• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should have opened with Brendon as I posted and told him and him alone to chase the total.
Yeah, nah, yeah. :p

I suppose they could have got away with swapping he and Latham for that particular innings using the rationale that Latham had been keeping.

But truth be told, McCullum would have needed a big slice of luck to last long vs. that new ball the way he plays.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That's one possible explanation. Another may be that even at 20/3, McCullum still fancied keeping his powder (himself, Anderson and Southee) dry for an evening victory push in the final 20 overs. Those hopes would've died when Williamson was dismissed though.
I prefer my explanation, even though I enjoyed reading yours. Your explanation means that Brendon was still entertaining thoughts of victory when the score was 12 for 3. That would make him not necessarily a stupid man but it would certainly indicate he would be a person who placed little value on draws.

Zinzan

I prefer my explanation, even though I enjoyed reading yours. Your explanation means that Brendon was still entertaining thoughts of victory when the score was 12 for 3. That would make him not necessarily a stupid man but it would certainly indicate he would be a person who placed little value on draws.
IDK, this is McCullum we're talking about..he's the eternal optimist. If we had 5 in hand needing 100 off the last 15 overs, I wouldn't put it past him to give it a lick

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, you're probably mostly right. However, I would still consider it less a case of McCullum not believing he could survive the new ball, than believing that Watling's odds were higher. Watling's an experienced opener at first class level. While I still defend McCullum's improved defensive ability, Watling is undoubtedly the more technically correct batsman and one better suited to blunting a rampant England attack.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, you're probably mostly right. However, I would still consider it less a case of McCullum not believing he could survive the new ball, than believing that Watling's odds were higher. Watling's an experienced opener at first class level. While I still defend McCullum's improved defensive ability, Watling is undoubtedly the more technically correct batsman and one better suited to blunting a rampant England attack.
There's no chance he didn't back himself against a fairly new ball, he's a former Test opener and noted bullish cricketer. Said in the presser he wanted to hold back for a dip later in the innings, yeah? No reason to not believe that.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
So, match stats:

Boult 9 for 164
Henry 6 for 199
Southee 3 for 266
Craig 2 for 173

It's definitely a worry that, not only is Southee not taking wickets, but he's expensive too. Signs that he's badly off rhythm.
Southee was awesome on the first day, alot of his numbers are blown out as he tried to bowl bouncers (which had no heat) and the uber agressive fields that was set. Also I dont think either Boult or Southee were match fit for test cricket, they both flagged more than usual towards the end of the day. Case in point the 2nd new ball on day 4.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It was a lot easier to pick the batsmen than bowlers in that composite XI. They all got carted at one point or other.

Zinzan

Southee was awesome on the first day, alot of his numbers are blown out as he tried to bowl bouncers (which had no heat) and the uber agressive fields that was set. Also I dont think either Boult or Southee were match fit for test cricket, they both flagged more than usual towards the end of the day. Case in point the 2nd new ball on day 4.
I think the only comparison between Southee and Boult in this test was that they are both NZ bowlers.

Seriously, Southee went for almost double the RPO as Boult in the test match, saying nothing of the difference in wickets. Boult may not have been at his very best, but 9/164 is a quite unbelievable return considering England scored 390 and 450

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You're being ott, and I'm not sure where this sudden Southee dislike is coming from. Yes he was poor on the afternoons of days 1 and 4, but he was also excellent in his first spells on days 1, 3 and 4. He needs to bowl better going forward, but his rustiness isn't hugely surprising given that he spent most of the last 6 weeks warming the bench and getting the occasional 2 over spell in the IPL.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Another interesting question for me is whether Southee will bowl that badly two tests in a row. He hasn't strung together two poor performances on the bounce since the first two tests of the home England series in 2013. We need him to find and maintain his rhythm if we're to have any chance of levelling the series.
I think part of the problem is that england are so stacked with left handers, which favours Boult and makes it harder for Southee to bowl the economical line as he does against righties.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think part of the problem is that england are so stacked with left handers, which favours Boult and makes it harder for Southee to bowl the economical line as he does against righties.
Yeah, England had a lot more right handers in the team on the last tour, with Compton, Trott, Bairstow, Prior and Swann all playing. Was always going to be a bit more difficult for him this time round.

