• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah I think Grace could have given Sobers a run for his money just as he did Viv but I doubt Sachin has a chance. Though I'll vote him.

For the upcoming bowlers tournament, should it be 32 or 64? There is such a wide field of bowlers who could be placed on the highest tier IMO, just looking at the bowling averages list there is so little between sooooo many names.

It's weird though I think it'd be a fairly pace dominated contest, with maybe Warne, Murali, Laker, O'Reilly, Verity, Tayfield, Gibbs and Grimmett the only guys likely to make the top 32... with maybe Ironmonger and Mailey scraping in... again due to the romanticism surrounding the pre war players.

Would be interesting to see how many Windies quicks would get nominated for the 32.

I'd say def Ambrose, Marshall, Holding, Roberts and Garner, most likely Walsh, and Croft or Hall wouldn't surprise me either. Sylvester and Bishop if there is 64 entrants. I'm excited

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah weird posts from Coronis and Mr mister. Tendulkar's great and has lots of Indian fans here. No reason why he can't beat Sobers. Same for Lara. I don't think Sobers is close to being the sort of runaway favourite the way they're making it out to be.

mr_mister

I haven't fully figured out where everyone is from yet on this site.

Sobers got his #1 seed from that Days of Grace top 100 batsmen list I dug up which placed Sachin @ 10 and Sobers @ 2(behind Bradman). I know that's just one guy and his list but he went into huge detail and I figure that's a big enough gap to justify him as favourite. I took into account Sachin's longevity and the fact all the users have seen him bat and bumped him up as 4 seed tho

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Garry Sobers vs George Headley
Sachin Tendulkar vs Brian Lara
Jack Hobbs vs Sunil Gavaskar
Viv Richards vs Len Hutton

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Garry Sobers vs George Headley.

Sachin Tendulkar vs Brian Lara.

Jack Hobbs vs Sunil Gavaskar.

Viv Richards vs Len Hutton.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Can't ever choose between them (even though I just did)

On a side note, I am never keen on calling anyone the best batsman or the best after Bradman etc. Because 'best' has to do a lot with style of play, for example, among other factors, and saying Lara is a better batsman than Bradman is not bollocks. Greatest is more apt. It's not perfect either. Perhaps accomplished is even more appropriate.
Yeah I actually think Lara is a 'better' batsman than Tendulkar, in terms of what the heights he could achieve with the bat. Tendulkar had a better overall career though in terms of the ridiculous span and remarkable consistency across conditions.

I'm going to vote for Viv over Sachin even if he does beat Lara here though. :p

Well, the way I tend to look at it is, if I am choosing a team, I would pick the guy who can reach higher in his discipline but if I am choosing the best in a poll like this, I will choose the guy who has had the better career. Mind you, there is little in it either way when we are discussing guys as good as these 8.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah I think Grace could have given Sobers a run for his money just as he did Viv but I doubt Sachin has a chance. Though I'll vote him.

For the upcoming bowlers tournament, should it be 32 or 64? There is such a wide field of bowlers who could be placed on the highest tier IMO, just looking at the bowling averages list there is so little between sooooo many names.

It's weird though I think it'd be a fairly pace dominated contest, with maybe Warne, Murali, Laker, O'Reilly, Verity, Tayfield, Gibbs and Grimmett the only guys likely to make the top 32... with maybe Ironmonger and Mailey scraping in... again due to the romanticism surrounding the pre war players.

Would be interesting to see how many Windies quicks would get nominated for the 32.

I'd say def Ambrose, Marshall, Holding, Roberts and Garner, most likely Walsh, and Croft or Hall wouldn't surprise me either. Sylvester and Bishop if there is 64 entrants. I'm excited
64 entrants. 16 seeds.

Marshall, McGrath, Warne, Muralitharan, Hadlee, Barnes, Steyn, Lillee, Ambrose, Akram, O'Reilly, Donald, Holding, Davidson, Imran, Lindwall/ Trueman/ Garner

Last edited:

mr_mister

maybe Waqar can squeeze into the 16 too? But you're right 64 would be best. Maybe Round 1 can be split so people don't have to vote 32 times in one go lol.

Slifer

International Captain
Marshall
McGrath
Steyn
Ambrose
Donald
Lillee
Hadlee
Imran
Warne
Murali
Trueman
Barnes
Wasim
Waqar
Holding
Lindwall

Maybe swap Garner or O'Reilly for one or two of the above, but that would be my 16 seeds, in no particular order.

mr_mister

O'Reilly over Lindwall IMO

but hey... there will be a nominations thread so we'll get a good idea of public opinion

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Chrish

International Debutant
Marshall
McGrath
Steyn
Ambrose
Donald
Lillee
Hadlee
Imran
Warne
Murali
Trueman
Barnes
Wasim
Waqar
Holding
Lindwall

Maybe swap Garner or O'Reilly for one or two of the above, but that would be my 16 seeds, in no particular order.
Am I the only one to think McGrath > bowler X?

Anyways don't agree with comparing spinners with paceman.. Different roles