• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
@kyear: ^i was def thinking of doing that, but happy for someone else to run it if they want. i was thinking just paceman but all bowlers would be pretty interesting actually, more variety and harder to pick a winner. itl also bring in debates about pace vs spin.

originally i was going to do second best cricketer after bradman but the all-rounders would make people like Hobbs and McGrath kinda obsolete
Feel. Free to go for it. The pace spin dynamic should make it interesting.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a score update!:

Sobers leads 19-2
Sachin ties Lara 10-10
Hobbs leads 21-0
Viv leads - 18-3

Well... I think everyone could predict which match of these was going to be the closest

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have expected Sachin's longevity to win it out for him over Lara tbh.
Can't ever choose between them (even though I just did)

On a side note, I am never keen on calling anyone the best batsman or the best after Bradman etc. Because 'best' has to do a lot with style of play, for example, among other factors, and saying Lara is a better batsman than Bradman is not bollocks. Greatest is more apt. It's not perfect either. Perhaps accomplished is even more appropriate.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I actually think Lara is a 'better' batsman than Tendulkar, in terms of what the heights he could achieve with the bat. Tendulkar had a better overall career though in terms of the ridiculous span and remarkable consistency across conditions.

I'm going to vote for Viv over Sachin even if he does beat Lara here though. :p

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I actually think Lara is a 'better' batsman than Tendulkar, in terms of what the heights he could achieve with the bat. Tendulkar had a better overall career though in terms of the ridiculous span and remarkable consistency across conditions.

I'm going to vote for Viv over Sachin even if he does beat Lara here though. :p
Richards might beat Hobbs, but surely Sachin won't beat Sobers.