin. Mel is an outstanding sports presenter. We think of her very highly and the club and players will ensure we work with her in a professional and respectful manner in future.

“We’ve had several discussions with Chris over the past day and he has acknowledged that his comments were out of line. We would also like to formally apologise to our members, supporters and the wider public for offence caused. The club is based on values of respect towards every member of the community,” said Coventry.

“As a result of his comments, the Renegades have fined Chris $10,000 for inappropriate conduct. The club will subsequently donate this amount to the McGrath Foundation in recognition of Jane McGrath day today.”

Club Statement: Chris Gayle | Melbourne Renegades - BBL

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Hypothetically, if Chris Gayle's comments were made toward an average women at the bar who wasn't a celebrity would we still consider his remarks morally wrong and inappropriate? If we say yes, then it doesn't bode well for a significant percentage of the global male population. So there must be a fare decree of hypocrisy going on here because no one seems overly concerned about what goes on during your average Friday or Saturday night out.

Personally, I see Gayle's comments as a form Work Place Harrassment. Both Gayle and McLaughlin were 'at work', and McLaughlin was just trying to do her job as an employee. Therefore she has a right to a workplace free of ***ual harrassment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hypothetically, if Chris Gayle's comments were made toward an average women at the bar who wasn't a celebrity would we still consider his remarks morally wrong and inappropriate?
Of course not ffs. You explained the problem in your second paragraph, so I have no idea why you think this is even a question.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I don't have Channel Ten so I want to know what they've done to encourage this. From what I've seen, Chris Gayle desperately trying to maintain his cool playboy persona needs no encouragement.
While it seems CricketWeb is pretty firmly in the Gayle-is-a-try-hard camp, before today, the majority of the public loved his cool image. C10 have definitely run with it from ball one, all the way through to initially laughing at his comments last night.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Hypothetically, if Chris Gayle's comments were made toward an average women at the bar who wasn't a celebrity would we still consider his remarks morally wrong and inappropriate? If we say yes, then it doesn't bode well for a significant percentage of the global male population. So there must be a fare decree of hypocrisy going on here because no one seems overly concerned about what goes on during your average Friday or Saturday night out.

Personally, I see Gayle's comments as a form Work Place Harrassment. Both Gayle and McLaughlin were 'at work', and McLaughlin was just trying to do her job as an employee. Therefore she has a right to a workplace free of ***ual harrassment.
If I was at the bar, I would be drinking alcohol, would not be withholding expletives, and would not have an audience of hundreds of thousands of people expecting me to act professionally.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Dude... It's harassment

indiaholic

International Captain
While it seems CricketWeb is pretty firmly in the Gayle-is-a-try-hard camp, before today, the majority of the public loved his cool image. C10 have definitely run with it from ball one, all the way through to initially laughing at his comments last night.
Think it was meant as a genuine question. What have they done to encourage his behaviour? I have watched very little of the BBL so don't really know..

Gnske

Think it was meant as a genuine question. What have they done to encourage his behaviour? I have watched very little of the BBL so don't really know..
Nothing really beyond prioritizing him for on-field mic duty.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
holy **** that youtube video of the Chris Gayle mansion. The part where he kisses the really reluctant woman on her lips, fmd.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Think its been totally blown out of proportion. Would have though he had done much more then merely ask her out for a drink the way people are carrying on. Guess Chris is the first bloke to ask someone out at work. Maybe inappropriate but I didn't think much of it tbh.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I was genuinely trying to answer, haha. :) It's hard to give specific examples I guess. Referring to him as a cool cat, rockstar, etc - they were all over it when he debuted the golden bat. I remember Finch talking about it being "typical Caribbean flare, Gayle always brings the smiles and entertainment" or something to that effect. Sorry if that's not detailed enough.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Chris Gayle was crass, what he said was probably offensive to the reporter. Who cares? She's a big girl and should have had plenty of practice at rebuffing men. By the look of her, part of the reason she was hired was because she was nice to look at. I guess the broadcaster should fine themselves for ***ism and misogyny.

People are so tetchy about being offended these days. It;s an utterly meaningless sentence: "I'm offended by that." Keep it to yourself, as my dad told me: If you go out in public there is a chance you'll meet a horrible person but if everyone you meet is a horrible person then you are the one with the problem.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, though. Embracing his cool demeanour and flashiness doesn't condone OTT acts like this.

fredfertang

When the red mist rises on the subject of Chris Gayle just bear in mind that Donald Trump and Tyson Fury are also on this planet, and then Gayle won't seem quite so bad

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I was genuinely trying to answer, haha. :) It's hard to give specific examples I guess. Referring to him as a cool cat, rockstar, etc - they were all over it when he debuted the golden bat. I remember Finch talking about it being "typical Caribbean flare, Gayle always brings the smiles and entertainment" or something to that effect. Sorry if that's not detailed enough.
I believe earlier in the match last night, Gayle appeared to have injured his leg, and Howie said "perhaps he's hurt his groin from overuse", or something similar, which to me suggested innuendo.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
A bit weird for Gayle to do that on live television. What did he expect her to say? Now if he said that to her when the cameras weren't present, it would be a totally different story. I can understand the BBL and the broadcasters going nuts because it's just not OK to flirt with a reporter whose trying to do her duty. As long as Gayle apologizes (I think he did), and he's been officially warned, I think everyone can relax. What he said isn't shocking or criminal. Its inappropriate (and mildly amusing) and shouldn't be repeated in future.

For the record, I reckon Kohli and Gayle must be fun to hang around with after an RCB win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.