• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

jcas0167

International Debutant
So, how would an uncapped XI of the season look?

Will Young
Jeet Raval
Stephen Murdoch
Brad Cachopa
Tom Bruce
Derek de Boorder (+)
Anton Devcich
Ben Wheeler
Matt Quinn
James Baker
Jacob Duffy

Henry Nicholls (12th Man)

Something like that, perhaps? Really not many spin bowling options.
This looks good, but I'd prefer Munro ahead of Brad Cachopa. His runs and strike rate are incredible.

It's cool to see someone like Bruce who has cracked it into the CD team and had a great debut season.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
God the batting in that Uncapped XI is wretched btw. All this talk of "a selfless culture" by Hesson on the radio today, it remains to be seen whether you can actually produce any young princes of the art of batsmanship with that mentality, doesn't it NZC.

Howsie

International Captain
There's most of the ND top / middle order there ....

Disappointing for Carter, saw him play once last season, looked compact and well organised. maiden FC century this season then a run of low scores. Needs a good 3rd season to get back on track for higher honours.
The structure of the domestic season really doesn't help a player of Carter's ilk. Doesn't play any limited overs stuff so he's pretty much stuck playing club/second XI stuff for two or so months of the season.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Upon reviewing those stats, I think I am going to make Grobbelaar my new target for someone who shouldn't be in FC cricket. Yeah he is a handy cricketer but has bits and pieces written all over him.
He's one of those players you'd love to see the back of for a younger player, yet he always seems to do just enough to keep getting picked. A real annoying player.

Flem274*

123/5
Now that he's scoring big runs in the top four and breaking his own law,it might be time for me toadmit lord colin munro is a bit good and his one off test where most others also sucked doesn't reflect his potential to be a perfectly fine test #7 averaging low 30s if we need him.

I still maintain he'd be the genuine test match batsman goods if his freakish talent was discovered earlier. I can't believe he was allowed to wither away as a club medium pacer for so long.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Now that he's scoring big runs in the top four and breaking his own law,it might be time for me toadmit lord colin munro is a bit good and his one off test where most others also sucked doesn't reflect his potential to be a perfectly fine test #7 averaging low 30s if we need him.

I still maintain he'd be the genuine test match batsman goods if his freakish talent was discovered earlier. I can't believe he was allowed to wither away as a club medium pacer for so long.
It is time for the 2nd Law of Munro to be introduced

1st rule of Munro: Any runs scored from lower than number 4 in the batting order are to be discounted

2nd rule of Munro*: Any runs scored at a SR of greater than 70 are to be discounted as they are sloggy runs.

*Note this rule would have discounted some of Hamish Rutherford's innings and Peter Ingram's so it is long overdue.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really a surprise, but Graeme Aldridge retires: Team titles meant most to Northern Districts record-setter Graeme Aldridge | Stuff.co.nz

Lovely guy when I've spoken to him and a great servant to ND cricket. Still played well this season and probably could have kept going a bit longer, but with youngsters around and coming through up in Hamilton, I guess there was no need for him to do so. All the best for the future to him.
Really solid domestic player, and probably deserved a few more international opportunities than he got.

Flem274*

123/5
hahaha munros FC record is just stupid atm. Had no idea it was that good.
Yeah he's the MVP batsman in the Shield. Average of 50 with a strike rate of 90? He's crazy.

The only team he sucks against is ND and the only ground he has failed at is the Basin.

We're just going to have to accept he's one of those freaks who can see ball hit ball at first class level.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That law doesn't work. Baz, ross, gup and even the more sedate kane would fail it if they played shield.
Guptill's 161* against ND last year was at a SR of 63 that was last year after his "second coming". cbf to check other innings but i would suspect they would be in the 60s as well.

Taylor's test SR is 57, given how circumspect he bats now days I would be surprised if he would go at over 70 in the Plunket.

The other person who went at over 70 or at least did when first going to Otago was our friend Jesse - and his high SR was a sign that he was in cbf mode at most times.

Other people who bat at a high SR include peeps like Scott KJ so I think my proposal weeds a lot of peeps who don't bat that seriously.

Anyway - you made up the first law and I am honing in on your idea so I am happy to leave you to this territory.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. Two hour drive to the Mount wasn't really worth it in the end but hats off to Canterbury, they've got a bloody decent team down their at the moment (except for Hira). ]Nuttall was all class, definitely a touch quicker then I remember him being. Hopefully he can stay injury free and put together a quality season next year.

As for Northern Districts we really need to pull a fast bowler or two out of the woodwork. Cody Andrews was 12th man for this game and without being harsh he isn't first class standard. We have a couple of Under 19 guys who look like quality prospects (one having clocked over 140k at 17) but they're obvs two or so years away from being ready. Perhaps we can poach Nuttall and promise him some international cricket within a year :D

Yeah getting Nuttall bowling in Hamilton would be good for ND and the nation tbh. Wheeler's pretty lucky the season ended when it did, if Nuttall was going to keep this bowling up for another couple of rounds without breaking.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Everything about him looks hyperactive. The run up, the action, the ball itself, and then the appeals and celebrations.

It's like he has 7 energy drinks before a game and plays on fast forward.

I like him.