• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hahaha. I get it. I've come to the wrong neighbourhood.
Nah, I was just pointing out the irony of you getting annoyed at OS trying to have a sensible discussion with you after disagreeing with you because you didn't have anything to back up your point other than making point blank statements and then complaining that you can't have a sensible discussion around here. "Sensible discussion" does not mean "never having my opinion challenged." A sensible discussion is precisely what he was trying to have with you, but you found it "funny" that you had to actually elaborate on what you actually meant by your buzzword. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him digging into your comment and your inability to do anything other than restate it without elaboration and put on a D-list display of faux-outrage speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
I think this aura you guys keep talking about is something you perceive in YOUR mind... It might not be a constant for everyone...Or maybe I am just talking out of my ass..

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Nah, I was just pointing out the irony of you getting annoyed at OS trying to have a sensible discussion with you after disagreeing with you because you didn't have anything to back up your point other than making point blank statements and then complaining that you can't have a sensible discussion around here. "Sensible discussion" does not mean "never having my opinion challenged." A sensible discussion is precisely what he was trying to have with you, but you found it "funny" that you had to actually elaborate on what you actually meant by your buzzword. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him digging into your comment and your inability to do anything other than restate it without elaboration and put on a D-list display of faux-outrage speaks volumes.
Alright, guilty as charged. Please tell me the sentence and get this over with.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Gotta wonder how Laxman's first-chance aura compares to the likes of Dravid. Would be an interesting analysis tstl.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
PEWS will now strip you off all your aura, and use it as his perfume.
I wasn't being sarcastic there, I didn't mean to offend anyone's knowledge on the matter or anything if that is how it came across. Honestly I wasn't expecting a backlash such as this on giving my opinion on something fairly subjective and which wasn't even the main point of discussion but clearly I did say something incredibly out of order. I personally don't intend to get seriously involved most of the time when posting so maybe I expected not such a heavy reaction. Whatever the case, apologies if I wasn't following the forum etiquette.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
O RLY.

Actual quotes from Aussie(and some non-Aussie) CW posters, who predicted he'd win India the game from a hopeless position, and duly did so (Mohali 2010)
Haha. I remember how in a test in Australia post Eden, Australia were in a good position. Laxman, Dravid batting at the end of the day. SlowLove stated how he doesn't like the look of it and they went on to make tons of runs. That Laxman guy. What a player.

watson

Banned
What Aldo probably means by 'aura' in a batsman is his consistency. Steve Waugh for example seemed to be so unflappable and so consistent in his run scoring that you generally believed he would rescue a situation no matter how dire.

Laxman for all his genius gave the impression of being inconsistent. Mecurial players are great to watch because their unpredictability makes them more exciting. But they hardly calm the nerves in a crisis.

Whether the preconceived perception is the same as reality is a different matter of course. It may be that Laxman is the most consistent batsman in the history of cricket. But I would like to first see the mathmatics (eg standard deviation) of his scores before deriving a proper conclusion.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I didn't think a descriptor could get more meaningless than 'skilled' but I've actually just read pages about 'aura'

christ

watson

Banned
I didn't think a descriptor could get more meaningless than 'skilled' but I've actually just read pages about 'aura'

christ
Yeah, but we do it all the time in every facit of life for some reason.

"He's crap"
"She's hot"
"He's tough"
"She's a bitch"

What do they even mean?

watson

Banned
In fact we could stop about 90% of arguments if both parties stopped to think what the other person means when they use a specific word or phrase. So often we apply our own meaning to a word or phrase assuming that the other person thinks exactly the same way as us.

It far more constructive to not assume anything but first work out what the person is really trying to say. But this involves slowing down the conversation and listening.

Words and language really are that nuanced.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
O RLY.

Actual quotes from Aussie(and some non-Aussie) CW posters, who predicted he'd win India the game from a hopeless position, and duly did so (Mohali 2010):

That's ****-your-pants-when-he's-batting aura right there.

PS: I have a lot of time on my hands
:laugh:

Love your work OS

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, Dravid had that.
Haha, yeah he had a mortgage on it and no-one else was allowed to have it.

As if Chanders didn't have that type of effect on teams. Was maybe punctured by the fact that you were a chance of rolling the rest of the team for 150, but Chanderpaul definitely had it over a very long period.