Zinzan

I don't buy that, Southee's done well enough against teams like SL over the years who have always been stacked with lefties. Plus he should be experienced enough to cope & adjust with the lines/lengths required.

I don't know what's up with him, but that 2nd innings spell of 34 over 2/162 was the Southee of 2010.

Btw, I'm tasting it so hard from English mates of mine today.. I was feeling really bullish about this series a month or so including predicting a 2-0 score line to NZ.

Zinzan

There's no chance he didn't back himself against a fairly new ball, he's a former Test opener and noted bullish cricketer. Said in the presser he wanted to hold back for a dip later in the innings, yeah? No reason to not believe that.
Yup, this.

Zinzan

You're being ott, and I'm not sure where this sudden Southee dislike is coming from. Yes he was poor on the afternoons of days 1 and 4, but he was also excellent in his first spells on days 1, 3 and 4. He needs to bowl better going forward, but his rustiness isn't hugely surprising given that he spent most of the last 6 weeks warming the bench and getting the occasional 2 over spell in the IPL.
It's not 'dislike', it's 'disappointment'. I thought he was really poor.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't buy that, Southee's done well enough against teams like SL over the years who have always been stacked with lefties. Plus he should be experienced enough to cope & adjust with the lines/lengths required.

I don't know what's up with him, but that 2nd innings spell of 34 over 2/162 was the Southee of 2010.

Btw, I'm tasting it so hard from English mates of mine today.. I was feeling really bullish about this series a month or so including predicting a 2-0 score line to NZ.
Looking at that 2nd innings spell he was 18-60-2 before the 2nd new ball and he got pumped, its a fatigue thing imo not a skill thing.

Also on comparing Boult vs Southee, the first sessions of both english innings Southee out bowled Boult. Especially in the first inning Boult was to wide and really only got the wicket of because he was trying to bat from behind his stumps. Southee was just unlucky a fair bit. Given how Boult bowled I really dont think he deserved the 9 wickets though his spell on day 5 morning was pretty good

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

It's not that he can't bowl against left handers, but it means if he's slightly off his best it's gonna hurt more. He's had plenty of average games in the past where he didn't bowl that well but just hammered away outside off against right handers, which he can't do here.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's not 'dislike', it's 'disappointment'. I thought he was really poor.

Yeah he was for a large part, though he was also unlucky. He really deserved more than 1 wicket for the spell he produced on the morning of day 1. And he started excellently on day 4 as well. On another day the jaffa that he bowled to Root first ball would've taken the edge and then he would've had Stokes into bat on a hattrick ball in the first over of the day with England still 60 runs in deficit. Who knows what would've happened next in that scenario. I also don't think that Southee was helped by McCullum constantly chopping and changing the quicks around after 2 or 3 overs. Southee is at his best when he gets to bowl long 7-8 over spells to help him set batsmen up. Anyway, I'm backing him to come good in the second test.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So guys...what about Craig? He hasn't been discussed in much detail here and imo his poor performance was a massive factor in letting England back into the game. Root really took him apart at times and that probably dented his confidence but if he fails again the next match does he stay on or is it back to Sodhi? Imo Ish is one of the best batsmen in the tail i've ever seen and was a big reason why NZ's tail has been strong in recent times.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Congrats to England on a fine performance. After being behind for much of the came they dominated the last two days and beat us fair and square.

Positives for NZ: Boult and the ever reliable Watling
Negatives: Too many but Southee's performance must be the main concern. In fact since the 7/33 against England in the WC he has been pretty ordinary.