• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
someone pointed out in jon wortheim's mailbag in sports illustrated that no champ even at their most dominant has ever been #1 on all surfaces at the same time except for now...novak is rewriting the definition of mind-numbingly consistent excellence...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
GB and Belgium level at 1-1 as expected. Edmund was eventually outclassed having been gifted the first two sets and the Murray match was comfortable.

cpr

International Coach
Thought they'd retained Ward for the 5th leg if required given how he's performed?

Doubles should be won by GB really. Be worrying if the world no 2 singles player and a top 10 doubles player can't work together, given they are brothers, to produce a decent performance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Murrays were up 3-0 in that second set and now just lost it! Don't choke fellas.

Edit: Nope, that wasn't right at all.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Damn it came here to correct myself when I saw the set stats,but marc was too quick lol

Tempted to stay up and watch from here now that its not a rout.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't watch the doubles today but was very surprised when I saw the Belgian pairing, unless Bemelmans was not fit after yesterday's match. Still reluctant to start counting chickens in case Murray gets an injury or food poisoning.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What a career Murray has had already. He may not have weight of Grand Slams but to win a Wimbledon, Olympic Gold at a home tournament and now the Davis Cup having been unbeaten... Fans of British Tennis don't realise how lucky we are to have this guy.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What a career Murray has had already. He may not have weight of Grand Slams but to win a Wimbledon, Olympic Gold at a home tournament and now the Davis Cup having been unbeaten... Fans of British Tennis don't realise how lucky we are to have this guy.
Proper fans certainly do realise it. Those who think tennis takes place two weeks a year probably not. I used to say to people who mocked Tim Henman as a loser that we should enjoy having a contender because another won't come along for a long time. I was proved wrong with Murray coming along, so hopefully there'll be someone to follow him.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Proper fans certainly do realise it. Those who think tennis takes place two weeks a year probably not. I used to say to people who mocked Tim Henman as a loser that we should enjoy having a contender because another won't come along for a long time. I was proved wrong with Murray coming along, so hopefully there'll be someone to follow him.
You say that but I still hear on the regular from self-anointed 'proper fans' that he's wasted his potential, that his Grand Slam record prevents him from being a great player. In fact, considering he's won the three things that probably have the most nationwide attention, a lot of these two-weeks-a-year fans probably do respect him more than many who follow all the slams.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
murray has had an excellent career...in fact considering he is playing in the federer-nadal-djokovic era, he has done wonderfully well to just be spoken of in the same breath...he is going into the hall of fame for sure and he probably has one or two more majors in him before he is done...