• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Team from the Group Stage

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Boult was for Athlai who can't go past his fanboyism

The Shami part was for you. You said that a fair minded person couldn't argue for Shami over Southee. Southee is getting a bit too much love I reckon, he hasn't been consistent enough. 1 game can't put you in a tournament team. Shami has been excellent throughout.
The fact that I think it's fairly clear in both instances doesn't mean I think there's a lot in it.

FTR, how would you rank the 4? (including Starc).

For me it's quite clearly been;

Starc
Boult
Southee
Shami

Athlai

Not Terrible
Quite simply, that is because he is our powerplay and death bowler.. HE bowls during the mandatory and batting powerplays and then during the slog... And what do you mean by Jam? I would say the ability to bowl at the death and powerplays is just as important for a fast bowler...

All said, I still think Shami has been the 4th best in this WC behind Starc, Boult and Southee.. in that order.
By jam I mean getting blokes out slogging. I would have Shami up there but not ahead of those three.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
By jam I mean getting blokes out slogging. I would have Shami up there but not ahead of those three.

I dunno.. I would place more value for a bowler who can get people out at the death on flat tracks than someone who swings players out in favorable conditions.. Look, having watched the 4 bowlers most of the time in the WC (against non minnows), I stick to the order I mentioned.. But you are really putting down Shami's achievements and overplaying Southee's quite a bit here. Southee has been better IMO too, but not by that much...

Flem274*

123/5
southee can do that too, he just hasn't had much of a chance because only bangers and SL have made it to the death

Sarun

U19 Debutant
A lot of Shami's wickets have a distinct taste of jam. I think the most striking thing about look at his performances was that unlike Starc, Southee and Boult. He wasn't brought on to find a wicket in the 20-30 over period pretty much at all. Would definitely still have him below the other 3 IMO.
Pretty reaching here because stats (when trying to showcase with stats) cannot conform to your bias.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@Flem:

Well... as I said, it is a WC XI and I am basing it on WC performances.. We do not know if Shami can't do the second spell striking thingy either because he has not had that opportunity in a side which has two decent to good ODI spinners who generally bowl the majority of those overs between powerplays.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Shami (and most of the other Indian bowlers) actually almost went below my radar tbh when picking my list (will make some changes once the group matches are done).:laugh:

Almost quite underrated!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, to me the clincher was the 7-for... IT really shows he can dominate a batting side and run through them in a way Shami has not been able to, so far... That is an important facet of a strike bowler in my eyes and hence I am rating Southee higher. But the arguments Athlai is coming up with are pretty poor to make his case... It is almost as if it is a bad thing to be able to deliver wickets during the batting powerplay and the slog overs...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCullum
Dilshan
Sangakara
de Villiers
Dhoni +
Maxwell
Vettori
Ashwin
Southee
Starc
Boult
Nice side Shri, but you might as well bat Maxwell ahead of Dhoni and let Dhoni do what he does best in coaxing the lower order & bringing it home when chasing.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nice side Shri, but you might as well bat Maxwell ahead of Dhoni and let Dhoni do what he does best in coaxing the lower order & bringing it home when chasing.
Dhoni's selling point has been his ability to promote or demote himself in the order according to the situation of the game. Those two can switch when the situation requires it. Maxwell can go big from ball one on current form, Dhoni needs a bit of time these days to get it(SR) up. Being older and all that.:ph34r:

viriya

International Captain
I'd be quite interested in what most 'neutrals' think about the Southee vs. Shami battle, as I've said, I really thought it was fairly clear.
It's fairly clear that Shami > Southee in this WC so far. Obviously that's not the case overall. Some people are just too enamored by the pretty boy's looks.