• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Mayweather is quite entitled to claim he's the best ever. He's without question the best defensive technician ever, has a perfect record across a long career, and has beaten every challenger convincingly.

Plenty of people can argue the point but he's definitely up there.
ESPN dissecting him as we post (e.g. Teddy Atlas and Bernard Hopkins don't rank him in the top 20)

Guy is a great fighter but has hand-picked his opponents for his entire career

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dont be fooled by those who point you just to the raw numbers. Manny lost that fight but effective aggression is part of the scoring criteria.

“A hostile or forceful behavior designed to create a desired or intended result, or produce a favorable impression.”

He didnt just plod forward but he was the aggressor for most of the fight. I gave him a couple of close rounds based on that. He just didnt land enough clean punches (another scoring criteria) to win the fight.
Well maybe, but there were a number of occasions where Mayweather deliberately drew himself towards the ropes, either because he couldn't be bothered running or because a great deal of style is counter-punching.

Pacquiao was never directing the show.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
ESPN dissecting him as we post (e.g. Teddy Atlas and Bernard Hopkins don't rank him in the top 20)

Guy is a great fighter but has hand-picked his opponents for his entire career
Every champion picks their fights. Is there anyone in particular he hasn't fought?

The fact that he hasn't really had a great rival shouldn't detract from his career. He's just been too good for everyone.

The closest was maybe Oscar De La Hoya, a great fighter in his own right.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Internet is full of people saying mayweather is a ***** and didn't deserve to win.

I'm guessing legit boxing fans are tearing their hair out in frustration atm. Would be like cricket fans trying to argue against casual cricket watchers that think Dhoni is better than Dravid because sixes.

OverratedSanity

Internet is full of people saying mayweather is a ***** and didn't deserve to win.

I'm guessing legit boxing fans are tearing their hair out in frustration atm. Would be like cricket fans trying to argue against casual cricket watchers that think Dhoni is better than Dravid because sixes.
Manny isn't Dhoni ffs man

harsh.ag

Lennox Lewis is someone I can think of (from those I have seen) who could have taken apart Mayweather's game.

Daemon

Lennox Lewis is someone I can think of (from those I have seen) who could have taken apart Mayweather's game.
I just googled him and he had about 20cm and 40 kilos on him..so while you're technically right I'm not sure what your point is

social

Every champion picks their fights. Is there anyone in particular he hasn't fought?

The fact that he hasn't really had a great rival shouldn't detract from his career. He's just been too good for everyone.

The closest was maybe Oscar De La Hoya, a great fighter in his own right.
It's not who he fought but when he fought them

De La Hoya was all but washed up and coming down in weight after being dominated by Hopkins

Pacquiao too small for the weight/too old

Juan Manuel Marquez was way too small for the weight as was Hatton

Alvarez was a kid

Mosley was finished

If the truth be known, his best win was either Gatti or Corrales (although that was tainted by his legal troubles) and they were more than a decade ago

Little doubt that Floyd ducked prime Pac, Martinez and hurried down a weight when GGG mentioned his name

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

De La Hoya was all but washed up and coming down in weight after being dominated by Hopkins

Alvarez was a kid

Mosley was finished

If the truth be known, his best win was either Gatti or Corrales (although that was tainted by his legal troubles) and they were more than a decade ago

Little doubt that Floyd ducked prime Pac, Martinez and hurried down a weight when GGG mentioned his name
Feels dirty agreeing with Social but I do.

Having said that a lot of champs cherry pick the opponents in the same way to remain at the top longer, can't blame them for doing it.

dermo

International Vice-Captain

Alvarez was a kid

Mosley was finished

GGG would smash mayweather imo

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Alvarez was a kid

Mosley was finished

Disagree with most of this.

De La Hoya was 34 at the time, that's not old at all for boxing standards. The fight was at light middleweight, which wasn't really a drop for De La Hoya and was one up for Mayweather. De La Hoya was the reigning champ, hardly a washed up old man. I agree that when Pacquiao beat him up the next year (and De La Hoya went down to welterweight for that match too) he was past it.
Mayweather himself was also better 5 years ago. Even faster than what we saw tonight. It was very nearly impossible to hit him.

Shane Mosley was actually the closest any boxer came to beating Mayweather.